Ad-aware freezes

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Peacemaker, Oct 9, 2005.

1. Peacemaker

Peacemaker New Member

Hi All,

I need help with a little problem. Everytime I tried to run Ad-aware on my computer, it freezes at a certain file in registry. I have the latest update and everything, and I tried it in Safe Mode as well, but it still stops during the scan. And it always freezes at the same file. Do you guys have any clues or tips?

Peace

2. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

If it's a reg key/entry you want deleted, can you delete it manually yourself?

If you're not able to delete it yourself, you may need to change the permissions on the reg key/entry first.

Just a couple of ideas.

3. Greg-VT

Greg-VT Peasant

Try running Ad-Aware in Safemode. You can get into safemode by pressing the 'F8' key upon Windows startup. You will be presented with a menu, from which you can select 'Safemode'.

This will disable any spyware/adware from interfering with the scan. Once Windows has loaded, proceed with doing a full system scan with Ad-Aware. :D

4. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Greg you gave me the same tip when this happened to me.

As Peacemaker posted.... he did try it in Safe Mode.

It also did not work for me in Safe mode either.

My computer then crashed about a month later.... not that yours will :D :Angel:

5. Greg-VT

Greg-VT Peasant

Ah hah... maybe I'd better not skip through the importent stuff next time ay? ;)

How is yours going now KC? I'll have to think on this a little further.... gimmie 10 minutes!

6. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

like I said Greg..... my hard drive went

I got a nice new shiny one now :)

And I advise to NOT use IE for the simple fact that it's a spyware magnet ....

7. Greg-VT

Greg-VT Peasant

Yes yes, I saw that! I don't skip through everything! ;) I mean now, after your's crashed! :p

Anyway, shiny is always better :D

Yes, I double that.

Try another spyware removal tool. I find that where one fails, another succeeds. "Ad-Aware" and "Spybot: Search and Destroy" tends to work very well in conjunction with each other.

Spybot is another removal tool available to be downloaded for free. A search on google should reveal it. Make sure you get the lastest updates for it, as you did with Ad-Aware.

8. Peacemaker

Peacemaker New Member

Thank you guys for all your feedback. I will install spybot on my comp, and get rid of IE. Cheers.

Peace

9. Wali

Wali Valued Member

Spybot is a good recommendation.

You may be dealing with a Virus rather than spyware, so I suggest you download AVG Anti-Virus from

http://www.grisoft.com/doc/Programs/lng/us/tpl/tpl01

Do this even if you have your own anti-virus. This product got me out of a lot of trouble.

For added Spyware protection, also try Microsoft Anti-Spyware from http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx

And of course, do a FULL windows update, as without the relevant patches, the products above will only clean any existing issues, not prevent them in future.

Cheers,
    Wali

10. Another Muay Thai Guy

Another Muay Thai Guy Valued member

11. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

LOL! Nice of them to finally try to fix* a problem they created in the first place!

*Patch up with band-aid.