agreement

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by faster than you, May 9, 2005.

1. faster than you

faster than you Valued Member

please stop using their as the possesive for someone.
    :bang:

2. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Eh?

3. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

4. Drunken Miss Ho

Drunken Miss Ho New Member

It's to avoid gender trouble. Saying "their" seems less awkward than his/her. Sometimes I write using only feminine pronouns, but that's ridiculous on a forum like this where the majority of folks seem to be male. So I use "they and their", knowing it's incorrect, but not wanting to make everything male specific.

5. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Dazed & Confused

their is no point in believeing that they're is ever going to be harmony between everyone and there way of using grammar

:D ;)

P.S. If you read that as if there was nothing wrong with it, your brain has adapted to forum grammar, and you have nothing to worry about :)

6. Drunken Miss Ho

I'm so confused. Are we upset about using their as the possesive for a singular noun / pronoun? Or are we upset abot people saying "I've been their." and "Their doing it wrong."???

7. Athleng Nordic

Athleng Nordic Sadly passed away. RIP. Supporter

That hurt my head. :D

8. Bellator Manus

Bellator Manus Warrior of the Hand

That can hurt many people in they're heads.

9. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Jeez people are touchy today.

10. Athleng Nordic

That was yesterday, all better now.

11. faster than you

theirs something very funny about this thread. ;)

Last edited: May 10, 2005
  12. Bellator Manus

Bellator Manus Warrior of the Hand

They're definitely is.

13. Athleng Nordic

OW OW OW OW Ouch that hurts!

14. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Hey, you started the thread! :p

15. AZeitung

AZeitung The power of Grayskull

Technically, though, "his" is correct if you don't know the sex, not "his or her". That's coming from a PhD in English (not me, but an old teacher), which is why I almost always say "his".

16. Drunken Miss Ho

Yes, "his" is correct according to the old rules, but many feminist theorists and linguists have attempted to change this, as it shows a definite male bias in the language. It would be interesting to know what feminist speakers of romance languages have done regarding this problem. It's tiring to read older textbooks etc. that constantly refer to the reader or subject as a male. I've had professors that write using male pronouns, and professors that write using exclusively female pronouns, neither to me really cuts it, I would prefer something gender neutral (like ze, but no one uses that one, plus it's dorky) Language constantly changes and evolves, and should reflect the society that uses it.

OK, that reply was way too serious for this thread, but I have given this a lot of thought over the years.

Last edited: May 12, 2005
  17. faster than you

being insulted by his sounds petty, but i'm not a woman.

18. Drunken Miss Ho

The use of default male pronouns is not "insulting" (certainly not on an individual level), the problem is that it makes the male experience the "norm," and excludes the female experience. When we read "he" we think of a male, so when we read a phrase like "the architect works extensively on his portfolio" we automatically think of the architect as a man.

19. beef

beef New Member

I thought "their" is possessive?

Instead of writing he or she I sometimes use (s)he.

20. Drunken Miss Ho

I know, that's why I assumed the original post was about singular vs. plural. If it's not, I'm very confused.

That works, how do you do him/her? or his/her? I like the just plain she route, or to switch the genders back and forth, just to mess everything up. A side note- According to psychology rules you have to say he or she, not just he.