absurd requirements from masters

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by MMAWARRIOR20, Oct 3, 2006.

1. MMAWARRIOR20

MMAWARRIOR20 Valued Member

My master really stresses academic exellence. He requires for you to have a 3.8 GPA or above to recieve a black belt :confused: Not everone in the worlds a genius :bang: Anyways I was just wondering if anyone has any difficult or irrelevant taskthat their master ask of them. Please share.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2006
  2. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Do you really think you need to be a genius to get a 3.8? I'm not sure I'm crazy about him requiring a particular score. But I think you're really selling yourself short if you're telling yourself that you're not genius enough to get that high a GPA.

Hell, I barely graduated high school. But it was because I didn't apply myself at all. I could have gotten a 3.8 with a little work. I expect most people could.

Stuart

3. Beltless

Beltless Banned Banned

Mwahahaha! :D - You may want to word that better before a little TOS is violated...... "so, tell me where he touched you Billy"... dear me.

4. someotherguy

someotherguy Valued Member

that's absolutely ridiculous. is he teaching within a school or is he independent of any academic institution that you are at?

5. hux

hux ya, whatever.

A bit on the strict side, sure, but not ridiculous. LOTS of sports activities are tied to GPA, especially as you start to get a bit older - high school/college.

6. TheDarkJester

TheDarkJester 90% Sarcasm, 10% Mostly Good Advice.

Perhaps your instructor is looking for someone bright enough that he can pass on his artform to someone. Perhaps you don't make his cut... Make your instructor thinks you're a dumb dumb and a can of condensed soup is more intelligent than you are. Maybe everyone here thinks your 3rd post is a hodge podge of ****ing and moaning about simple things. Maybe I'm just taking a jab at you to make up for my own shortcomings.. Maybe I don't have no esteem so I like to pick on everyone else..

Maybe when little.. I was hungry, bottom of the barrel and sick...

maybe I'm lying? ;) but the point is you shouldn't take what other people say so seriously.

7. MaverickZ

MaverickZ Guest

you're clearly a failure in life. might as well give it all up now and join a monastery because it's best that you don't breed. and i don't mean the shaolin one.

8. MMAWARRIOR20

just becuase I can't get a 3.8 doesn't mean i'm a failure. how many have gotten it anyways? btw i am interested in the shaolin monastery.

9. MMAWARRIOR20

he has a doctor's degree in acupunture and he's always giving speeches about how working hard in school and being a good person should come before martial arts and sports.btw he runs a tutoring program.

10. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Not 'he is' a doctor's degree.... your sentence should read 'He has a doctor's degree in acupuncture'.

;)

Nothing wrong with that.
    If you don't like the rules you can go somewhere else to train. Many sports programs require their students to maintain a certain GPA. From what I understand this is a private class not related to your schooling... but regardless - he's the instructor/sensei so he makes the rules. You have the right to abide by them or leave.

I think you'd benefit from them. But the choice is yours.
    How old are you anyhow? I'm guessing you're in your ealy highschool years.

11. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

Slip,

How did I know you'd correct his grammer :D

Oh, and MMAW20...3.8 GPA is far from being a genius, but you are also correct in saying that just because you cannot obtain a 3.8 GPA doesn't mean you're a failure. However, you can also feel reassured that if you apply yourself in school as you do in your dojo just how much you will achieve academically ;)

12. slipthejab

The irony is the corrections come from someone who never graduated highshcool or attended past the 10th grade or even came remotely close to having a 3.8 GPA. :D :eek:

So I can seriously say... maintaining a 3.8 GPA will save you from a lot of the BS in life. ;) It will help you in that you can avoid so many idiots that you will be forced to deal with if you chose to go the route I did.

13. MadMonk108

MadMonk108 JKD/Kali Instructor

HEY!

I RESENT THAT!!!

14. MaverickZ

MaverickZ Guest

a bit too close to home?

15. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Uhm, been there done that, and it didn't take that much effort. High school, college, and grad school, thanks.

And he is correct. If you participate in any organized athletic activity in high school or college, you have to maintain a certain GPA. Obviously since he runs a tutoring program, academic achievement is very important to him.

One of my buddies just got his BB in TSD, and had to sit through an hour-long written exam before moving on to the physical part. He was a lousy student in high school, and he was stressing. Depending on what you have to do to get a BB, you will want to crunch the books and develop good study habits now.

Hell, the discipline which comes from good study habits is applicable in many aspects of life!

16. someotherguy

he would have no choice in the matter. someone with talent will pick it up irrespective of the instructors rigid concept of students needing certain academic results etc. the idea that you need to achieve in an academic setting to be intelligent or to be more talented than others when it comes to learning a skill is absurd.

17. MMAWARRIOR20

do not correct my grammar. all that matters is you know what i'm talking about.

18. slipthejab

Stop your whining. I'll correct your grammar if I please and there is jack squat you can do about it... besides write and spell properly and then you wouldn't find yourself in that position in the first place.

Writing basic sentences with proper grammar is a good place to start if you want people to take you seriously. :p

I understand very clearly what you are talking about.
    I've given you my opinion. You're free to take it or leave it. There wasn't any charge. ;)

19. TheDarkJester

TheDarkJester 90% Sarcasm, 10% Mostly Good Advice.

I had thought my post would have broken the sarcasm-meter... But thanks anyways.. for.. something.. *shrug*

20. someotherguy

obviously I know you were being sarcastic, but it also seems that the instructor is harbouring this kind of attitude and that this forum would hardly laugh at the suggestion