a Travesty in action

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Travess, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

Thursday (18/10/18)

AM:
    Okay, so, today's Insanity DVD (yup, still trying to flog that dead horse) was inaccurately (in my opinion) entitled 'Cardio Recovery' - 'Slow burn Leg Day' would have been more apt...

Luckily I have rest day planned for tomorrow, which ironically I think I will need, to fully recover from my recovery workout!

(I really hope that Sensei will be true to his word tonight, in that I'll be doing more teaching, and less actual taking part, as I have a serious case of jelly legs going on...)

PM:
    Karate @ 90 minutes - Well, so much for not getting too involved!

We started off with 20 minutes of Kihon Drills, to get the blood pumping, before moving onto some Padwork - 70 minutes straight pad drills to be exact - Which tonight got under way with a single 3-minute round, with the pad holder calling out the number (upto 6, in any one combination) of strikes. We then looked at Striking whilst Retreating, which we did firstly at a moderate speed, then with the pad holder rushing in at you.
    Next up we worked on Striking on the Angles, with targets being presented randomly at an angle and any target height.
    The 3rd drill had us standing just within striking distance of the pad holder, who would take a sizeable step backwards, then present the pads, leaving the striker to have to Strike covering Distance.
    Finally, we pieced all of the drills together, for a Free Flowing Pad Drill, working the angles, level changes and constantly shifting ranges.

Granted, this was a lot more exhausting than the session that I was expecting, but man, was it ever fun!

Friday (19/10/18) - Rest Day*

*Well, myself and Mrs T will be celebrating 22 years together tomorrow, so trips to the garage, or pounding the pavement are probably best left until Saturday! :D

Travess

axelb likes this.
  2. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

The amount of times my "recovery leg day" ends up with jelly legs, it always seems they take the most beating.

Happy anniversary :) enjoy the rest day.

3. Travess

Going up (and down) the stairs has been unpleasant today, but even that is a walk in the park, when compared to getting up from (and again down to) the floor, to play with my 2-year-old.

Cheers mate - As soon as she gets home from work, we will do just that.

Travess

axelb likes this.
  4. axelb

Oh my, I've been there many times, getting up from the floor becomes a mammoth task. I always dread the middle of the night walk (or hobble) to the toilet

Travess likes this.
  5. Travess

Friday + Saturday (19 + 20/10/18) - Rest Days

I had always planned on Friday day being a rest day, but Saturday should have been a High Intensity Bag/Insanity Cardio Routine, which would have left Sunday as another rest day.

It's not the end of the world, as I can just take a double rest day, then swap the Saturday cardio workout for the Sunday.

Sunday (21/10/18)

Okay, so thanks to going a little bit too heavy on the liquid festivities last night (one of the guys from my club got married) I am yet again gonna be postponing my cardio-work, in favour of something less exhaustive.

It's been a while (nothing new there) since I headed out to the garage though, with the intentions of lifting any Weights, so that is what I did instead - Keeping things pretty light though!

Bench Press
    25 x Bar (warm up - range of motion)
    24 x 25kg (3 x 8)
    18 x 35kg (3 x 6)
    12 x 45kg (3 x 4)

30 sec Plank

Standing (bent over) Row
    25 x Bar (warm up - range of motion)
    24 x 25kg (3 x 8)
    21 x 30kg (3 x 7)
    18 x 35kg (3 x 6)

45 sec Plank

Deadlift
    15 x 45kg (15)

1 min Plank

Bicep Curls
    15 x Bar (warm up - range of motion)
    27 x 10kg (3 x 9)
    24 x 15kg (3 x 8)
    18 x 20kg (7, 6, 5)

Time for a shower, a pint of chocolate milk, and then it's off to bed...

Travess

axelb likes this.
  6. Travess

Monday (22/10/18)

Karate @ 90 minutes - Between a quick 10 minute Kihon based warm-up at the start of the session, and around 15 minutes of relaxed Peer-to-Peer Kata Analysis at the end, the bulk of this lesson was dedicated to Sparring Drills

25 x 2 minute Themed rounds, working on Clinch Work, Striking Only Drills - Hands only, Feet only, Hands and feet - Striking to enter the Clinch, Striking in the Clinch and Striking/Escaping out of the Clinch.

None of these drills were full contact, as half the class will be sparring again on Thursday, as part of their grading on Saturday - that didn't stop me from damaging the side of my left hand, getting a golf ball sized lump on my shin, or from having a rather tender nose.

Travess

axelb likes this.
  7. Travess

Tuesday (23/10/18)

I finally had the time, energy and motivation, to get 'Saturday's' planned Insanity/Bag-Work routine nipped. Thanks to (minor) injuries picked up at training last night though, (welted right shin, swollen left hand, and very stiff neck/traps) there will have to be one crucial change - I replaced all scheduled Bag-Work with Shadow Boxing.

Warm-up (18+ mins)
    10+ minutes of Light Cardio Drills
    7+ Breathing / Stretching Drills

Workout (30 mins)
    Working for 12 x 2 minute rounds, (30s rest between each) Each round is either consists of just 2 minutes of straight Bag-Work Shadow Boxing, or it's randomly alternated every 20, 30, 40 or 60 seconds between various Insanity Drills and Bag-Work Shadow Boxing.

Cool Down (10+ mins)
    8+ mins of Breathing / Stretching Drills
    Tensho Kata

Duration: 60 minutes
    Starting HR: 74 bpm
    Max HR: 176 bpm
    Average HR: 151 bpm
    Calories: 605 used

Note: For some reason, I can't shake this feeling that I didn't work has hard as I could of today...

Travess

axelb likes this.
  8. axelb

Looks like you got the work in to me :D

9. Travess

Yeah, it took a few hours, but my body finally started to agree with you!

Wednesday (24/10/18) - Rest Day

I had the pleasure a Daddy (youngest) daughter day today (eldest out at sports camp, and Mrs T off Christmas drinking shopping, with the other mums) which limited my training options, so rather than trying to shoehorn a workout in, I just took a rest day. (I did pick up some new running shoes though, which I'll hopefully christen on Friday!)

Thursday (25/10/18)

AM:
    I run the risk of falling in to the same trap that I did last Thursday, in that Sensei has told me that I will be doing nothing but teaching/supervising this evening at Karate - Not 100% sure that It'll play out as planned, but that did not prevent me from doing a short 'novelty' Strength Session - As today is the 25th, I decided to do 25 reps, in a single set, of 12 varying exercises - 30s rest between each set

Warm-up:
    4 min Light Cardio Tabata
    4 min Stretching/Mobility Drills Tabata

Exercises:
    Military (knuckle) Push Ups
    Squats
    Mason Twists
    KB Swings
    (12kg)
    Tricep Dips
    Butt Bridges
    Bicep Curls
    Bent over Row
    Calf Lifts
    Lateral Arm Circles
    Press
    Crunches

Cool Down:
    4 min Stretching/Mobility Drills Tabata
    Tensho Kata

Duration: 27 mins
    Starting HR: 73 bpm
    Max HR: 146 bpm
    Average HR: 110 bpm
    Calories: 135 used

PM:
    Karate @ 90 minutes - The senior instructor was running late, so one of the other Sensei got the class started. So, for the first 12+ minutes at least, I had to get more involved than originally planned - I got in 4 x 90 second rounds of Stand-up Grappling, and 4 x 90 second rounds of Ground Randori, before the senior instructor showed up, who then took me to one side, to cover the plan of action for the remainder of the session.

I took the entire class through a few Breakfall Drills, followed closely by some Light Stretching, before breaking them down in matching grade groups, for the rest of the 'marked' sparring.

I had a fairly small group (6 students) who, in rotating pairs, had to do a minimum of 2 x 90 second rounds of Striking (hands only) 2 x 90 second rounds of Striking (hands and feet) 2 x 90 second rounds of Playing for Throws (no striking) and 2 x 90 second rounds of Ground Submissions (moderate striking) as part of their grading requirements - Their scores will be added to their overall marks on Saturday, following the rest of their grading.

Travess

axelb likes this.
  10. Travess

Friday (26/10/18)

I found myself to be child and wife free (temporarily) this morning, so jumped at the chance to get in a little 'me time'* in (and out of) the garage.

Warm-up:
    6 min moderate Cardio Tabata
    6 min Stretching Tabata

Routine:
    6 min Bag-Work Tabata

3m 17s Rest - the time it took for my HR to drop back down to 116 bpm (which is what it was ahead of the Bag-work)

30 min Road Run** @ 3.3 miles (9m 08s per/mile)

3m 49s rest - the time it took for my HR to drop back down to 116 bpm again.

6 min Bag-Work Tabata

Cool Down:
    6 min Stretching Tabata
    Tensho Kata

Duration: 1h 12m
    Starting HR: 84 bpm
    Max HR: 177 bpm
    Average HR: 149 bpm
    Calories: 660 used

Note:
    *We had a lovely family outing, followed by a nice meal, later in the day, which balanced everything out nicely.

**Broke in my new trainers today, and I have to say, thus far I am fairly impressed.

Travess

axelb likes this.
  11. axelb

Good pace whilst breaking in the new trainers :D which type are they?

I know I'm due some more, but I've done so little running recently I'll wait until christmas

Travess likes this.
  12. Travess

The pace was a little faster than I intended it to be - My running app gives me an audible distance and pace update every 5 minutes, and I started off at 9m 42s per/mile, and I remember thinking that I was happy to maintain that pace. (I could even swear that I slowed down following each update, but apparently I didn't.)

Nothing fancy, just 'Asics Gel-Windhawkes' which were very snug, and could not have fit my foot shape better, short of having them made specifically for me.

My last pair actually fell apart on me, (sole from upper) so the decision was literally taken away from me.

Travess

axelb likes this.
  13. Travess

Saturday (27/10/18) - Rest Day

It was the day of our adult class kyu grading today, so beyond the odd demonstration of sequences and/or drills, I mostly just sat behind a desk with a pen in my hand.

Sunday (28/10/18)

Well, it is now the last Sunday of the month, which can only mean one thing (for me) Time for my Insanity 'Fit Test' - Now, if I'd stuck to the program as suggested, I would have completed a total of 11 Insanity workouts (in the 2 weeks) between tests, but as I did not, I have only completed 3... (in 4 weeks :oops: )

Anyway, enough with the excuses, time for the facts and figures.

Warm-up: (8 mins)
    5 mins Moderate Cardio Drills
    3 mins Light Stretching

Test: (17 mins)
    Switch Kicks x 57 (+5 on last month)
    Power Jacks x 63 (+10 on last month)
    Power Knees x 98 (+8 on last month)
    Power Jumps x 40 (+8 on last month)
    Globe Jumps x 9 (+1 on last month)
    Suicide Jumps x 16 (+1 on last month)
    Push Up Jacks x 21 (+6 on last month)
    Plank Obliques x 41 (+9 on last month)

Cool Down: (5 mins)
    3+ mins of Light Stretching
    Tensho Kata

Duration: 30 mins
    Starting HR: 78 bpm
    Max HR: 180 bpm
    Average HR: 151 bpm
    Calories: 313 used

Note: I'm not gonna lie, my results today were considerably more encouraging then I expected them to be, especially given how uncommitted I have been to the program.

I think for next month's test though, rather than pushing for a higher rep count, I shall be looking to maintain these numbers, but without the feeling of over-exertion/nausia that I experienced today.

Travess

axelb likes this.
  14. Travess

Monday (29/10/18)

AM:
    Just a couple of Strength Exercises this morning, to get the old blood pumping, and to set me up for the day...

110 (15-down-to-5) x Push Ups, alternating each set between Military (knuckle) Push Ups and Regular Push Ups

110 (15-down-to-5) x Bicep Curls, (using my 12kg KB*) alternating each set between Regular (supinated) Grip, and Hammer Grip. (*minimal rest between sets, due to the low weight used.)

PM:
    Karate @ 60/65 minutes - It was my youngests 3rd birthday today, so I waited until after she had settled, until heading out to the Dojo.

When I arrived, the session was well underway, with everyone in pairs going thru some Pad Drills. The lesson plan for tonight, as I was to discover, was Power Generation and Impact, so I attached myself to 2 of the hardest hitting guys in the class, who were already partnered up together.
    The variety of techniques covered was not exhaustive, just Straight Strikes, Hammerfists and Backfists, but the process of delivery was more so. We looked at, amonst other things, Tension Release, the negatives of Excessive Hip Rotations, the benefits of 'Punching with the Hip' and of course, Intent.

My arms were pretty jellified by the end of it all, so what I ever exercise/workout I choose to do tomorrow, I'll definitely be taking that into account.

Travess

axelb likes this.
  15. Travess

Tuesday (30/10/18)

I did not have a workout planned for today, as I had fully intended to make it a rest day, but woke up feeling the 'itch' and didn't want to wast it.

I just ended up cobbling the below program together at the last minute, and just doubled the time spent in each as I went, until I had what I'd consider an adequate workout time.

2 min Light Cardio - Various Insanity Drills
    4 min Bodyweight Exercises - Squats, Mason Twists, Butt Bridges and Calf Lifts
    8 mins Moderate Stretching
    16 mins Shadow Boxing/Kata
    - Ichi, Ni, Saifa, Seyunchin, Shisochin, Sanchin and Tensho
    32 mins Tempo Road Run @ 3.68 miles - slowest pace 9m 38s per/mile, fastest pace 7m 40s per/mile, average pace 8m 41s per/mile

Note: The new trainers are still fairing pretty well, even with the increased pace, so early in their infancy - I did get the niggle of the makings of a blister, but I attribute that more to the fact that I wasn't wearing a pair of my 'more miles' socks, than to the trainers.

Duration: 1h 10m
    Starting HR: 72 bpm
    Max HR: 182 bpm
    Average HR: 135 bpm
    Calories: 639 used

Travess

axelb likes this.
  16. axelb

those more mile socks make such a difference I noticed switching back recently

Travess likes this.
  17. Travess

I've lost count of the amount of people that I have recommend them to, who have in turn recommend them to others, since you previously suggested them.

Travess

axelb likes this.
  18. axelb

I wish I was told about them sooner, would saved me a lot of blisters and corns :D

Travess likes this.
  19. Travess

Wednesday (31/10/18)

(Warning: Grump old man post)

Another rest day narrowly averted - Now, I'm not saying that I was being the worst version of myself today, mood wise, but my wife was adamant that I was giving my best effort.

So, rather than bringing a dark cloud to my girls Trick or Treating experience, I excused myself, choosing to work off my unwarranted frustrations instead...

...Today, that came in the form of 30 (or so) minutes of Tabata Strength Training

Warm-up: (9 mins)

Tabata 1:
    4 min Light Cardio Drills

Tabata 2:
    4 min Stretching / Mobility Drills

Routine: (18 mins)

Tabata 3: (Legs)
    1 min Squats / Sumo Squats
    1 min Butt Bridges
    1 min Calf Lifts
    1 min Lunges / Reverse Lunges

Tabata 4: (Abs/Core)
    1 min Crunches
    1min Plank
    1 min Mason Twists
    1 min Plank

Tabata 5: (Chest)
    1 min Flat Press
    1 min Decline Press
    1 min Press Out
    1 min Push Ups / Military Push Ups

Tabata 6: (Arms)
    1 min Forearm Grips
    1 min Bicep Curls
    (Supinated Grip)
    1 min Tricep Dips
    1 min Bicep Curls
    (Hammer Grip)

Cool Down: (4 mins)
    4 mins Stretching / Mobility Drills

Note: I am now suitably relaxed, in costume, and loving all the little faces, scary or otherwise, that are coming to my door - All is right with the world again!

Travess

axelb likes this.
  20. Travess

Thursday (01/11/18) - Rest Day

So, I finally managed to 'technically' get in a rest day this week, despite having both the Kids Karate class, and the Adults Karate class this evening. True, I did a little Kata, hit a few Pads (for demonstration purposes) and did a Bodyweight Exercise or 2 (also for demonstration purposes) but beyond that, all I did was teach.

Travess

axelb likes this.