absurd requirements from masters

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by MMAWARRIOR20, Oct 3, 2006.

1. MadMonk108

MadMonk108 JKD/Kali Instructor

If you're going to be a member of his school, then you should do your best to achieve the goals he sets for you. Don't half ass it, and don't make excuses.

You're setting yourself up for failure.

Instead of looking at this as a challenge (even one you're not sure you can pass), you're already telling yourself you can't do it. You're making your teacher out to be crazy, when you aren't even willing to try to achieve the goals he's setting for you.

If you can't handle the standards he's setting, then leave.

If you're going to train in his school, then do the best you can.

Disagree with his standards? Leave.

Don't waste his time and yours.

To continue to study at his school, but to say "I don't care what he wants me to learn, I'll just go get my black belt elsewhere later" is dishonest.

So go ahead and quit.

2. MMAWARRIOR20

MMAWARRIOR20 Valued Member

So much anger. After all that you still think I'm a slacker. Is it possible to convince you otherwise?

3. Guizzy

Guizzy with Arnaud and Eustache

Yes, you could at least try your hardest to live up to your master's standards both at school and in your MA training.

Try your hardest; too bad if you fail, but I bet your master would much more impressed by your trying hard than by your whining and quitting.

4. MMAWARRIOR20

FYI I am trying my hardest. Didn't expect this thread to be full of how I should live my life comments(no offense)

5. MMAWARRIOR20

Did you see the second part of my first comment. I asked if anyone has ever been given a difficult or irrelevant task by their master/instructors?

6. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I'm sorry that you aren't getting what you expected. But if you got precisely what you expected, there wouldn't be much point in a discussion, would there. You could simply tell yourself what you wanted to hear.

And people are questioning whether what your teacher is requesting is irrelevant. But ultimately, it doesn't much matter what we think. When 30 people tell you that your teacher has a point and two people tell you he doesn't, and you decide that the two people are being reasonable and the rest of us aren't, then I don't think there's a whole lot more that can be said.

Stuart

7. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

Can anyone translate what a 3.8 gpa average actually means into English for me? A, B C?

Isn't 3.2 about equivalantm to a C?

I have an image in my head of the OP's instructor being some sort of Coach Carter style guy at the moment, as such I would be inclined to side with the instructor. Plus if you don't he may slice you to pieces with a lightsaber.

I think that some of the guys here may be being a little harsh intheir assesment though, once you hit 85 senility and memory loss can become a real problem so maybe the OP genuinely can't achieve the average?

Birthday:
    April 15, 1906

8. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

"A"

9. MaverickZ

MaverickZ Guest

10. MMAWARRIOR20

I appreciate the feed back. But you're seem to be making it sound like I'm a trouble junky on a talk show. If not getting a exellence grade is what you considered a failure then I have nothing left to say.

11. MMAWARRIOR20

This thread is gone on a lot longer than I expected but it's going nowhere.

12. White Belt TKD

White Belt TKD New Member

That’s because more than half of it is a bunch of idiots bitching about blinding following your masters requirements no matter how retarded and how dare you even try to voice your opinion about the subject! lol

Yea I don't think your going to like it here if you have to deal with these people.
    If you were looking for help then you won't find it. Try another martial arts forum were people aren't so ignorant on what is difficulty for you to do or even see things from your point of view.

13. Guizzy

Guizzy with Arnaud and Eustache

No one's calling you a failure, but if I was a martial arts teacher and I knew one of my pupils was prone giving up so easily, I wouldn't bother to teach him anymore.

Personally, I don't think a MA teacher should care about his students academic grades. But his school, his rules. And your attitude in response to that requirement of his makes you sound like a weak-willed person.

You can try your best to achieve the standards he demands. I'm pretty certain, providing he's really a good teacher, if he happens to understand that you are trying your hardest, he wouldn't care so much if you don't make it to that level. Or you could keep on claiming that this is impossible to attain, without even trying to.

Again, NO ONE IS CALLING YOU A FAILURE but yourself, by admitting defeat this easily.

If you don't like it here, you know where the door is. It happens that thankfully, the great majority of regulars on MAP are very helpful and intelligent people, and so far they pretty much agree on this particular issue.

14. MadMonk108

More like mild irritation.

No, I think you're setting yourself up to be a quitter.

Yeah.

Try and get a 3.8.

At least try.

Or is that too much to ask?

Is it just to hard to try?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2006
  15. MadMonk108

Good. Try your hardest and let your instructor see that in your efforts, instead of whining about how unreasonable he is.

16. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

Hmm, is this like a conitnuous assessment thing or is it based on exams or what sort of thing? I have never managed to get an average of an A in anything except when I was at University and managed to get a distinction in my degree and masters which is equivalant to an A.

Maybe it's different in the U.S. though? I mean if his master was bringing this rule into affect at my old school I think there would only have been 10 or so students eligible to do the masters course out of 200 or so! (We get a listing of the students in the school from best to worst, I was 13th and still duidn't quite average an A :D )

17. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

Im wondering where this leaves them regards a discrimination case ..... there seems no appropriate reason why there should be an academic pre-standard, and what about disabled people with learning difficulties?

Sounds like a can of worms to me.

18. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Read again Slick. "Talk to your teacher about his requirements." That's blindly following?

You don't think I see things from his point of view? I barely graduated high school. Because the moment something got difficult for me, I stopped trying. Straight As in English and failing grades in everything else.

It wasn't worth it. With some effort, I could've actually spared myself a whole pile of grief. And I would spare anyone else that pile as well, given the opportunity.

All this stuff seems like a needless hassle when you're young. But believe me, in the long run, you're going to wish you'd pushed yourself just a little harder way back when. Or at least tried to make this teacher understand where you're coming from. I think that's what's more bothersome to me than the idea that the OP CAN'T get a 3.8. That I can accept. But it's the idea that the ONLY ALTERNATIVE is now to quit this class rather than discussing his situation with the teacher.

It's like you said in your post. Nobody sees your point of view. How should they if you can't even be bothered to explain it to them? If you quit instead of talking it out, you have no room to complain that nobody gets where you're coming from. You aren't giving them that chance.

Stuart

19. shuyun3

shuyun3 Shugyosha

Since you're aiming for black belt...

Traditionaly each dan of black is harder to get than the former. The first dan black is a Jr. master but supposedly getting from 1 to 2 is harder than getting from white to black if I'm not mistaken.

And from 5 and up you are supposed to be contributing something literate and substantial to the improvement of your particular style. At these levels butt-kicking ability is no longer the issue.

Maybe your master doesn't want things easy and frankly that's his prerogative. If you wanna earn your belt someone else that's fine I guess but you might end up with doubts about yourself if you were ever good enough for him.

Hey like a car is a car. It starts, it runs it stops it gets you there. But while a Honda is good enough, don't tell me a guy in a Mercedes S-class won't make you drool.

I once had a college teacher that said that if he gives a student a 4.0 it means that that student has repeated all the BS he had to say for the semester and was seriously kissing some glutes. And so while it may be good for your transcript and self esteem he honestly believes that you're a yes man with no mind of his own, I got around a 3.7 for being brave enough to tell him to his face that I'm not buying most of what he's selling.

Patience is a virtue and the weird thing about it is that you develop patience by doing it.

20. TigerDude

TigerDude Valued Member

I'm going to weigh back in.

1. A 3.8 GPA is 4 A's and 1 B on average. A single C will require 9 straight A's to average it out to 3.8. I am here to tell you that unless you go to a school that gives out A's to everyone, it is not in everyone's reach to do this.

2. College athletes have to keep a 2.5 GPA I believe. There might be a few schools that require a 3.0. The number of college athletes that have a 3.8 is very, very low. The number of college students who have a 3.8 is very, very low.

3. All you people who said it's a reasonable requirement - how many of you had a GPA this high?