Aikido And Weapons Principles

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Polar Bear, Mar 21, 2007.

1. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Jodan kamae (high attitude) Is avery aggresive posture, however it is most difficult to attain this podture without leaving yourself vulnerable to the suki (opening) that arises as you raise the sword.(a thrust to the throat)
    So jodan is usually adopted from a large maai.Therfore the sword would be in the high position before you move.
    However there are instances where you may have struck the kote (wrist) and then moved on to shomen (head) while the opponent is injured.
    Often jodan kamae is called "striving for height" meaning you show a superior fighting attitude and intimidate the opponent.

Striking and moving are done as one.

The use of jodan kamae in aikido is to suddenly strike at the opponent's head and as he defends and cut the defending arm down for ikkyo etc.

We must never remain in jodan kamae as is often seen in aikido when the attacker's arm is "stopped" and then cut down. The cut should instantly cut from jodan to chudan (middle) on contact.

regards koyo

Jodan kamae

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 22, 2007
  2. koyo

In martial arts it is a fundamental principle that we must execute techniques in such a manner that we never leave openings for a counter. This demands that we protect our centreline at all times.The kisaki is the point of the sword and it ALWAYS threatens the enemy's centreline until we attack.If we ever move back the kisaki remains threatening his centreline so as you say the sword never retreats.

Below although Derek has chosen to be the aggresor. My kisaki controls the centreline therefor he shall be defeated either by a thrust or kessa giri.

During aikido techniques if this principle is not obeyed much of what you see in some aikidoka would be totally impractical leaving countless openings.

regards koyo

kisaki

Attached Files:

3. tedi-kuma

tedi-kuma Valued Member

Thanks Koyo. This is the type of advice that we should all strive to make work through everything we do in our Aikido! These fundamentals will help all martial artists not just Aikidoka.

You once said to me "relax you ankles" and "your feet should be like a crow's on snow"!

Can you explain the importance of the comments?

Regards

Teddy Bear

4. koyo

Crow hopping,as I explained it to you, is used when I may have to take a large stride to change the rythm , break the timing,or/and control the maai. In the photograph if I take the weight onto my forward foot my centre of balance is lost so my rear foot shall folow up it can look like I "hopped" into position. THis to avoid dachi (stance) any stance shall "trap me" for that instant. the strike and the throw shall be executed on the move and again the rear foot shall follow. We must never step on to one foot (plodding) chaging the weight distribution.

This cannot be achieved if the ankles are tight or the knees locked. Hence "crow hopping".

Aikido is a CONFRONTATION of spirits. (now there is a thought for you)

Attached Files:

5. tedi-kuma

tedi-kuma Valued Member

It was advice I found enlightening and I have working on since. I have steadily noticing the improvement it makes to my movement. Thanks again for it.

Confrontation of two spirits is an intersting thought. I surmise that after some thought the result of conflict lies in this confrontation because once your spirit is dominated openings will appear.

Regards

Teddy Bear

6. Keikai-Tsutsumi

Keikai-Tsutsumi New Member

koyo

This has been an interesting read. Do you have the set of kata known as Kentai Ichi no Kata? These are two person kata to show the relationship between sword and unarmed technique. I know Yoseikan Aikido has a slightly different variation to the Tsutsumi Ju Jutsu and I am wondering if it is used in Aikido in general.

7. koyo

Hi keikai

We have the Kumi tachi which can mean the same (body sword relation) and the ki musubi (spirit blending) and 7suburi .And a similar system for the jo plus ken and jo relationship also ken and jo dori (taking the weapons) and retaining the weapons. These are as taught by O Sensei to Saito Morihiro.

I trained under Saito Morihiro and received a mokuroku in sword and stick. The other influences are from cross training with friends who are shihan in kendo.

Makotokai (my club) train in traditional aikido riai (meaning complete) and retain the martial aspects. Many other aikido clubs and associations study swordwork to some degree to enhance their training.Saito shihan was recognised as the master of aiki weapons. Since his death his form of training has become known as Iwama aikido.

receiving mokuroku from Saito shihan early 80's

regards koyo

Any input or comment shall be most welcome.(I shall post on the kumi tachi for your interest)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 24, 2007
  8. dentoiwamaryu

dentoiwamaryu Valued Member

Thats a great pic of you and the chief koyo. where was that taken?

9. koyo

Hi Dento

The photograph was taken in a dojo in Cambridge. I thought it ill mannered to take photos of Saito shihan so I only have a few from that period. below is another.

regards koyo

Attached Files:

10. Rock Ape

Rock Ape Banned Banned

What Koyo is describing is tenouchi with shiburi.

Shiburi is essentially the 'wringing' action used to apply control and tension through the tsuka at the point of contact with the target.

To develop the muscles in one's forarms to correctly perfom both correct tenouchi and shiburi do the following: (regularly)

Hold a regular length/weight bokuto in one hand (both left and right) just above the base of the tsuka. The emphasis of the grip should be with just the last three fingers, the index and thumb should not influence the grip and should remain relaxed.

Now, perform as many shomenuchi/makko giri as possible using just this grip then alternate with the opposite hand.

Grab an old hand towel fold it down so its managable then begin to wring the towel out as if it were wet and holding the towel as if it were a sword handle - Right hand wrings clockwise and the left hand counter-clockwise.

Once the towel has reached its limit of twist, keep the tension on, then relax slightly then wring both hands together, consider 'pushing' the elbows closer together as you wring.

11. dentoiwamaryu

Ah the old towel rining exercise, i remember my first time in iwama, learning that sensie had a training system linked to almost everything and exactley that method of the towel ringing. any opportunity to develop kokyu as sensie would say. you even had to hold the wrapped up towel like a ken to develop the correct kokyu/ringing feel.

I managed to make a great tyre based tanren a couple of years ago and use it every day at the dojo with a good tskuba mountain tanren bokken. so so important for good strong posture.

12. dentoiwamaryu

Wish i had a scanner koyo then i could share some great pics of father and son ive collecte over the years in iwama. but im an old fashioned or tight fisted git, i should have went digital years ago.

13. koyo

I asked Chiba shihan for an exercise to strenghten the wrist for swordwork. His answer was Nikkyo :eek:

regards koyo

14. dentoiwamaryu

Oh well nothing to painful and difficult then! haha, certianly makes the joint solid,
    did you grab the chief by the wrist? like a bloody lampost mate
    His son is just a huge.

15. koyo

Steel wrapped in cotton wool. At a seminar I had just thrown my partner with irrimi nage , as I turned I saw that Saito shihan had just sent his partner into the air. A crash was inevitable. With just the slightest of change in his hip movement Saito shihan changed the direction of his partner's ukemi placing him on the only available spot on the mat. Saito shihan surprised my by saying in english, "It's a kind of magic!"

regards koyo

16. dentoiwamaryu

haha,, nice one sensei. zanshin prfect as usual. had no idea he was a queen fan though lol

17. koyo

The surugi that these guys are speaking of addresses the fact that the Japanese sword cuts on the push or pull. Sometimes this is missing when used as atemi (strikes empty hand) When the strike makes contact it MUST continue to push or pull to a kuzushi. Often it shall stop on target, This incorrect (Or should that be dami dami) :)

Below the atemi shall "push" the defending arm into a position that shall allow imobilisations or entry into a throw

regards koyo.

edit

great to have you aboard guys.

Attached Files:

18. dentoiwamaryu

God i need to get a scanner.

19. dentoiwamaryu

Thats what people where saying 10 years ago, now its digital. god im so slow.

20. koyo

CALM DOWN!! I remember beta max video. :D

Koyo