Adidas "The Club" Gi

Discussion in 'Judo' started by jabcrosshook, Apr 8, 2006.

1. Hey

I'm considering buying the "Adidas - the club" Gi, and just wondered if anyone else had any experience with it. How strong/durable is it? I know it isn't going to be a heavyweight, judging by the price, but am I paying for the adidas label or the Gi itself?

Thanks.

2. Sheyja

Sheyja Valued Member

I've never bought one, but to make an educated guess I'd say you're paying for the label, not the quality.

3. Atharel

Atharel Errant

I've heard that it's decent, but that the sewing isn't that great. Something about the label coming up and being abrasive in ne-waza.

4. Sam

Sam Absent-ish member

One of our dan grades wears an addidas judo gi and quite a few of the guys wear their shoe makes.
    I couldn't swear by it but it works well enough for him he always looks comfy sorry i couldn't be of more help.
    To an observer it does look like good quality comfiness though!.

5. Abrasive to them or me? :p

Thanks for the responses guys!

6. JayKayD

JayKayD Meet my friend PAIN!

There was one adidas gi i heard a lot of complaints about; about the logo thing coming off really easily. I'll try and find the review for it, it wasn't that long ago that i read it.

EDIT; These reviews are from fightgear.net

Via e-mail:I ordered a white Adidas gi around four weeks ago. The gi itself is great. It is made of high quality materials and comfortable. It looks great as well. The only drawback is that the large "ADIDAS" logo on the jacket and the pants are iron-on transfers, each letter being separate. While I have had no problem with the pant transfer, the one on the jacket began coming off the very first time I wore it. I was able to peel off the two "A's," and the "S" but the rest would not come off. I wrote the distributor (Seka-Sports) ,who initially got it to me in a timely fashion (about 1 week), and they said that they would send me an ADIDAS patch to cover the area (it has not yet arrived). I also suggested that they use patches instead of iron-on transfers. They said that they would take my suggestion under consideration.

Via e-mail: They never sent the patch they promised. Then the iron on "ADIDAS" came off of the pants. They ignored my follow up e-mails. Top shrunk substantially, despite washing it in cold water and hanging to dry. Bottom line: Too much money for the problems and lack of support.

Via e-mail:I was really disappointed in the gi myself. While it is a very comfortable gi, it is very expensive and is not the best quality gi for the money. I had the same gripes as the other person who wrote in about the gi. I washed my gi in cold and it shrank so much that I had to sell the gi to a friend of mine who is smaller than me. I also couldn't believe that they would put iron-ons onto a grappling gi. Hello what are these people thinking. I have had a lot of trouble with gis that the Machado's make and endorse.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2006
  7. Aaron Fields

Aaron Fields Valued Member

I used one for several years and a number of folks I practice with use them currently. They are good dogi, yes the striping is prone to seperate, but then who cares, less beauty more sweat. (In addition, it is purely cosmetic.) The folks that use them like them quite a lot. I found adidas dogi to not be the best for my build.

My advice, is find a maker that makes a cut that really fits you well and stick with it.

Aaron Fields
    Seattle Jujutsu Club, Hatake Dojo
    Sea-Town Sombo
    www.seattle-jujutsu.org

8. smiff

smiff Valued Member

My whole club uses Adidas gi's, and i believe none of them have had problems with them if any, i dont no about the adidas stripes thingy coming off i've never had that problem and i've had my gi for two years now and i believe no one else at our club is having that problem but i will ask around and see.

9. JudoGuy

JudoGuy Valued Member

It's funny that you asked this question, and the types of responses are almost too coincedental, because though I have been set up to sell Adidas uniforms for two years, I was never in any hurry to do so.

I wasn't at all sure why until someones (maybe JayKayD's) post mentioned the shrinkage. I used to have one of the very expensive (well over $200) and very rare (had to order it from France) Adidas reversible uniforms, and I had to stop wearing it because it got too small. Now I know what you are thinking, but NO back then I was still competing and I had to make weight, so the idea that I was getting fat wasn't really on the table at the time.

I think everything was stiched on that Gi, so I don't remember any of the patches or whatever coming off, but boy did that thing continue to shrink.

I'm still going to sell them I guess, though I probably won't do it on my primary site. And I will also lots of helpful comments based on this dicussion.

If you are looking for a good entry level gi with out all of the drama consider the Fuji Single weave uniform. The price is about the same as the Adidas Club gi, and I don't think I have ever heard a bad thing about them.

Good Luck, and I hope to see you on the mat.

Sincerely,

Russ (The Judo Guy)
    The JudoGi Store
    www.judogis.com

10. Garibaldi

Garibaldi Valued Member

That was about the Machado gi, not the Club.

We've got several guys wear the Club gi and its actually a fairly decent gi for the price. Reasonably comfortable for everyday use.

As to the Machado, I own one myself and have used it more or less every week for about 3 years now. No problem whatsoever with the logo coming off (and its washed in a machine on a standard cycle) and its very comfortable

It did shrink A LOT though, although as with all gis, buy a size bigger than you need. The best way I find with the adidas ones are to pull them to shape immediately after washing - every time! And I find once you've warmed up and sweated in it, it seems to expand slightly and fit even better

11. tsukikage

tsukikage New Member

Last edited: May 29, 2006