Advanced Master Forms

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by AirNick, Jan 7, 2006.

1. AirNick

AirNick Valued Member

The 'uncommon weapons' thread has reminded me of something:

I was looking in the programme from the Korea demo this year and noticed some empty hand forms that I have never heard of:

Un Bi Hyung (7th degree)
    Mae Hwah Choon Hyung (8th degree)
    Yong Bi Moo Hahk Hyung (9th degree)

Does anybody know anything about these? Maybe KSW_KJN? Does anybody know the English translation for the names?

Thanks

2. KSW_Martley

KSW_Martley Valued Member

Wow! I wish I could see these performed! Did you see these while you were there then? :Alien:

3. AirNick

AirNick Valued Member

Nope, never heard of them before

4. KSW_KJN

KSW_KJN Valued Member

AirNick,
    I've seen my master demonstrate Un Bi and Mae Hwah Choon many years ago. I have not seen Yong Bi Moo Hahk though, at least not that I remember. I am not sure the english translation for them. I'll see if I can get them though. These are very advanced and were usually only taught to the most senior masters. I have only seen these demonstrated by an 8th degree master, and only Kuk Sa Nym Suh's original students. I'd love to see them again. Guess I'll need the 2005 demo DVD. ;)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2006
  5. AirNick

AirNick Valued Member

Thanks very much KJN. Think I was a bit misleading in my original post. Nobody actually did these forms in Korea 2005. The programme had a KSW syllabus printed in it that had a few things I had never heard of before. As far as empty hand goes, I have never seen anything past Woon Hahk Hyung but would love to see more. I presume that the 'fast hands' form that KJN Sung Jin does isn't one of these forms and is something that he has devised himself?

6. coc716

coc716 Just Some Guy

I'd be curious to see that. Any chance that syllabus page(s) could be scanned and posted? Or transcribed?

Is that the "crane over cloud" form? What level is that learned at? 5th degree?

7. KSW_Martley

KSW_Martley Valued Member

Yeah the highest I've seen is the 'Crane on a Cloud' or whatever it called! I'm sure it's taught at 5th degree but I've only seen 6th dahn and higher perform it. :Alien:

8. ember

ember Valued Member

Wonder what might fall out if we shake this tree again...

9. karma

karma Valued Member

thats because oon bi hyung is the highest level form kuk sa nim has taught anyone outside of maybe the 5 old masters that he had in a special masters class

10. karma

karma Valued Member

sorry, meant he hasn't taught past oon hak hyung, not un bi hyung.

11. hwarang cl

hwarang cl The Evil Twin

I'm not sure of the name, but I remember seeing Master Barry and Choon ok doing a hyung that I've NEVER seen demostrated. It started out with the praticioner doing a strange "fist" or palm technique, the hand technique looked like a plam of some type, but the Ki finger was pionted, I looked away bc I think its rude to watch. No one likes ppl watching when they're trying to "train", Am I right?

12. coc716

coc716 Just Some Guy

If you're "in the zone", you won't notice anyone watching you. :)

I don't know if this will get off topic or not but... I don't mind either way (being looked at, or doing the looking; if the looking is done, or the eyes averted; all 4 combinations), and I think especially as someone of higher rank and/or instructor status that it comes with the territory (to be watched). I haven't known watching to ever be disrespectful, and most people are genuinely curious or want to watch what's being done because the person performing is good... the watcher wants to learn something. I've seen people watching me and when I stop they complement me or give me pointers or ask questions, so it seems all good to be watched. And I love to watch SBN Perry because well, he's good and I always learn something from watching him. Same holds for some others at my school that are just that darn good.

Again, I think it just comes with the territory, out of a desire for improvement (from what I see in myself, and what I see in others when watching is done). I won't disturb someone that's practicing, and I know sometimes eyes on you can be a distraction, but then... are you applying the hyung bup of "mind clear"? :D

As well, think of it like some preliminary tournament practice. You'll have a lot of eyes on you then. You start to learn to ignore the eyes on you and perform to your best regardless.

13. hwarang cl

hwarang cl The Evil Twin

You are correct on several pionts, but I think I forgot to mention this was a BB class, I was taking a quick break from doing baek pal ki hyung 20 times,and I saw them doing it. I think, I know that KJN's don't mind, but sometimes, especially the higher you go, you just want to pratice without any eyes on you. I don't know, maybe it's just me.

14. coc716

coc716 Just Some Guy

I think at any level, sometimes you just want to practice without any eyes on you. For that matter, sometimes it's not always good to watch because you don't know what the person you're watching is doing and as a result you might pick up something that you shouldn't.

Sounds like there's really no hard, fast rule here. Just a matter of where you are, who's around you (and not around you), and just what's going on... and this is either for the watch-er or the watch-ee.

15. MasterDunchok

MasterDunchok Valued Member

This thread reminded me of something too.

Do you guys have a double sword form set that involves one sword held reversed and one sword held straight? We have a few of those called "Chuk Gum"...

16. swntzu

swntzu has left MAP for a bit

I think it is part of the double sword form which has switches in it.

17. Choiyoungwoo

Choiyoungwoo Guest

Yes.

18. hwarang cl

hwarang cl The Evil Twin

Hmm.. thinking, I'm sure there is, but can't seem to remember seing it. I know I've seen double straight and double reversed, but don't remember seing both at once. I know CKJN BIL does a "sparring" or better put defense against two attackers, and he uses one straight and one reversed.

19. ember

ember Valued Member

One of the reasons I thought that learning to do Jung Gum Hyung and Euk Gum Hyung opposite-side would help with the double-sword form was an observation Coyote made in Korea. Parts of the double-sword form that KJN Harmon did looked to Coyote like KJN was doing jung gum hyung with his right hand/arm/sword while the left was doing euk gum hyung.

20. psbn matt

psbn matt great sage = of heaven

double short sword has 1 inverted and 1 right way up. as does the short sword part in the set sword sparring routine.