A stupid question from an ignorant person

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by robin101, Aug 15, 2010.

1. afhuss

afhuss Valued Member

...about Robin's last question. The head of my aikido organization is not a fan of the UFC, nor is he really a fan of sports in general. I think he appreciates their athleticism, but that's about it. My dojo cho, myself, and many of the guys I train with often get together to watch UFC matches. Being sogu budoka, we find technical interest in watching these fights as well as just the competitiveness of it. One guy (trains in aikido) used to fight MMA and now trains about 4 MMA fighters at his own gym. Another guy competes in BJJ, and another one competes in SAMBO. All do aikido and other traditional JMA for the benefits they get from their training. But I digress...

I have never been encouraged against watching UFC or supporting it in any official or formal way. In fact, we sometimes schedule our instructors meetings to end around a fight so we can go out afterwards and watch it together.

2. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Realised that I had said something that had already been said a while back - so no point in saying it :)

Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
  3. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

yep I already had that pointed out to me. I had forgoten that he had told me in the same conversation that he had written the English version of Shioda shihan's book.

He had told me of a rather funny incedent in Angry White Pygama's in responce to a rather funny/frightening incedent where one of my students had loaned a sword to Chiba shihan for a demonstration. He had cleaned it the night before and forgotten to put the pin in that held the hilt to the blade.

It was only during the demonstration that he realised that. Fortunately the blade did not come loose.

4. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Typical. Ask a serious question and get pseudo-spiritual babble instead of an honest answer.

5. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

More an attempt to utilize philosophical sounding statements to cloak a backpedal from a condescending post.

6. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

Never

Well, you start with the flaws inherent in the various drills and methods of your dojo (since you have never been to my dojo, you must be referring to your own dojo), and I'll see what I can do.

You might have to lead in and set the atmosphere a little: Like this part is for real, and this part is not for real. This part we pretend, and this part we choose not to pretend.

7. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

Maybe

But I will agree with a previous poster, Koyo is looking pretty good at 65ish. Hope I look that good, tho my hair won't grow as long as his anymore:confused:

8. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

Brawl?

I don't advocate "brawling" at all, especially for the entertainment of others via satellite or cable tv. An believe me, it won't be me you have to worry about with the weapon, it is 1) the person you keep training in your mind that you will have to go against some day, and 2) the real person you might happen to encounter that just happens to be a little more prepared than you on that particular day.

9. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

Hiding?

Well, I pretty much came out and said it, I'm not hiding. On the other hand, you with 40 years of aikido experience must be doing aikido pretty close to the way O sensei did it, right? Or are you hiding behind 40 years of not even trying to do what he did, which is what most aikidoka do consciously/ subconsciously.

Why is everyone elses aikido different from what O sensei the one who started aikido different. Did his aikido not work? Was what he did ineffective, and so it's okay to not practice what he was doing? Or is it perhaps we train (wrongly) in the hopes of someday waking up and all of the sudden being able to do aikido his way, and do what he did?

Then there is another possibility. It is possible that those students of his that he attempted to show the "way" or do, just couldn't understand it themselves. They may have been great martial artists, but why did they not follow the path? Why don't they do aikido the way O sensei intended it to be?

10. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

And yet another answer:

Why don't aikidoka participate in MMA/UFC? Well, isn't it a little more exciting here on the forums? With just a few simple posts you have such great entertainment!

11. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Oh no you're a bit lost aren't you :rolleyes:

You will note I refer to dojo training in general this is because virtually all drills or methods of training in a dojo environment have some form of flaw, whether it is kata, sparring or "slow training" they all have something that you need to take into account.

You can see I don't need to have been to your dojo, this is a subject you should be able to discusd with us without any of us having trained with you.

As for you gibbering on again about "real" well do you think you could answer my question about how many times you've hurt your uke, by that I mean injuries such as dislocating a joint or breaking a bone.

Or are we to believe you treat each person in your dojo as you would a mugger or some type of asocial "predator"?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
  12. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

izumizu,

You're new here. That's cool. So let me bring you up to speed. See that "thanks" field in the top right of every post? That shows how often someone has been "thanked" for helpful posts. See how Koyo's is 1,212, more than anyone else here? That's a safe indication that he knows what he's talking about.

As for his Aikido, he has already posted videos. I'm not sure what he's saying, as I don't speak Scottish, but his technique looks good to me.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xI5DASHCftE"]YouTube- Part 1 of 3 : Traditional Aikido - William Coyle[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVAKU4bygmA"]YouTube- Part 2 of 3 : Traditional Aikido - William Coyle[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx8IfbmwXFM"]YouTube- Part 3 of 3: Traditional Aikido - William Coyle[/ame]

You, on the other hand, have not. If you're going to cast aspersions on some of the most respected members here, and on the board as a whole, I have one suggestion for you:

Put up or shut up.

YouTube is free. It's easy to use. Post some videos of your training if you think you're so much better than everyone else here.

13. Dizzyj

Dizzyj Valued Member

AMEN!

14. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Dean Winchester

Those are demos..so they are quite slow by comparison to actual training.

The ukemi are quite painfull at times and the ara waza (severe techniques) are quite painfull. BUT I have NEVER injured a student.

Exhausted, bruised etc..yes. Even then they are not considered as real in a real fight.In a real fight 90% of aikido is striking (atemi) and pre-empting any attack.
    For an example of a real fight see koyo's book.

Real fighting is horrible and should be avoided at all cost if possible.

Note also that ukemi is the result of being thrown and I ALLOW it rather than uke performing it.As you say attempting to hurt someone during training....is nonsense.

regards koyo

izumizu

O Sensei said that his ability was based on a LIFTIME OF HARD TRAINING.His dojo was called "The HELL Dojo" because of the severity of the training.

Many of the original shihan were against introducing aikido to the west because it was thought that "Those with a little knowledge would present it in an egotistical manner and attempt to make financial benefits from teaching."

Too often I have seen some attempting to execute techniques "like O Sensei" and when challenged outside of their dojo they could do very little.

I have seen one sitting in a chair and "countering" attacks from four swordsmen simultaneously. He himself would not have lasted minutes in a serious class with us.

O Sensei and all of the original shihan taught very little. The emphasis was on presenting challenges that the student must investigate and answer themselves.

Attempting to be a clone of O Sensei or any of the original shihan was considered arrogance and was treated with contempt.

Cross training with those who have no interest in performing ukemi shall teach you more about your own standard than training within your own comfort zone.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
  15. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

I never said you did advocate brawling... I said you advocated pulling a knife on someone. Which is pretty much the dumbest thing you could advise in almost any situation.

I also fail to see how you are claiming some sort of moral superiority over boxers/kickboxer/MMA fighters etc yet talking about drilling someone in the face with a home made weapon with such evident glee and self satisfaction. Its pretty hypocritical non?

And with regards to this...

Weapons turn a good day bad... that's one of the reasons why you shouldn't go flashing them about at people. I'm under no illusions about what a knife will do to me in even the most unskilled hands...

I'd love to see some video of how you prepare for this particular encounter.

16. TRK

TRK Valued Member

Injury would be unavoidable-that is the point of the technique, no? Someone attacks you, so you stop the attack and control them. If you know what you are doing, you get to pick something relatively painless like ikkyo which controls without serious damage, or something rough like shiho nage which causes massive damage to an arm at least. If someone attacked me in the street, their well being comes in way lower on my priority list than mine.

Why do you train? If you train to look good, you doing a dance, not MA.

17. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

Fine then:

Go ahead and make some generalizations about some dojos you have never been to, and generalize some inherent flaws that those places may have, and I'll try and keep up with you. Or you can talk from experience, and begin with the places you do frequent and have been to. What's real? What's not real?

I have hurt many people in my life. Many, many people in my life. Most of them were very close to me, and some of them still are. 99% of those people I hurt, I did so without even touching them. You don't have to be big and tuff and know how to beat some body in a guard to hurt people. Think about it, and then figure out in your life what is real, and what is not real, and quit offering up real for not real, and not real for real. Free yourself, and free those around you.

18. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

Right...

19. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

You can't answer the question can you lol

Again it's not about specific places it's about methodology but to be honest it seems like you don't understand the issue enough for us to discuss it and so we get this gibberish off you.

As for "hurting" people lol well done on totally avoiding the issue. Again another question you can not adequately address.

20. robin101

robin101 Working the always shift.

Well thanks for all the real answers guys, I learned alot. I am not saying MMA is the be all and end all of martial arts, (that we be real life self defence applications) , but i wondered why such a grapple centric art that was effective did not have more of an MMA presence.

I practice kyokushin karate, mostly because what I saw of real life fights were punches, leg and body kicks, and knees (at least the standing up part). all of them are in kyokushin. It may not rate high on the culture stakes but I love it.

Thanks for the insights everyone.