A stupid question from an ignorant person

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by robin101, Aug 15, 2010.

1. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

Not to detract from OPs original question

In anycase, as you can see there are a multitude of reasons, I did my best to offer my take on the subject, but in fact the real question should be:

Why arn't there many ninjas that compete in MMA/UFC?

2. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

You have no idea how hilarious addressing this post to Koyo is!

3. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

Funny, eh?

Actually he must be laughing so hard he forgot to tell me...:)

Laughter is the best medicine, and after that, a little joy, elation, smiles for all, you know the stuff that lets us know we feel good.

4. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

It's actually because you're calling him "young Jedi" when apparently from his pictures he's not exactly some prepubescent teen. He's been training longer than most of the posters on here have been alive.

(No offense, Koyo. You look good for your age!)

Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
  5. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

lol :confused:

No the pain was because we were training. If it had been for real I'd of had broken ribs a broken arm and either loss of conciousness or death from the choke.

I'm working from a completly different mindset to you.......and I'm glad of it.

6. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

This has got what to do with anything in this thread?

My point was that saying you can't do MMA due to the use of weapons in Aikido is silly. There's nothing to stop an Aikidoka entering a competition and keeping a their standard manner of training, of course they might find they need to add a few bits. It's not like your art is reliant on you carrying a weapon for you to use it.

If Aikiken helps with empty hand waza then it should be included in training should it not? Regardless of what said training is for.

7. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

It is against the law to carry a sword or a spear/stick in Scotland.That is why it is studied to learn the principles which are used emptyhanded.

I do not need to " go back" ten years to see what aikido was like.

I have seen it/teach it as it was ment to be and seen it as it has become in many clubs.

Ki aikido was proven to be utterly ineffective as a martial art. Tohei had to agree.Hence it was renamed Ki Society.
    1 No aikido techniques shall be taught in ki aikido classes
    2 No aikido names will be used in ki aikido classes
    3 The facilities of the aiki kai will not be used to teach
    4 No aikido students should be invited to attend ki aikido classes
    These are a few of the rules Tohei agreed to as he created his own art.

ALL of the original shihan taught aikido as a VERY effective martial art.Again I suggest that you attempt to crosstrain.

Below training with Noro shihan 1959 and I teach at the makotokai 50 plus years later.

Attached Files:

• hut.gif
      hut.gif
      File size:
      47.9 KB
      Views:
    • koyo.gif
      koyo.gif
      File size:
      72.8 KB
      Views:
  8. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Actually, F/A-18 pilots do kind of need the F/A-18 in order to drop bombs. I once saw a pilot hopping, flapping his arms wildly, and squeezing a Hellfire missile between his legs. It didn't end well.

9. Freakminer64

Freakminer64 Valued Member

If you're not risking injury to a level of say a Judo class, than the Aikido you're practicing must lack effectiveness.
    No, not everything has to hurt, when I was uke to Sensei Crawford
    http://www.yoshinkan-aikido.com/images/CrawfordSaveryGoryukanHonbu.jpg
    (he's on the left) The techniques didn't hurt, but they're enough to subdue me. Although for beginners, when you are in the role of the attacker, you have to be able to give and recieve the pain, in order to explore and understand the breaking point of a technique. (IMHO)

If you aren't smiling during a technique, doesn't necessarily mean you are expending more energy by "grimacing" and looking "mean". When we're practicing techniques I am neither smiling nor looking mean, I am just completely focused on the technque and the principles behind it.

If after 25 years of practice, uke isn't resisting, when you practice techniques, than how are you ever going to learn martial effectiveness ?
    I've always been told that if the technique isn't making you go, than don't. The role of uke is important to understand, as you've stated, but primarily as a method of avoiding unnecessary injuries.

10. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Uke MUST fall when he has been properley unbalanced. It is up to tori to execute the technique in a manner that does not injure uke.

If uke falls intentionaly..he is behaving incorrectly and the technique is ineffective.

properly executed techniques demand that tori executes them in such a manner that uke is thrown into a breakfall.

If uke attempts to control his own ukemi..he shall be injured. Below the hip throw shows uke being controlled into a ukemi. The other shows that no ukemi would be possible unless tori directs it.

Attached Files:

11. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

What is your obsession with this? And the what do you even mean? Do you really think people are expending energy to look mean?

You should probably look into the backgrounds of those you address before issuing your patronising and asinine drivel in their direction... heres a clue - Koyo is well over 65 and is far more experienced in Aikido then yourself.

You sound like a passive aggressive, pretentious tool on this thread.

12. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

Well duh!! Everyone knows that hopping and flapping only works with a SIDEWINDER.

13. afhuss

afhuss Valued Member

Izumi is a great example why most martial artists hate aikido and the people who do it. The pretentiousness and assumptions are staggering and lack of grounded reality unfortunate. It's quite sad.

14. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

Amen. :cool:

15. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

QFT.

I'm not sure what power I'll have at 65 but at 56 I'm still going strong. I've been training BJJ once or twice a week now for a little over 2 years. I anticipate that I'll still be training at 65.

16. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Can this be stickied some how as how to fail epically ?

17. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

For real?

Glad your training not for real, as opposed to the for real.

18. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

Still young

Compared to a prepubescent teen he might be grandfatherly, compared to a mountain, he is barely a year old. We are all young at heart, unless your heart has been hardened, and you build solid walls around yourself for fear of letting the universe in.

Soft overcomes strong. The path of least resistance, correct action with minimal effort, maximum efficiency.

19. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

Well, considering that aikido is nothing new, or origional, all the skills, applications, and philosophies and techniques can be traced back 1000's of years to other other martial arts, then effectively those tennets would not be that hard to agree to, since you are not actually teaching aikido but in essence teaching what has come before under a new name of "aikido," there would be no violation of those 4 rules.

Tohei creating his own art? I don't think so. KIKO had been around thousands of years before Toheis little exercises were grouped together for his ki society endeavors.

Given that aikido takes its roots from a host of other martial arts (what, you think that taking someone down by the arm in ikkyo is a new and origional concept limmited only to aikido? Or that jujinage was invented by O sensei?), when practiced effectively, and with hamni handachi, and swariwaza, and weapons included, and then throw in a little futari waza, well, pretty much you are cross training.

20. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

If after 25 years of practice, uke isn't resisting, when you practice techniques, than how are you ever going to learn martial effectiveness ?
    I've always been told that if the technique isn't making you go, than don't. The role of uke is important to understand, as you've stated, but primarily as a method of avoiding unnecessary injuries.[/QUOTE]

To the point that uke is resisting they are no longer attacking, which means there is no longer a threat to you. Aikido in this form then has no energy to deal with. It is impossible for you to attack and resist in the same moment. It would be like staying seated (resisting) and trying to spring up out of the chair (attacking) at the same time. To think that I have to do something now, at this moment, just because an attack came and I moved out of the way, and now uke has stopped attacking and is resisting my efforts, and WAITING to see if I can do it or not, is the kind of stuff school boys toy around with on playgrounds after school. I have never, in my entire life, had someone attack me, and then wait for me to attempt to do something to them while resisting. When it happens, I'll let you know.