Accelerated MA Programs

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by raeba, Dec 9, 2004.

1. raeba

raeba New Member

Hi,

I am wondering if you are aware of any diciplines that may be inclined to have accelerated programs. That is, MA training that allows one to attend more times (days and hours) per week, to accelerate the program curriculum for earlier advancement (based upon expressed skill).

To advance, many programs are based upon how many hours (and the demonstratedd skill) one has. Since mosts schools are businesses, they tend to keep their instructors down to a minimum, and they tend to spread out the time it takes for advancement...

For example, let's say it take 46 hours to move from white to yellow (proficiency considered). This may take 6 months at some schools, though it can actually be done in a week or two (if the school has all day training -- e.g. 8AM-5PM...). [Note: This is just an example, to illustrate the point of accelerated training - not a belt advancement model.]

Do you know of any disciplines/programs that have accelerated or more compacted training (perhaps in the Vancouver, WA area)?

Thanks.

Raeba

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

What's the big hurry? The journey is far more important than the destination - take time to enjoy it.

3. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

True words of wisdom.

4. raeba

raeba New Member

You, know... No matter what care you put into a post to get an on-topic (or helpful) reply, there is always...

Anyway, yes, yes, I know all the proverbs and such. Just looking for an educated and helpful response to the actual question posed.

Based upon many of the posts that I read here, there are so people endowed with enough wisdow to elicit a congruent response.

Thank you.

Raeba

5. YODA

That's what you got mate. It was a an educted response and I feel I AM being helpful. Just because it wasn't the answer you wanted to hear doesn't negate it.

Spending 2 weeks cramming in knowledge that would normally take 6 months won't give you the same results - it will just give you the ability to maybe imitate those results and will put a fat wodge of cash into some instructor's pocket.

So - fancy actually entering into discussion and answering my question? What's the hurry?

PFS based JKD Concepts (Paul Vunak JKD Lineage) seems to be very much "inclined to have accelerated programs"

http://www.ocjkd.com/pfsinstructors.htm

6. raeba

raeba New Member

Time is relative. It is an art to be able to excel under time constraints. We have been taught too much to baby ourselves and get spoon fed over great periods of time. This is primarily due to commercial needs of MA businesses. If you look at the overwhelming majority or MA students, they attend instruction on average of 2 times per week over many years - and ***MOST*** are HIGHLY inefficient in the art.

Now, I do know that many of you readers are more serious MA students and make a lifestyle out of it. I am addressing the majority though.

I, for one, can get more out of 3 hours consecutively during a given day, than if I were to get them over a weeks time. It all comes down to how devoted and passionate the student is to what is being taught.

There is nothing wrong with practicing MA as a lifelong journey. However, if you wish to learn half a dozen diciplines, life may not permit...

I'm not looking for conflict here, just helpful answers without non-expedient presuppositions. As with many topics in online forums, subjects can go on forever - back and forth. Just stop, take a breath, and learn the meaning of the post. It's ok! Yes, there is a point here that doesn't necessitate much intelligence. Simply a humble willingness to forgo the need to be didatic...

Thanks for your time. "Next."

Raeba
    International Woman of Mystery

Last edited: Dec 9, 2004
  7. YODA

LOL!

Indeed. I shall trouble you no more - I know nothing anyway :rolleyes:

I shall depart forthwith to find my hair shirt.

8. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

No.

The real issue is not "getting through the curriculum", but rather spending the time mastering the concepots and the techniques. Recently looking at the technqiues required for promotion from 2nd to 3rd dan in Hapkido I noticed that there really isn't that much in the curriculum... but that to master those technqiues and the underlying concepts (and to apply them and incorporate them into my aresenal) will take a great deal of time. Accelerated training hopefully will not be just more technqiues,, but more time to practice them within the context of the art.

Without trying to be mean, you may want to take a look at the harshnest of your own responses. If you are truly looking for advice from the posters here, which are represented by a great many people of various backgrounds, arts and philosophies, you will need to accept and evaluate all of the responses, whether they fit your expectations or not.

The downside to responding in an angry and sarcastic manner is that it will not encourage people to help, but rather, encourage them to either (a) ignore you or (b) flame you.

Along those lines, I apologize if my previous message offended you and I hope we can discuss topics in a softer wway in the future.
    Moo Sool

9. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

You, know I think I might like to see what this Raeba cat has in store.

I think I understand Yoda's point and I think I understand where Raeba is coming from. Still, I don't think accelerated programs do a whole lot of good. I think one needs a lot of time to really learn, understand and be proficient in a Martial art. If you want to learn multiple arts, maybe you should take 4 or 5 of them at once for five years or something like that.
    I mean, you don't see people cramming college/med/law school into 2 or 3 years because it's just not very profitable to do it that way.
    But hey, if you want an accelerated program I guess all you need to do is go up to an instructor and ask him if he would be willing to train you in such a manner. Then you can negotiate fees and what not, chances are he'll charge a whole lot more dough than you need to pay to learn MA.

10. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Answer to original question: Look for a live-in program for the martial art that interests you. In aikido they're called "uechi-deshi" programs. (People tell me that's Japanese for "live-in student.") Several are available in the USA and Japan, both. I've never looked for any such programs for other martial arts.

11. Scarlet Mist

I also hear great things about Muay Thai camps in Thailand and visits to the Bejing Police Academy.

12. JKD_forever

JKD_forever DEADLIFT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, i heard those Muay Thai camps make you wish you were never born....
    which is exactly why i plan to go someday.
    Maybe some1 wants to join me?? :D :D

13. Darkstorm

Darkstorm Valued Member

I must say that she has a distinctive style of writing......quite profound in its use of vocabulary.......:)

Anyway, I can see her point of view and guess the reasons why she would want an accelerated program.....

14. raeba

raeba New Member

As previously mentioned and perhaps painstakenly, I expressly mentioned: "demontrated skill," "expressed skill," and "proficiency considered."

My question requires an understanding of what accelerated learning is (go Google). Though in this particular situation, both (accelerated and the popular marketed variety that hands out the false sense of security in droves) require the same amount of training hours (period).

People are free to respond to my message the way they see fit, but I reserve the right to do the same to theirs. If you can't take the heat - don't bother getting near it.

How sweet. Yes, if you don't respond a certain way...then maybe others (me) won't have to be so strict :p .

My initial post was EXTREMELY clear.

Raeba

P.S. Enough with the pety stuff - dry the tears people and just deal with the simply request. If you don't want to, or cannnot, then just ignore it. I don't have time to counsel people... ;)

15. raeba

raeba New Member

Hey, you're pretty perceptive and smart. You know something is going on here...

By the way, I do have sharp, lady-like claws ;)

Again, the same amount of time is there. Spreading things out is simply to accomodate the school/instructor - not the student. That reasoning is just part and parcel of the commercial enterprise that it has become. Excellence is excellence. It is all up to the passion and abilities of the student. I don't expect people that lack this quality to understand this (no sucker punch intended).

Very good advice. Money talks with a lot of them too. Thank you for your contribution to my question. May I quote your screen name and suggestion in an upcoming work?

Raeba

16. raeba

raeba New Member

Thank you very much for your kind suggestions.

Raeba

17. GeeniusAtWurk

GeeniusAtWurk Valued Member

you know responses like yours may seem justified in your opinion, but it still pays to be respectful, which you're not. You've only got 4 posts, and I'm sure you could be more polite neh? Keep up like you are and you may end up in the sin bin, or not, cuz i'm not a mod.

On topic, its school specific, other than the camps and live in programs mentioned already. My school can offer one more private lesson a week or side classes for more money. We already get 1 private a week, and the acceleration doesn't hurt.

But I'm with almost everyone else in disagreeing that the same amount of time stretched over different periods will get you the same result. Case in point, I did a seminar with my school and learned our single ended staff form in 4 hours, when it normally takes 4 weeks (if not more). I was so overloaded that now I could hardly remember what I learned, and have to spend a few minutes every private lesson to reinforce what I picked up, lest I lose it forever.

But anyways, know a little politeness goes a long way, especially on an online board like this.

18. raeba

raeba New Member

I've spent decades confronting fear head on (as most of us strive to do), but you really got me shaking now. No, please no... [PS: Login names and IPs are easy to come by.]

Like you said - previously mentioned. Again, sigh, if you have a good instructor and you are passionate and proficient, time is time.

Sorry to hear that you had a problem with your training situation. Needless to say, but perhaps not based upon the redundancies herein, each person's experience varies...

Raeba

19. Scarlet Mist

Hmmm. I'd say I have passion, and I devote as much time as I can to learning MA. I however can't train all the time because I have to eat. Yes, excellence is excellence (in a particular field), but how much are you willing to sacrifice for it in the way of time and money? Also, like I said before, cramming is just not the best way of learning.
    I'd suggest going to a live in camp like a Muay Thai Camp in Thailand or training at the Shaolin Temple or Police academy in China for a summer, those seem to do people a lot of good.

20. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Hey now, I say you're now the one crossing the line, and I am the Mod for this forum.

No more picking on anybody. On-point answers only please.