aikido and the dynamic sphere

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by God, Dec 11, 2003.

1. God

God New Member

ok.

this book labels nikyo as an immobilization...numbering it as 2. it also labels a specific technique for taking on left-hand-to-right-single hand wrist grab from the top as immobilization 2 against attack 1.

they grab your wrist, and you pull your arm back, generating a lack of balance. but then you do a big circle and come back around.

if this is a universal (more or less) technique, could someone tell me how to avoid giving them their balance back when you swing your arm back around? i was just planning on whipping and hopping so fast that they miss their chance... or do i miss the point?

2. Virtuous

Virtuous New Member

Its really hard to visualize what you are trying to explain. Could you possible be talking about Ikkyo? Ends in an arm bar with the uke bent over or eventually on the ground face down?

3. God

God New Member

no, nikkyo. but it's not the immobilization, it's the unbalancing of the uke. it's all totally linear, like you're playing mortal kombat, they use their left hand to grab the top of your rightt wrist, you pull back (setting them off blaance) and continue that motion in a giant circle, circling back around with both arms raised way up int he air and then drop down to nikkyo. the problem is that when you circle back around they can regain their balance...????

4. DexterTCN

DexterTCN New Member

The Dynamic Sphere :)

I had hours of fun colouring in all those little drawings.

Are you talking about page 181?

5. aikiscotsman

aikiscotsman Banned Banned

well for one thing you never pull your arm back in aikido not if the attacker is stronger. you use your whole body to shift your weight and take their balance. this sounds like kosa dori your talking about.

6. Virtuous

Virtuous New Member

My personal philosophy is the smaller the circle the better, giant circles are good for teaching tools and thats about it.

So use a smaller circle :)

7. DexterTCN

DexterTCN New Member

????

Are you talking about the illustration on page 181 of the book?

If not....which page?

8. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Aside: I love this book. If I could only have one aikido book I would choose this one.

"Katate dori nikyo." Got it.

Hint #1: Step off the line. Imagine train tracks from him to you. Step off the tracks to the outside. If he grabbed your R hand, step to your R as you step back, so you're moving on a diagonal.

Hint #2: Drop your hips (your "center") as you step back, so it's not so much your burly muscles that pulls him, but rather, it's your body weight that pulls him.

Hint #3: Turn your hips when you do the circle and when you put on the lock. Hip power, not arm power. (You'll have to turn your feet to maintain balance.) Aikido draws power from the hips, not from the arms.

Hint #4: Once he's down, he's down. The circle shouldn't go very high. Bend your knees so as to drop your own "center" down so that you don't have to raise his hand very high. This is probably where you're making your mistake. The lower you go, the less you have to raise him.