Aikido full contact

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by hao, Sep 17, 2003.

1. hao

hao New Member

Has anyone ever seen a full contact fight in Aikido?
    I mean there cenrtainly are, but does anyone know any link where I can find some movie from full contact competitions ? thanx in advance.

2. Virtuous

Virtuous New Member

Ive done Randori with random rapid full speed attacks. As far as Aiki goes thats about as full contact as it gets. The problem is to safely do this you need Ukes who are very good at ukemi waza which makes it look 'rigged' or choreographed. The problem with Aiki techniques is a good portion of them can easily mame some one who doesnt know how to recieve them which makes combatitive competions very dangerous. So most competitions involving Aiki generally focus on the proficiency of a technique. Even at full contact Aiki should look the same as when in training, the difference is the Uke may get hurt real bad.
    Sorry I cant give you a definitive answer.

3. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

I think its more aimed at someone

what was doing Aikido against a random person with non MA or non Aikido attacks.

4. hao

hao New Member

I can image what may happend to someone when he attacks without thinking and can't react for aikido technique as he should to.
    What I was wandering, are thare any official tournaments (I've heard, they are, but I have no info :( ), where aikidokas fight for real (jus like karate tournament, or other full contact martial arts styles)? <- only full contact traditional Aikido! Who's better, who can escape, who can complete his technique.

This may sounds weird, couse Aikido is not a style based on offense, that's why i wonder how ProAkidokas couse attacks and fight eachother.

P.S. Sorry for my poor english ;)

5. Tintin

Tintin Cats: All your base...

Not sure what you mean by full contact, but if you mean someone defending against any attack with only Aikido waza then I doubt it. I've certainly never heard of any such tournamebts.

On the other hand, Shodokan tournaments (I refrain from calling them 'Tomiki tournaments' as Tomiki Aikido IS Shodokan) exist, having just come back from the worlds last month in Leeds.
    The randori shiai events can be pretty full on.

You might want to look at a description of randori shiai:
    http://homepage2.nifty.com/shodokan/en/kyogi1.html

Some videos of the worlds (no guarantee of the quality of aikido as I've not watched half of them myself yet. There is apparently a video being made at the moment of the comp.
    http://www.wakefield-aikido.co.uk/multimedia.htm

6. raybri-san

raybri-san New Member

whit aikido full contact in my opinion you have to be willing to die otherwise you can not be yousing full atami's and a full good atami belife me can make that happend so there for a think there are not many people want to do that WHY? aikido is not about killing it greates harmonie
    -----------------------------------------------
    treu victory=self victory

7. Tintin

Tintin Cats: All your base...

Surely you always take that risk with anything full contact. Boxers know this and on occasion have died. This is why there are rules in place to control it, although as in life accidents will always happen

8. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

Sadly MMA is the only way

To fully test a style or go out and get into streetfights but this is as we know illegal!

It the best method of testing a style and todate Aikido has not done too well on the few occassions it has entered.

9. timmeh!

timmeh! New Member

"It the best method of testing a style and todate Aikido has not done too well on the few occassions it has entered."

Sonshu - might be worth reading Scotsgits post on the subject of an attempted mugging - (Aikido in a "real fight" thread), Aikido / aikijutsu did alright that day thankfully.