Additions to Muay Thai

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by Bolt, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Bolt

Bolt New Member

Oh, hell, anyone can fight dirty. What Im trying to clarify, is that UFC is not a reality scenario. Ive heard that there God's of average people, and there the Greatest fighters, in the ring...possibly. The street is the equalizer, no matter the amount of training, or cage experience you have, you can still be defeated by, superior numbers, superior weapons....etc. I think Spikeg, put it well. Just b/c a "champion" brawls in the ring, doesnt mean he will be successful on the streets. There is the difference of sport and reality.

I origanally stated, I dont see the point in them. Its like breaking bricks, or wood....whats the point, (IMO, dont want to upset, brick-breaking lovers), Neither will prepare you to survive a street confrontation.

2. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

MMA is a sport. people watch it and participate because its a sport they enjoy. but, I believe that like many sports that involve a high level of physical activity- boxing, kickboxing, wrestling etc- the skills you learn can translate to self defense as well. you cannot possibly tell me that knowing how to punch, how to control your adrenalin, and how to grapple is not useful in "teh stweet"

3. Thrice

Thrice New Member

I agree with you. But if people want a reality MMA torney then at the beginning of each round one fighter should stand with his back to his opponent cos you will prob have your back to your attacker in a pub/bar street or whatever. Also your opponent should be well high on drink and drugs and rage. In my opinion there is no training or sport fighting that can help you 100% in this. BUT it will give you a better chance no?

4. Getalifebud

Getalifebud Valued Member

A good MMA fighter will definetely have an advantage on the street, and also I do not get why people think that just because someone studies MA means that if they get attacked, they will stand around, strip to a leotard or put on a Gi and tie up a belt and then avoid hurting the attacker. Most people will understand that they have to win, and just because MA gives you no extra barrier to getting shot, does not mean you are better off without it. If somebodey shoots you, its the end, for a MMA fighter, a TMA fighter or a normal person, they all takee the bullet the same way, but why is this a reason not to take part in MA's?

I do not get why so many people think of some imaginary street where effective weapons are scattered on the floor. And yes, just about anything can be used as a weapon, but in a serious fight a butterfinger wrapper is not going to help you. As I said, how will not training in MA make you grab a lead pipe?

5. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

If you guys want to train with 100% street effectivness, then quit martial arts and go fight on the street.

Martial arts cant be 100% realistic because people would get seriously injured or killed every day. If you train in ma then you have a headstart on anyone trying to mug you.

Grow up.