Aiki Ribbons with Energy Flow.....!!!

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by towag, Jul 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. towag

towag Valued Member

Well fellers and felines opinions please...!!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8J5EMD6N-cA&NR=1&feature=fvwp"]‪Energy Flow Demonstration‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

:rolleyes:

2. dentoiwamaryu

dentoiwamaryu Valued Member

Stopped it at 1min 20 secs, id rather watch paint dry

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Any artist at the highest level appears not to be putting in any effort. It is therefore very difficult to see where the energy is applied and how that energy feels to the opponent.

I have to say though that the opponent in this video seems all to complient.
    Sure it is easy to say that watching one video clip; many of us (me inlcuded) have shot videos explaining how a technique is delivered, the work is complient and slow in order that the technique can be understood by the student it is intended for.

I looked closely at this though and the instructor did not appear to have any energy about him. That little something that tells you the technique can really be applied and is painful to the opponent at full speed.

What I do find at fault with these clips is the way the defender almost falls over when touched. I accept the arguement that if really applied the technique is painfull and it is better to roll with the technique, but if this is how the drill is done all the time then a few students are in for a shock when faced with someone who is less complient.

I would ask of the OP "what is your own opinion"?

4. towag

towag Valued Member

Pulls in the dosh though!! One of KW's students..... :rolleyes:

5. towag

towag Valued Member

I think you already know that!!!

6. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I've never done any Aikido, so need to be a little cautious when passing comment. I have though spent enough time in the arts to understand energy, structure, intent and so on. The intent in my opinion is where this particular clip fell short. As I said earlier though, it is easy to make that conclusion from one video.

7. Griffin

Griffin Valued Member

Ribbons!?! He's lost his frggin mind :wow:

8. towag

towag Valued Member

Obvious is obvious?...... Gut feeling?

9. towag

towag Valued Member

Yeehaaay!!!

10. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Ribbons? Seriously? I dropped several testosterone levels watching it...now I have to go and watch "300" three times in a row whilst chewing broken glass and flailing my back with barbed wire

11. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

12. towag

towag Valued Member

1st prize a holiday in the Caribbean - 2nd a 50 inch TV - 3rd a set of Ribbon Dancing DVDs....:) He's paying!! Koloskicough that is!!:evil:
    That's if you have the guts to watch it all the way through!!!!

13. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

That was embarrassing to watch.

It shatters my mind that people still buy into this crap.

14. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

1. OMG! NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

2. WHY!?!

3. Idiots who cannot move with the grace of a dainty wee dancing chick should not be allowed to purchase or use ribbons for anything much less a martial arts demo.

4. The aforementioned idiot could at least have gone to the trouble to get an uke who was interested in actually attacking.

5. In all seriousness I can see what this guy is trying to do. Showing the lines of movement and all. But it's just very poorly done. He just doesn't have the sort of graceful movement needed to pull this off nor a sufficiently committed uke.

6. Fairly sure we've had this video on here before.

15. towag

towag Valued Member

It doesn't mine!!! They are out there and they will be assimilated....
    That's if you can pay of course....:)

16. towag

towag Valued Member

You have!! And he's a seventh DAN!! **** me!! wonder what that makes me? Not that I give a *****!!

17. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Sigh. Please stop swearing. You might break the filter one day and this is a family friendly site.

Other than that. I agree with everything you've said.

18. towag

towag Valued Member

I wasn't, just your mind..... sod the filter!! Hate PC!! Filter works fine
    Glad you agree though.... ha ha!

19. towag

towag Valued Member

Seriously just for a while All joking aside what has this crap got to do with Aikido ? Are people like Klonky responsible for the vaporisation of Aikido as we know it - He is fodder for Bullshido...Decent people who study Aikido seriously are ridiculed because of such as the Klonk.
    Answers on a post card via care of Kluesnokicough Mind and Body development for weirdos R US....

20. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

I have a sudden urge to
    1. Take a nap

2. Do a facepalm

3. Perform Ikkyo Ura on somebody

4. Roundhouse someone in the knee

5. All of the above

after seeing this video.

This video is evil ;_;

Thread Status: