Advice please

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by chipotle, Dec 12, 2003.

1. chipotle

chipotle New Member

Hi. As i said in the "TKD check in" i shall be starting TKD in Feb next year. I am trying to get myself fitter before my first class, i will be doing aerobic work daily (run/jump rope/bike) followed by the stretch routine from the magazine section on this site. Should i add anything to this to help prepare myself, any advice would be much appreciated.
    Thanks
    Pete G

2. JohnG

JohnG SNAFU

You should be ok doing that routine. You don't need to be super fit to start TKD, your fitness will develop as you train.

When you start MA, no-one expects you to be in tip top shape. Any flexibility training you do now will be of great benefit though.

Good luck

3. alcapone

alcapone New Member

You could try punching yourself in the face a few times, get someone to kick you on your sides and arms!!! Prepare you for what's to come!!!! ;o)

Well, maybe not, but one thing I wish I'd done is strengthened my arms, got them used to taking a hit. I do a lot of sparring and the first few months, I had bruises all over my arms from blocking kick after kick, there's prob nothing you can do to help prevent the bruising but if anyone has any recommendations, might be worth doing!! I didn't wear T-shirts for months!!! lol Luckily now they can take a big hit without bruising, or I just dodge the kicks, much easier!!!!

And yes, I am the king of useless posts!!!!

AL

4. Ara

Ara New Member

I agree with JohnG

You dont need to be super fit before your first class :) its best to just go along and do the extra fitness work between classes. Unless there is a reason why you cannot, i suggest going along to the class you were going to attend in february and just start training now. Coupled with the fitness work you are doing at the moment, training with a good instructor will see your fitness sky rocket from what it is at the moment. So dont hold back! :) Just go for it and im sure you wont look back

5. chipotle

chipotle New Member

Thanks for all the advice. I would love to start straight away but i have an op at the hospital at the start of Jan so i must wait till i have recovered. So i am stuck reading a few books i got hold of about TKD and my aerobic stuff. I think i will pass on punching myself in the face though alcapone, well at least till after a few lessons then i will know how to do it with the correct form:)

Thanks again
    Pete G

6. Bulldog

Bulldog New Member

Keep your excitement and try to set some goals for yourself in your training while you are waiting....Get a vision of yourself succeeding at everything you do and try...

If you can, just go and watch classes until you can start...get a feel for what you will be doing...meet the students...enourage them with your attendance!

Looking forward to hearing many success stories from you here at MAP

7. Taeho

Taeho New Member

Aerobic training is good. Anything for cardio, is best.

I'd definitely work on my flexability training most. It takes years to develop good flexability, so don't expect quick progress (unless you are one of those lucky "born flexable" persons, who make me sick BTW). Check the TKD publications for methods.

Good luck and welcome to TKD! (well, almost...heheh)

TKDshane Ÿ

8. Helm

Helm New Member

Yeah, nothing is expected of you at your first lesson.

Just pay attention and be keen to learn! Whatever you do dont be arrogant and you'll be fine! You're by no means the first "new guy" at your school, so dont worry!

Daily streching routines will help ALOT though, flexibility takes a long time to get, fitness will come through training as much as anything.

9. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Stretching and cardio training. The better shape you are in when you start, the easier it will be to focus on the techniques instead of just trying to stay upright. Good training!

10. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

I agree with all that has been suggested to you (aside from punching yourself :rolleyes: )...

Good luck on the op and what Bulldog suggested might help with familiarizing yourself with the students and instructor...

If you have any questions about the stretches in our mag section, feel free to get in touch with me Pete!