Adult Only Section

Discussion in 'Suggestions, Problems and Tests' started by NRees, Oct 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

I see your point to. But if we did - YOU wouldn't be allowed in :Angel:

2. wcrevdonner

wcrevdonner Valued Member

there are some topics that should be adult only material - for instance, lets say talking about knives and techniques.

You wouldn't want a 14 yr old with an inferiority complex suddenly picking up a knife and after getting picked up by the local authorities for commiting crime, quoting techniques that he has supposedly learnt from MAP? I haben't read the terms and conditions, so I could be wrong in this instance.

3. NRees

NRees Taekwon-Do II Degree

Not until April 05 :p But it's worth the wait hehe. I also second Wcverdonner's point, which hadn't occurred to me :eek:

4. hongkongfuey

hongkongfuey Kung Fu Geek

^^^^ what he said!

5. rtkd-badger

rtkd-badger Fundimentaly Manipulated

I go for the "Senior Section". Then we could all winge about our ache's and pains without being called old farts :D

6. Topher

Topher allo!

MAP isn't a place to learn martial arts, rather a place to talk about them.

1. What techniques are you refering to exactly?
    2. Why would someone commit a crime after viewing this site?
    3. Many if the 'knife' discussions here are rather sensible, providing a lot of valuable information for the members.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2004
  7. NRees

NRees Taekwon-Do II Degree

Ok, who said what? I'm confused now :p

8. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

He said "What she said". Then she said "What he said". Then he said "What he said". Then she said "You mean: what SHE said". Then somebody else said "^^^^ what he said!".

Hope that makes sense. :)

9. YODA

^^^^ What he said :Angel:

10. wcrevdonner

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you; however, sometimes there are discussions or sections of discussions that perhaps are left to adults simply because they are conversations that generally I think you wouldn't have with an adolescent.

An example is a thread in the general section regarding knives, started by ap_oweyn, which is all fine and good, I contributed to it myself. However, there was a bit, where discussion of technique came about, and grips and concealment ideas were stated; not in a 'to kill someone you do this' kind of way, just a discussion of technique. However, that sort of information in the 'wrong hands' could have bad consequences; even if they did know, everyine knows that in a world of litigation, anyone can accuse anybody for an excuse. From what I know, everyone on MAP is a good sort of people, but you never really know.

However, stating that, Im sure the mods/admins/owners know all this, and are sure of any problems that may occur. I only state it in defence of a adults only forum.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2004
  11. YODA

A few points on the above...

1. Just because someone gives their age as say 18+ on an internet forum doesn't mean they are.
    2. I know 16 year olds I would trust with the knife knowledge I have and 40 year olds that I wouldn't. Age and maturity don't always go hand in hand.

12. wcrevdonner

Agreed, however would you give everyone the knowledge you have without any sort of 'screening' process, (age in this case) first? And wouldn't no. 2 would be the exception rather than the rule?

13. YODA

Absolutely not - which is why I don't post certain information here - regardless of the age of the audience.

Alas - you would think so :rolleyes:

14. wcrevdonner

As I thought...so to my mind, an adult only section would apply to the exceptions rather than the general audience, hence not having the need, which makes sense.

As an added example though...there have been a couple of threads on 'iron palm' training in the Kung Fu section, and somewhere in there, people have advocated putting iron pellets in a wall bag after a certain length of time, which to me is complete madness. This might be just my opinion, but that is tantamount to encouraging crippling your hands. If you get some hapless youngster/older person who 'feels' he is ready to take part in a type of training when they aren't, then surely MAP has been a source of dangerous misinformation rather than excellent information that it usually is? I myself have taken advice from many posters here to the benefit of my training, I would just be concerned for those that don't have the relevant understanding to take bad advice...

15. Topher

Topher allo!

I absolutly agree - however, where does age come into this.

Can't adults feel they can take certain types of traning when they actually can't. It works both ways.

You'd be suprised how many young people have 'relevant understanding'.

16. KungFuGirl

KungFuGirl Valued Member

I think it would be awesome but it would be impossible to enforce so there is no point.

I know there are a few exceptions, but most of the people under the age of 20 on this site have really left me really unimpressed. Whether it be their dialogue, trolling, or poor grammar/spelling.

Of course there are exceptions like that girl I talked to who is only like 13 or 14 (I am so sorry forget the username) who seems more mature than most 18 year olds.

17. redcat1917

redcat1917 New Member

How about you have an intelligence test as entry requirement? (heh heh)

18. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

If we did that, how would we moderate it, most of us would fail the test :( :p :D

19. YODA

Oi! I resemble that remark :D

20. Greyghost

Greyghost Alllll rrigghty then!

would i qualify to post in the adult section.???

after all i did attend Yoda's recent seminar wearing a darth vader helmet and brandishing a lightsabre

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.