Against boxing

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by fogwall, Apr 26, 2004.

1. fogwall

fogwall New Member

From what I've seen, Aikidokas do alot of arm grabbing. Arm grabbing is neccessary for the throws/slams/submissions. How effective would Aikido be againt an experienced boxer. Those guys throw punches really fast, and is very difficult to get near them.

2. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Hi,

I'm sure this ones been done to death already. Check out the boxing forum and the Gen discuss forum.

Cheers,

Col

3. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

In every boxing match I've ever seen on TV, the boxers got so close to each other that it looked like they were hugging each other.

4. hedgehogey

hedgehogey Banned Banned

That is called clinching and is a very neccesary skill.

And no, arm grabs do not work against fast boxing punches.

5. Budd

Budd Valued Member

Hedgehogey is correct.

6. bigd

bigd New Member

well boxers are really fast and trained good andreally good shape. soyou better get a striking style under your belt as well, i mean it can be done, i dont thinkevery boxer could wup every aikido practitioner. but it really all depends on the student.

7. aikiMac

I know it's called clinching. I was being sarcastic. My point is that if boxers can get that close to each other, then why can't someone else? Like, maybe, a wing chun player with all his parries? Or maybe a silat player? Or maybe an escrima player? See, aikido has parries and slips and traps that look just like parries and slips and traps from these other three styles. I have no doubt that someone with exposure to yet another martial art would see similarities between aikido and his art, too.

And don't even say that a boxer would win against these guys. We already have TOO MANY style vs style threads.

8. Budd

Budd Valued Member

I don't want to inflate and style vs. style debates, because I don't think anyone's really arguing anything of the sort. Grabbing punches is just silly. Grabbing a pro-level boxer's punches is suicidal (and painful *ouch*). I also don't think aikido relies and grabbing things to work.

So, from where I'm standing, there's no argument.

9. mike-IHF

mike-IHF Valued Member

reply,

I have been asked about this boxing question alot, let's poit out the facts shall we. First when talking about boxers your talking about maybe 3% of the population. The average person, or let's say thug because those are the ones most likely to attack you, are not going to have the speed of Roy Jones junior. Your talking about ppl that train everyday of their lives to reach that point. Secondly, you don't just grab a punch out of mid air. You redirect the punch to unbalance the attacker, and take all opposition away, then at that point you can lock the joint, pin, or throw. "namaste"

10. Budd

Budd Valued Member

I don't disagree. So, Hedgehogey is correct AND there's no argument.

Fogwall, ask the advanced practitioners at your school if what they're doing is "grabbing punches".

Also, to the advanced folks here. Try "grabbing punches" on even the unskilled puncher (far from the Roy Jones Jr. level practitioner). It ain't too practical. I, personally, like the parry, clinch, deflect and blend methods much better.

11. aikiMac

Hmm, yes, we all do seem to be in agreement. Wow, how'd that happen?

I've tried grabbing punches out of the air. Can't do it. Nope. I salute anyone who can do it.

But I have succeeded at parry/trap and parry/crash (an unaesthetic form of trapping) and parry/walk-behind-him, all at a reasonable speed. No Roy Jones Jr., I admit, but a speed that gives me a reasonable level of hope for that day when I will actually be in a fistfight.

12. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Grabbing a pro boxers punch? Ok who's feelin lucky LMAO Aikido doesn't rely on grabbing anything to throw ppl around. It's all about timeing, body movement, some slight of hand and a god measure of deflection and redirection. And lets not forget Aikidoka can strike if they want to or need to. It's not all about the throws.

Damn I'm still in agreement with everybody.

13. surgingshark

surgingshark Valued Member

Like seeing a ray of sunlight through a patch of dark clouds, this thread is...

14. ziseez

ziseez Valued Member

i have talked about this already also, aikido is to stop a aggressive fight and end it in a non violent way. in aikido you learn to move your center out of the way, how can someone hit something which aint there. it all depends who has devoted more time to it, question of which art is better is dumb because i believe aikido is because it is a very spiritual,mental,and physical art. boxing is more like skill or natural, aggression is taught or pushed on anywhere where it comes natural. you all are saying it like "if i take aikido in a month i can whip the best boxer" it depends on how you train and the principles of the art. boxing is competition, aikido is a way of life which you dedicate ever moment too even walking. if you want too know more i would be happy to tell you.

15. fogwall

fogwall New Member

OK, tell me alot more.

16. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

ziseez have you ever boxed? Boxing requires as much skill and dedication as any other martial art. It also requires many of the same qualities as Aikido does. Timeing, body movement, control of agression and a greater awareness of what's going on.

I don't think anybody here said beating a boxer would be a walk in the park. It was very much the reverse actually. We all agreed that trying to catch a punch would be dumb.

Just one more thing. Could you please learn how to us paragraphs. Your posts are very difficult to read. Thanx :)

17. Intan86

Intan86 Valued Member

Do you really understand Aikido's principle? Why do you want to fight with the boxer?

I don't have Aikido training but I've learn about its principle. And Aikido is purely ONLY for self defence and not whoop peoples's ass. Just like what Aikimac wrote, aikido have similiarities in the other three styles and I agree with him. My style of silat have parries and similar footwork. The diff is only throws. My style don't have throws.

Do you know why it have similarities? Because my silat and others too are only for self defence. My silat best work and give the biggest impact/damage to the assailant when used for self defence purposes only. My uncle always said, never use the art against its principle or the art will become useless and you'll get hurt. Use it only when you have to.

Oh, and one more thing. Do you know why sometimes you hear people argue that this sytle that they learn are not good or doesn't work in streetfight? Because they are bad practitioners. They lose because they do not understand the art that they are learning. Don't be among them. Like my Uncle said, the art in a brawl is different than in the art of self defence. Do you understand what I'm trying to say?

18. Samurai_Spice

Samurai_Spice New Member

I practised against a boxer friend of mine and was able to throw him easily when I didn't wait for him to unload a flury of punches at me. For example, when he's throw a straight right or a right hook to answer my fake left I'd do 'Hari Goshi' down he'd go. Kote Geshi works a treat against many punches too. I was always forcing him to move first. "Sen no Sen" or forcing the attack is key. You have to know that when you fake "this" he'll do "that" & you can do "this"!. He punched me off my feet literally, 13 or 14 times before the first time I even made contact with his wrist, broke my nose, chipped a tooth - you need timing and rapid execution - before my stack I sparred heaps of people from different MA's and got beat and did a bit of beating. Kempo was the one MA that seems to have an answer for everything.

Try implimenting some Atemi into your Aikido and take the offensive and you'll see that Aikido works if your smart about it. You'll spend alot of time kicking and punching, but with the right shin kicks, sweeps, elbows and snap kicks you'll open any attacker to a throw.

There's Koshi Nage which works a treat too. Plus I don't remember the name of the move exactly but I learned it in class, a tech that has you push Uke's chin backwards & sweep his legs to lift him off the ground I've used that against an Aikidoka that throw a right at me they work too.

Boxers are aiming at somewhere on you. Move that point at the last second, but have a move worked out first. Irimi Nage works hands down. Muni Mochi "elbow lock" work too.

Sounds like some people need to pay more attention to what's being taught and less time complaining that it doesn't work. Go find someone that's willing to let you test yourself on them, make sure they know how to fall - take your mouthguard with you!!!

I've done Aikido for a while and Wing Chung for a time before that so I know from other training how to throw sharp quick punches & kicks.

Put yourself in danger and test yourself!

19. ziseez

ziseez Valued Member

ok im back people, if your going to compare styles you should compare there principles because where not exspecting a novice aikido practitioner to take on ol mike, because anything is possible. I am bout tired of explaining this so im going to leave you all with that much, let the best boxer go up against saito sensei or someone, lets see the outcome. maybe someone can email them and ask or something.

20. Budd

Budd Valued Member

But Ziseez,

In your last post you said if we wanted to know more, you'd be happy to tell us!

Now, you're "bout tired of explaining this"?

Also, are you theorizing or talking from experience?