Aikido classes in Sydney?

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by nzric, Feb 17, 2004.

1. nzric

nzric on lookout for bad guys

Simple question - I'm taking a forced break from my Chinese IMA training and I'm looking around at other arts. Does anyone know a good Aikido class that trains in Sydney on Wednesday, Friday or the weekend?

Also, I've been doing taijiquan and bagua for three years now and I'm getting interested in chin na techniques. Will that help with aikido? any advice/comments?

2. aikiscotsman

aikiscotsman Banned Banned

Yes his name is Mik merreli and is easily one of the best you will find him near crows nest. www.aiki.com.au. Mik has spent alot of time training in Iwama which if you dont know is the most important place if you want to find the closest you can to the founders technique, there are a few other good schools in Sydney. But try miks class out see what you think and tell him stefen From scotland says hi and say hi to all the other gang for me. tell James i said train harder.

3. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

Woooha ! hold your freakin horses!!
    That statement borders on the offensive, and sends a CLEAR message that Iwama is the only style that the founder taught. Bull****.

Sorry If I offend you Aikiscotsman but that kind of opinion is rubbish.

4. aikiscotsman

Why is it rubbish? How does it send a clear message that Iwama is the only good Aikido. thats a lot of mince mate. Like it or not Iwama is the home of the founder it is were he properly fromed Aikido, It is the home to Aiki ken and Aiki jo. Saito sensei was the longest ever UCHI DESHI for the founder at nearly 26 years. It is the founders Aikido that was taught from the late thirties until his death in his own dojo, the HQ, or the Hombu was mostly ran by KIssamura and Tohei who where already changing There Aikido, And there was a big difference to what the founder was teaching in Iwama to what his son was teaching.Saito sensei said after the founders death that he could not change the Aikido as it is not his to change. So if you dont like history mate tough S**t. There are many great teachers out there who where taught before the Iwama years and before the art was called Aikido and after those years as well they dont have to come from Iwama to be good but it is definatly more pure. sorry but thats life

5. aikiscotsman

Why is it rubbish? How does it send a clear message that Iwama is the only good Aikido. thats a lot of mince mate. Like it or not Iwama is the home of the founder it is were he properly fromed Aikido, It is the home to Aiki ken and Aiki jo. Saito sensei was the longest ever UCHI DESHI for the founder at nearly 26 years. It is the founders Aikido that was taught from the late thirties until his death in his own dojo, the HQ, or the Hombu was mostly ran by KIssamura and Tohei who where already changing There Aikido, And there was a big difference to what the founder was teaching in Iwama to what his son was teaching. As told by the seconmd Doshu who wrote to all aikikai clubs afew years ago stating all this.Saito sensei said after the founders death that he could not change the Aikido as it is not his to change. So if you dont like history mate tough S**t. There are many great teachers out there who where taught before the Iwama years and before the art was called Aikido and after those years as well they dont have to come from Iwama to be good but it is definatly more pure. sorry but thats life

6. Dave Humm

I suggest you address those comments to the likes of Chiba, Yamada, Tamura, Kanai, Shihans etc etc etc.

Iwama ISN'T the only source of quality or pure Aikido and if you truely believe that then you have been brain washed.

I won't decry Iwama Aikido, I very much like it but attitudes like yours simply divide Aikido. You might as well have said that the Aikikai in Japan is no longer Aikido, and that the Doshu doesn't practice "real" aikido. Or that the IAF no longer represents the interests of Aikido world wide.

7. aikiscotsman

I suggest you address those comments to the likes of Chiba, Yamada, Tamura, Kanai, Shihans etc etc etc.

why these guys are amazing shihans who said they were not. Who said it was the only place of quality. But it is definatly the closest to the founders tech. Why would this make other styles bad? Im very confused

8. aikiscotsman

I will say one other thing though. I ve seen just as many Iwama style clubs that are Just as S**t as lots of other club styles. ive seen hombu and ki classes that are far better than Iwama clubs. but you will always get bad instructors no matter what style. The most important thing is you enjoy your keiko and train as hard as you want the tech to work sorry for the bad language Dave.

9. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

What about the Shioda lineage?

Shioda Sensei was given licence to teach by O'Sensei. The different breakaways seems to represent the style O'sensei practiced at the point in time that that student left him, no?

Col

10. aikiscotsman

What about shioda? I have not said one negative thing about any off the old shihans. Shioda was a total Tiger. but he was teaching what he was taught pre Iwama or pre war. When it was more Aiki jujitsu. look at the difference in his body he has no hanmi only prre war stance which is total jujitsu or kenjutsu. So he was an amazing teacher and the style is amazing too. Yoshinkan is an amaing system like most offthe other style when taught and practiced properly INCLUDING IWAMA

11. Dave Humm

Ok, I take your points as they are well presented but, the point i'd like to make is that your statement above leads readers to believe that Iwama is the only place you can get instruction that is "close" to the "techniques" the founder taught. This is not true.

I've studied Aikido for 17 years, had the pleasure of studying with several Iwama Ryu students here in the UK and over seas and their technique was pretty much identical to mine and I'm a member of an Aikikai Organisation. I'm not questioning history, I'm very well versed on the founder's chronology but, the fact remains that quality aikido is just that, regardless of where you get it from. I mentioned the Shihans purely beacuse each of them was an uchideshi, and each of them trusted with the Founder's desire to promote Aikido beyond Japan. Not a responsibility given lightly to those who might teach something that doesn't resemble O-Sensei's teachings.