Aikido. Any other "Soft" Styles?

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Shihuo, Sep 4, 2003.

1. Shihuo

Shihuo New Member

Hello all. :D

As of current, I am not involved in any form of martial arts. However, I am looking at them and may deside to do so. From what I have seen, I think that I would prefer a "soft" style; one in which is basicly based on a defensive format... responding to the attackers' attack upon you. Aikido seems to fall in that catigory which I would be looking at.

My question is this.... Are there any other styles that I should look at as well? And if so, why that style? How does it differ from Aikido?

:cool: Regards...

2. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Aikido qualifies.

People who have seen both aikido and bagua zhang tell me that the two are similar. I have only read of bagua, but it sounds it might be what you're looking for. Bagua is one of the three main Chinese "soft" or "internal" martial arts. The other two are tai chi, and xing-i. Bagua incorporates throws, as does aikido, and circular movements, as does aikido, and reliance on technical expertise over muscle strength, as does aikido, but, unlike aikido, it includes strikes meant to hurt and to finish the fight.

I'd look at tai chi also, but keep in mind that most tai chi schools in the US and Canada teach it for health, not for combat ability. Tai chi is basically a striking art, but it is entirely premised upon "ki" power and proper posture, not muscle power.

I'd look at judo also. The principals behind judo and aikido are very similar, and historically, judo masters often sent their high-ranking students to the aikido headquarters to study aikido because (they said) aikido was the highest expression of judo's underlying technical basis. For example, Sensei's Tohei and Tomiki of aikido fame were judo experts before they started in aikido. Keep in mind though that all but a few judo schools teach the sport version of judo, not the original self-defense version. Judo and aikido have many of the same throws and they both teach pins and joint locks, but judo is ground-wrestling game, whereas aikido students remain on their feet. Neither art makes much use of strikes.

Of course there's the parent of aikido and judo, aiki-jujutsu, and their grandparent art jujitsu, but they are both combative martial arts, and I wouldn't categorize them as "soft" in the same sense that aikido and judo and tai chi are "soft." I'd put aiki-j and jj in a different category. And in jj especially, you'd learn a lot of offense. You said that you wanted to focus on defense.

That's all I can think of right now.

3. Shihuo

Shihuo New Member

Sweet.....

Thanks for that reply...quite infomitave.. I'll take a look at those too. I don't recall hearing of Bangua Zhang before, but I'll look it up.

I just want to make the right decision, both in the sence of what is right for me, and also before I part with my money, which I hate waisting.

Thanks again.

:) Regards...

4. Sub zero

Sub zero Valued Member

I don't know if there are any clubs in canada.But trya yoshikan aikido .I don't study the style personally but it is a great style.Used to train the tokyo riot police.

(read angry whit pyjamas by robert twigger) great book

5. Hakko-Ryu

Hakko-Ryu New Member

Tai-chi would be a good choice, if it were combat base that is. Preferably Chen style tai-chi. Chen style tai chi is explosive and powerful, and was made for self defense. It incorporates everything from strikes, kicking, throwing, locking. So yea its a good blend of "soft" and "deadly." and small circle jujitsu would also be a good choice for a soft yet deadly art. Look for a jujitsu school that incorporates everything from Judo (as a self defense opposed to sport) to Ground work and self defense. Aikido is good but is toned down a bit on the "deadly" side. It can still be deadly, but aikido mostly emphasizes on harmonious and balance without destroying your opponent into broken pieces. so take your pick!

6. Ayanir

Ayanir New Member

If I remember correctly I believe their is a legitimate Ninjutsu school in Ottawa. A rare style with an even rarer chance of having real training in it, perhaps you could look into that as well.

7. Shihuo

Shihuo New Member

will do...thanks

8. Paratus

Paratus aka Mr. Rue

Hapkido also is considered a "soft" art, although there are many strikes and kicks, etc. but its main principles are to diverte the attackers energy in a way to use it against themselves, simliar to Aikido, which Hapkido gets some throws from, but it also borders on a "hard" art (IMO) because of its strikes and kicks. So i think its worth checking out as well, but if want a true "soft" and/or internal I'd say Aikido or combative based Tai-Chi

9. aikiscotsman

aikiscotsman Banned Banned

AIKIDO a soft art, that is very funny.