aikibujitsu/aikijitsu

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by God, Dec 12, 2003.

1. God

God New Member

what are the main differences between the agressive aiki- styles and aikido?

i don't mean ideologically, i mean like in actual action.

2. Virtuous

Virtuous New Member

In the more aggressive styles techniques are often obrieviated. The big flowery circles are replaced with very small ones, J steps are more linear and aggressive. Also alot of emphasis is placed on atemi and the liberal use of them.

3. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Ya, what he said. Plus, in the nice, harmonious -do arts the uke is in charge. Nage responds, and nage tries to blend with uke's energy instead of fighting against his power. But in the aggressive arts, nage takes charge. Nage tries to become the leader and tries to makes uke go where nage wants him to go, within of course the reasonable boundaries dictated by the attack.

4. Virtuous

Virtuous New Member

aikiMac, aikijutsu still blends with the uke's energy and to manipulate direction is simply done by manipulating uke's balance. There is no brute force applied here, still very fluid and graceful and the speed is determined by the uke's attack. Force is applied usually at the apex of technique, like the wrist lock of a kote gieshi for instance. Most of the time though force isnt needed, just an augmentation to the throw. Ill use Kote gieshi as another example. Aikijutsu version the uke's hand is held in front of the nage's obi at the apex of the throw, in aikido the uke's hand would be placed in front of his own obi making it easier to break fall. They really are subtle differences but they can make a tremendous impact on the uke.

There are some force on force techniques like certain versions of Sumi Otoshi (not the judo corner drop throw) where power is applied to power but offline of the attack. I dont know if aikido has these same versions.

5. aikiMac

Hmm. Interesting. I like it. Sounds like the force at the apex is where we differ. A textbook-perfect aikido kote gaeshi wouldn't use force even there. A shift of the hips would drop uke. (Not to say that I can always do it correctly. Easy to speak, hard to actually do.) But there's nothing wrong with putting a little "juice" into it!

6. Virtuous

Virtuous New Member

We still use hip waza and lots of it sometimes even a step to get the whole body mass involved, just with a little bit more umph :)

Here is another variation of the kote gieshi we do.

Say uke grabs right hand on to your right wrist.
    -atemi with left hand
    -grab ukes right hand and peal away with a kote lock, you're left
    hand should be perpindicular to your body with ukes right hand
    on your left side.
    -While maintaining the kote lockspin inwards so your back is to
    the uke. maintain the same position of his locked wrist though.
    So when you are done spinning in your left arm should be across
    your chest with uke's hand on your right side about shoulder
    height
    -Take your right arm and weave it behind the ukes upper arm and
    then replace your left handed kote lock with a right handed
    revers kote lock.
    -You know have the uke's arm locked and leveraged on your arm.

With a good ki breath and gentle snap of the arm you send your
    uke into a very high breakfall.

The throw is off to the right side if you want to be nasty, forward if you want to be nice btw.
    The generic name for this throw is an arm bar kote gieshi the traditional name I keep forgetting. I know it sounds pretty complicated but with practice you'll see it isnt too bad and comes on very fast (No worse than a tenkan irimi IMO).

This sets up really well with a tenkan movement to initiate the throw, much like a circular kote gieshi.

Just hope your uke's are quick on their feet when this is applied at full speed.

I can spout off the major variations all day but Im sure they are hard to visualize.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2003
  7. aikiMac

Wow. I don't think I've ever seen that one demonstrated. Reverse kotegaeshi ... I'm following you. I've seen that portion of it before. Very nice. (And very high breakfall indeed.)

8. Jordan

Jordan Valued Member

In aikijitsu an Nikkyo wrist lock is used to break the two bones in the forearm, in Aikido the nikkyo is used to lock the joints but not to break them. Also a man I know does aikijitsu and form the looks of his movement the tactics are not as flowing as Aikido movements.

9. Virtuous

Virtuous New Member

aikijutsu is still a harmonizing art, you blend with the attackers energy. Now it may not look as nice and flowery as aikido but it should still be smooth. If it looks very jagged and that the nage appears to be forcing the technique then he has very poor technique. When force is applied it should look just as smooth but the uke will certainly be able to tell you how much more power is applied. This has always been my experience

10. Virtuous

Virtuous New Member

Im still trying to figure out how to break some one's arm with a Nikkyo.... A good wrist thrashing/breakage is all I can think of. I always looked at Nikkyo as a good technique to let some one you mean buisness and if they still want to be a punk it transfers into ikkyo or a sankyo based projection throw rather nicely.

11. God

God New Member

i don't think breaking bones is necessary in such devestating locks...merely the idea that you may do that is intimidating enough to end a battle "peacefully". and plus, i would dim mak them if they fronted further

12. Virtuous

Virtuous New Member

As a MA you have the responsibility to use good judgement when you determine what is an acceptable level of force. But this is one of the major differences between aikido and aggressive aiki ideaology.