About hook

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by Apache, Sep 21, 2003.

1. Apache

Apache New Member

I've been throwing hooks for years left and right like most of us do, with palm facing down. But lately I've seen more people throwing their hooks facing the palm (people who usually know their sh*t). This supposedly gives better support to the wrist and is more natural position for the hand. And it really does seem that way.
    Anyone tried it? Opinions?

Cheers!

Apache

2. Cain

Cain New Member

I think it depends on what you feel more "natural"

Some think a horizontal fist give them better power so they use it, the vertical fist people find it has more speed to it and more natural, I personally use a crossed/slanted fist since day 1 'cause I find it kinda unnatural to keep a straight vertical or horizontal fist when throwing a hook....

Of course my viewpoint is from zero MT experience where I expect Khun Khao, Yoda or Dred to correct me ;)

|Cain|

3. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Banned Banned

Amateur boxing tends to favour palm down, pro's the palm to the face. Both have pro's and con's. Palm towards engages the bicep more into the punch so can give an extra element to the punch. It does make it slightly more likely that the palm will hit and not the knuckles, which would mean a non scoring shot in am boxing.

I personally prefer a slight angle on the position of the fist, this seems to aid my shoulder positioning in the punch allowing me to cover my chin throughout the movement. Leaning more to the palm toward position though. Also this positions allows you to draw the punch more in an arc helpin fist aceleration and also allows you to pull it back slightly on to the chin.

As in most things its personal preference, i feel he palm toward fits my punching mechanics and body type.

4. gutshot

gutshot New Member

My trainer freaks out on me any time i do it palm down, he says its not a real hook...

5. Bigfoot

Bigfoot Smile, laugh, be happy!

It really depends upon your position in relation to your opponent. Generally, we teach that when you are really close and you are punching low, that you may either use palm toward you or palm down. The higher you punch the more the hand has to rotate. At or above your own head hight we have all of our students preform the punch with their palm toward their opponent, unless they are trying to move the opponentĀ“s hands, in which case they may also punch with their palm toward themselves. It is all ergonomics. If you do it incorrectly, you will hurt your wrist and or knuckles.

6. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

Both are good and work

If its to the face I naturally do palm facing and in the clinch I do palm down.

Yet on the ground I do both?????

Guess its down to what comes natural - both work for me!:D

7. nicolo

nicolo Valued Member

Well supposedly if you do it palm down, you might risk breaking your pinky finger. Of course, if you're all gloved up, it won't matter much anyway. I say do it palm-facing you for many reasons: you're hitting hard with your knuckles, you're firing your punching out in a natural hooking motion and your retraction is a lot harder and quicker.