"ABC System": A Quick and Effective Self Defense System?

Discussion in 'Women's Self Defence' started by Moldavite_E, May 6, 2006.

1. neb

neb Banned Banned

.... Dunno, don't care. ABC can go suck my balls!

Everybody knows that this is the real deal, fo real!

http://www.freewebs.com/tehd34dlystr33t/

Last edited: May 8, 2006
  2. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Moldavite E,

Sometimes people can be too blunt. But listen to them anyway. They really are trying to spare you an experience that nobody really needs.

It's a bit like King Lear. The son who speaks the truth gets spurned for not being diplomatic. And everybody else just blows smoke up the king's skirt. That's what this ad is doing. It's telling you precisely what you want to hear. And it won't be able to deliver. It'll provide what you think you need. And you'll probably be satisfied with it. Right up until the point when (god forbid) you need it most. Then you're going to learn that there aren't any secrets and that these "what the government doesn't want you to know" programs are complete and utter drivel.

I'm sorry. I wish there were a product that would safeguard your wellbeing that easily. I really do. But it simply doesn't work that way. Lieutenant X is a fictional character created to support a predatory advertising scheme that plays on people's hopes and fears. For that alone, they should be shut down.

Stuart

3. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

Hear, hear Stuart!

4. neb

neb Banned Banned

Is this a bad time to mention that the site is even more extreme now? :D

PS - Listen for the music :) (may have to scroll down to bottom and click play)

5. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Well can't say I know anything about the ABC system, but warning signs lit up in my head saying "scam - give us your money." Maybe it is a claim that this guy was Special Forces (e.g. Green Berets), yet he claims to have been in Military Intelligence which most likely would have fallen into a role as Special Operations.

I really think they only want your money.

Other things that Chris "Lt. X" Pizzo M.Ed. (a.k.a. lieutenant x) is selling:

http://www.15minutehell.com/

In fact, I would bet that it is the same exact videos he is selling with both this and the www.topsecrettraining.com site.

I think the secret is out... err... how to make this guy rich that is. Just maybe this is how this works (hint: look for Chris Pizzo in the list of students):

http://www.trafficsecrets.com/

I could be wrong, could just be a case of mistaken identity. Don't take anything on the internet without a grain of salt.

Well, hopefully we can move on to some humor:

http://www.somethingawful.com/articles.php?a=3286

6. neb

neb Banned Banned

Oooh, I'm actually intrigued with that 15 minute intense workout one :)

For a minute there, I was actually buying all that bull. I'm actually considering if it is all really just bull or if it really is all it says...?

Argh! somebody better post something that smacks some sense into me, marketing or more? Somebody who knows must set me straight in the head before I give my cash to some fat nerd at his computer :eek: :bang: :confused:

7. philp

philp New Member

Truly brilliant! thanks, needed a laugh :D

8. neb

neb Banned Banned

Oh, you're very welcome :)

9. tellner

tellner Valued Member

Martial arts and self defense are very different things. Martial arts can be used for self defense, but they aren't self defense themselves. One of the key differences is time. Many of the training methods and teaching progressions in martial arts take years to come to fruition. This is great if you will have a student for a decade. It's close to worthless if she's going to have to defend herself a few months from now. Self defense classes certainly cut corners; they are looking for the greatest improvement in the shortest time.

You don't get everything in a short term self defense program. The most you can hope for is to get enough to get by.

Agreed. "Lieutenant X's" site is simply the latest in a long line of people who believe "If the good Lord did not want them to be sheared he would not have made them sheep." I know a number of elite military/SpecOps people past and present. They don't do this kind of thing. Their combatives tend to be pretty simple and to the point. And there isn't any magic. For the most part, they train with weapons because that's what you need on a battlefield.

10. DCombatives

DCombatives Valued Member

Even the guys who do Combatives in the military make fun of Lt. X. I think he was the butt of at least one joke every day while I was in Level III.

11. Moldavite_E

Moldavite_E New Member

I can’t get a word in edgewise. When I do, it’s taken completely out of context and picked on.

When I used the phrase “personal laziness” on myself I did not and do NOT expect to learn self defense just by sitting at home painting my toenails (as it happens, just a comic image I just want to use that is in fact untrue, ALL RIGHT, I don’t paint my toenails or finger nails) while watching a DVD.

Yet people actually took me literally on that!

“Personal laziness” is totally subjective. One person's idea of lazy is someone else's... etc. You complete the analogy I'm fresh out. But people took that literally based on their own assumptions that I’m some girlie who’s squeamish about breaking a nail and getting one strand of hair out of place. I DO expect to get on the mat or whatever and have to spar at some point, semi-regularly!

On a minor note, but one to illustrate how meaning can be read differently depending on the person reading and their own context: I DON’T have an issue with the fancy dress one has to wear in some martial arts because hey, some come from my own culture and my general neck of the woods.

The funny pyjamas was a JOKE, for heaven’s sake.

Ever hear blacks using the word “nigger” amongst themselves or Chinese calling each other “Chinks”?

Fine, every martial arts deserves respect, who’s arguing on that??? Everyone, it seems! I’m not laughing at YOU or you or you or was running down anything you do whatever it is you do. I don’t know any of you.

What next? Someone wants to tell ME what I should or shouldn’t find funny? Does laughing make me respect something less or less of a person? Apparently, yes, based on your own value system which is different from mine.

I’m committed to my own safety. I’m dead serious on that. Do I actually need complete strangers to tell me that? Yet there are people here questioning my seriousness. I asked ONE question, and I’m subjected to character defamation. There have been many other questions before and I expect many others afterwards.

This began with the WRONG impression that I was insulting or demeaning all martial arts. People took strange issue with that and it all went downhill from there.

Then they made summary character assassinations with impunity just because I made a joke about MYSELF by being self effacing about my own abilities and experience.

I'm sorry if I sounded as if I was insulting anyone’s intelligence, I only asked a question that still hasn’t been answered. Has anyone used the system? Yes or No. Period. I don’t want hearsay. But people just EMOTED. Yes, I’m generalising. There were other useful responses. I don’t have time to respond individually to everyone. Thank you all for input though. Really. And I mean ALL.

Peace.

Last edited: May 9, 2006
  12. Sankaku-jime

Sankaku-jime Banned Banned

13. neb

neb Banned Banned

14. Nick K

Nick K Sometimes a Valued Member

No problem! Didn't mean to be patronising at all, but can understand how it came over that way. It's difficult when it's not clear about the attitudes/values/experience/skills, etc of the other person. In any event, have been giving the underlying problem - learning effective self defence in a minimum of time -some thought.

There are reality based self defence programmes available to you. The best of these will aim to ensure learning while 'adrenalised' i.e. aroused/scared/uncomfortable in order to facilitate state dependent learning. These are highly instructor skill dependent in my experience. I really don't think they can be done from a DVD or internet course. Unless you use control and restraint, takedown or other skills in your work - law enforcement, penal work, door work, etc - you will need to practise them regularly to ensure they are reliable. Evidence on the decay of physical skills in cardiac resuscitation suggests that training needs to be repeated AT LEAST 6 monthly otherwise skills decay to the point of being ineffective. If you're looking to develop a high level of competence, especially against armed attack, you're looking at a regular commitment to training and conditioning. I would encourage you to read as much as you can - Geoff Thomson (spelling?) is generally recommended. Who knows? - the ABC stuff might be helpful too, but I'm always wary of anything that sounds too good to be true.

Hope you get the answers you want - keep us posted

Last edited: May 9, 2006
  15. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Moldavite_E,

I've come to the belief that a person's education can be greatly influenced by who they know and hang out with. It may be a long shot, but there may be something available through your local police as a starter course.

Your profile lists you as located in Singapore. Have you tried contacting the Singapore Police Public Affairs Department (PAD) about programs they might offer to the general public?

http://www.spf.gov.sg/about_spf/pad/index.htm

Although far from complete, at least here in the United States, many of the Police organizations offer self-protection courses available to the general public. It is mostly educational and less physical, but it is a good first step into taking self-protection seriously IMHO.

Get to know the local police, their methods and tactics, sooner or later it will rub off and doors will open. This can give you the opportunity to help your community, gain knowledge, and continue to search for the self-protection program you are really looking for.

If it isn't from who you know, you might not ever find it because you might be deemed an outsider. If you are an insider, in the know, you won't have to look as hard, opportunities will come to you.

Just some thoughts.

16. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

The comments directed back at you have been mostly in jest or in astonished disbelief... If you wanted sugar coated answers you should have asked and also you should apply your own advice when reading others replies. My own reply for instance was meant majoritively light heartedly and I even apologised for being harsh(!). As for the topics of laziness and interest in clothing any mention of them has been in response to what you said in your original post. Which on both topics was a considerable amount.

The reason people responded harshly to such comments was more of the fact that you suggested at the same time that people were basically just prancing around doing pointless activities that bear no relation to any potential real life situation. And then went on to ask about a system which is clearly and I mean CLEARLY a complete waste of time, promising to turn you into a deadly weapon overnight with no effort. So basically you made suggested generalisations about most martial arts (which by the way may have been correct ;)) but significantly failed to apply such critical skills to one of the most blatant rip off's I personally have ever seen. And for the record I don't do MMA or Karate/Kung Fu or anything in fact that requires me to wear funny pyjama's so its rather unlikely I was replying because you offended my system!

Lose the persecution complex. I'm perfectly sure your a very nice person and I'm also perfectly sure the majority of people replying to you aren't trying to assasinate your character. They are merely responding to your post. A post which complained about putting in effort, pointed out the potential silliness and ineffectiveness of martial arts and then asked about the most ridiculous 'touch of death' secret military system that "congress tried to ban" and "can be learnt overnight".

I seriously doubt anyone on here will have spent the requisite amount to have 'tried' this system. As Stuart already pointed out to you it is a system promising the world with minimal effort and all you have to do is pay a couple of 100 dollars... that should ring alarm bells for anyone. If you only want people with experience of the system then just watch the video testimonies I mean they all say its fantastic!

Anyhow... for something a bit productive to finish with here is a summary of the alternatives suggested if you chose not to go with lieutenant X's secret training:

-Learn boxing... it's not difficult to pick up the basics in a few months and knowing how to and being able to throw a decent punch is very useful in most self defence situations.
    -Look into RBSD (Reality Based Self Defence) courses. Most of these courses as far as I am aware offer simple techniques and deal with performing such techniques in 'self defence' scenario's and attempting to prepare people to be able to perform such techniques when under significant stress.
    -Look into courses run or promoted by your local police force.
    -Learn Krav Maga (No idea about Krav maga seen some dodgy gun disarm stuff once but some people rave about it).

17. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Well said CKava.

18. TigerDude

TigerDude Valued Member

I just like the idea that if he was just a stud boy, why didn't he make it past Lt? Isn't it a bit like Khadaffi being head of his country, but only being a Colonel?

If you're going to go make stuff up, wouldn't Captain X sound better? Major X? Lance Corporal X?