A stupid question from an ignorant person

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by robin101, Aug 15, 2010.

1. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

--
    And within the lines and circles (which as you have stated all lines are circles, all circles are lines), you will find yin and yang.

2. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

Originally Posted by robin101
    hello

I know not that much about Aikido, though it has intersted me since I read a book about an englishman who trained the senshusei riot police aikido course called "Angry white pajamas"

I learned afterwards that it is thought to be quite biased and disrespectfull. Though i think some of the info in it about techniques etc were probably true.

My question is this, Why is Aikido not more present in UFC/MMA. It seems to be a very effective grappling art, and seems to be effective as the riot police in tokyo train it , and it is taught to some body guards. Is it simply because UFC is not well thaught of in Aikido circles. Or is it because the governing body do not allow them to?

--
    Anyways, since my first postings in this forum, on page 2, were directed towards robin101, the OP...I will post my first three answers to his post that brought us to where we are now:

Post #20
    I'm sure it has already been stated, but aikido in its purest form is non-competitive.

Other than that, MMA/UFC does not allow wrist joint locks.

Post #22
    I gave your question a little more thought: Aikido also trains with weapons from time to time, especially at the higher levels. This comprises a portion of the art. To take away a portion of the art would dilute the art.

Most aikido practitioners are still learning, perfecting, and trying to understand what aikido encompasses so as to make their aikido sound. This holds true at even the high levels of practitioners, hence the reason you have folks practicing aikido 30, 40, 50, 60+ years. Practicing that long, the same art, you really have to enjoy what you do, realize there is still more to do and learn, and have the discipline to keep showing up on the mats day after day for years and years and years and years.

Also, if you look at the aikido practitioners either on youtube, or in your local neighborhood aikido dojo, rec center, or club, you will find that they generally have expressions of joy and elation on their faces, unless that is, they are contemplating the latest aspects of a technique they are trying to perfect. But generally, smiles, laughter, and all around good feelings is what you will find in aikido. Very few practitioners will be able to look mean enough, or do that little head weave bobble action common to the NFL bobble dolls, that seems to comprise much of what is accepted as prime time entertainment, and shown on television/satellite.

Now from time to time, an individual may pull a muscle, tear a ligament, twist an ankle, and so on, and then the grimace of pain and agony may cross their face, but generally it subsides rather quickly, and after 4-6 weeks (could be longer in the case of a broken collar bone, bruised or cracked ribs...) of healing that individual is usually back on the mats and moving on with thier efforts to understand aikido. Some practitioners may return to the mats even sooner, but all efforts are taken to ensure injuries are kept to a minimum and that dojo safety is a constant.

Well, that's all for now. If I think of anything else, I'll be sure to add it. Thanks for such a great question!

Post #23
    On an entirely different note, you don't see many Eagle Scouts or US Army Green Berets in MMA/UFC competition either.

An basically, there you have it...

3. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

COMBATSPORT_SET1.png
    --
    Also, this would apply: (without the reference to JUDO, BJJ, MMA) of course

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  4. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

i noticed this in hapkido. as i became more proficient, the circles got smaller. i think that comes with experience.

i'm also remembering previous posts from koyo about aikido being angular not circular.

5. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

izumizu,

well done. You have taken this thread well off topic and then finish up with a response to the original question and more or less imply that you are the winner. Excellent troll job. :rolleyes:

6. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

--

And I didn't even step into a octagon, or dodecahedron, or whatever it is. And I was just basically replying to posts that were directed to me, so I did have a little bit of help.

Thanks for your understanding. (but I really don't think we are finished yet...we have not yet gotten to "martial" or "martial sport" yet).

7. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Which shows you have never trained with the original shihan.

Such as Enoida shotokan karate and Chiba aikido.

Or me for that instance since I trained with both of them and they crosstrained together.

Enoida executing irrimi nage aikido technique and Chiba swordwork.

Attached Files:

8. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Izumizu

If you see smiles good feeling and laughter during training it is NOT aikido. I am surprised that you posted that again.

This is the "modern" approach where money and numbers are the only reason for teaching.

No one with that attitude would last for a minute under my instruction.

Rebel

Once I was once told "Yes the movement is circular but the circle has no diameter." This was from Sekiya shihan Chiba shihan's father in law who stayed with me for a couple of months.

9. SsangKall

SsangKall Valued Member

i liked angry white pajamas

10. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

My apologies.Instead of saying "various ways" I should have listed all the word combinations I used which included the words "hound" and "dog" in my searches.Guess I was assuming too much that the term "various ways" would be understood to mean that.

As to this-

"Would you call a hammer a stone? Why not call it what it is? Contact sport. It's a noun. It means a sport in which competitors necesarily come into contact with one another. Calling it something that it is not to suit your ever growing vocabulary does not change it at all from what it already is, what has already been defined, and what has already existed. I still ask, what makes it distinctly different from a contact sport that now warants this designation? "

Why are you asking me this?I've never said I used the term "combat sport",have I?I did say it was a term in use by many. I fail to see why the usage of the term is an issue.

There's an idiosyncratic expression used by some English speakers which goes "put up with".Example- "They had to put up with it." People using this term know what they mean by it and I imagine you do also,but there is no way this word combination literally expresses the meaning people give it. Should one try to convince people not to use the expresion as it's grammatically meaningless in the context of which it is used? Lotsa luck. I've heard English teachers use it.

Seems the English speaking world is stuck with the fact that some people use the term "combat sports",and two US states now use the term "combative sports". Consider it an idiosyncracy if you wish, but it appears at this time the term isn't going away.It's a moot point if one considers it an incorrect definition.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  11. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

"Combat sports" is just another way to say "combative sports" (combative sports is the more formal sounding way of saying it).

I think it is a fascinating term because it demonstrates how the Internet and media can be used to "rewrite history". I already posted about this in this thread. Basically, UFC was advertised as "anything goes fighting" and indeed before UFC, there was NHB (No Holds Barred) fighting.

The use of the term "anything goes fighting" was one of the contributing factors to the downfall of UFC in the early years. Seen as too violent, many states started to ban the events. Around that time, the already known term "combative sport" or "combat sport" was starting to circulate. I say already known term because it had been used before... it just wasn't all that well known to the public.

Then some ten years after the first UFCs, MMA started to make a comeback... this time it was a safer "sport". The term "combative sport" helped to cement this image... including MMA with other sports such as Thai kickboxing, boxing, wresting, etc.

The Internet and media spread the word to the public like wildfire.

"Combative sport" is a much more defined term these days... as noted by El Medico, some States have adopted the term. Some people even probably believe the term "combative sport" is as old as the Olympics in Ancient Greece, thousands of years ago... it is not. A brilliant marketing campaign is all it is... even if it wasn't intended to be. IMHO.

12. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Had to give credit where credit is due,RW.

13. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

--

I will own up once in a while I will smile on the mat....

I also said this:

Now from time to time, an individual may pull a muscle, tear a ligament, twist an ankle, and so on, and then the grimace of pain and agony may cross their face, but generally it subsides rather quickly, and after 4-6 weeks (could be longer in the case of a broken collar bone, bruised or cracked ribs...) of healing that individual is usually back on the mats and moving on with thier efforts to understand aikido. Some practitioners may return to the mats even sooner, but all efforts are taken to ensure injuries are kept to a minimum and that dojo safety is a constant.

I apologize if I gave the wrong impression that we all go around smiling as if we are attempting to show off the latest handiwork of our dentists...our caps and crowns and white teeth. Or that you must have an ear to ear grin in order to do tenchi nage effectively...or that in order for jujinage to work properly you must laugh at the moment of impact-

We learn from our mistakes, are able to laugh and joke with one another, smile (either sincerely or deceptively) at eachother, and in our environment help eachother to improve so that we may inturn improve. It is by no means a fashion show, or a modeling expo. The energy is good, and positive, and even beginners can take something of value home with them that day.

If I don't train that lower ranking person how to take a proper fall, then they will never be comfortable enough to attack me in ernest, because they are focused on what may or may not come next. Once they are over that hurdle, and they can attack with ernest, and I don't have to worry about that students ability anymore, then I can get back to my own training and dealing with some real, and perhaps even dibilitating energy.

That's all I was trying to imply...

14. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

--
    btw, I once, as a brown belt, was paired up with one of my black belt sempai's and had my leg accidently wrapped up in his hakama while being thrown...I took the fall, my leg did not. In fact my leg made a rather unique sound, something like a sheet of paper being ripped underwater. You can bet I was not smiling then. And that was by accident! I took two more falls, and then hobbled off the mat. I was out for about three weeks, and when I returned, I could not bend that leg and flex it back...all my falls were on one side, with that leg pretty much extended to avoid any additional pain.

15. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

--

It's not another way to say anything, it is still "COMPETITIVE SPORTS," still "CONTACT SPORTS," just like all the other competitive sports AND contact sports that have come before it. There is nothing new, unique, different, or exemplary about it...if there is, then let me know...please!!! I ask for like the fifteenth time!

16. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

--
    Ummm...what does it mean agian? Exactly? Is it anything even remotely like the term "contact sports."

17. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

--
    Really? Again? You are giving credit to state and govt agencies? I will say, it was very thought provoking, however I will have to direct you to my reply to your post which basically stated this:

Government and state agencies have been wrong before too. Politics makes strange bedfellows.

Some other regulations in the state of Texas:

-One must acknowledge a supreme being before being able to hold public office.

-It is illegal to sell one's eye.

-A program has been created in the state that attempts to control the weather.

-When two trains meet each other at a railroad crossing, each shall come to a full stop, and neither shall proceed until the other has gone.

-It is illegal to take more than three sips of beer at a time while standing.

-It is illegal for one to shoot a buffalo from the second story of a hotel.

-A recently passed anticrime law requires criminals to give their victims 24 hours notice, either orally or in writing, and to explain the nature of the crime to be committed.

-The entire Encyclopedia Britannica is banned in Texas because it contains a formula for making beer at home.

And here are some for Delaware:

-“R” rated movies shall not be shown at drive-in theaters.

-It is illegal to fly over any body of water, unless one is carrying sufficient supplies of food and drink.

And in some cities of Deleware:

-On Halloween, children may only “trick-or-treat” from 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM, and if Halloween falls on a Sunday, they must “trick-or-treat” on October 30 during this same time interval.

-One may not whisper in church.

-No person shall pretend to sleep on a bench on the boardwalk.

-Alcohol may not be served in nightclubs if dancing is occurring on the premises at the same time.

18. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

By the way, all, I am really enjoying our discourse. It is very stimulating, and I'm sure, at least on my end, very thought provoking. I am also glad that on some of the other threads we are able to discuss openly our views as well. Thank you for making my first week or so to MAP one that is of benifit!

19. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

How to save $21,500 on your next MMA/UFC event: Don't hold it in the state of Texas, or Delaware.

This agency hereby certifies that the adoption has been reviewed by legal counsel and found to be a valid exercise of the agency’s legal authority.

What? With all of their credentials (those that sit on the board, that have never taken a martial arts class in their lives; just guessing) they couldn't just automatically, and magikally find it to be a valid exercise of the agency's legal authority? They had to actually seek legal counsel? What a joke.

Wouldn't you as a promoter / manager / matchmaker want that money coming into your own pocket? It is pretty clear: in order to increase your profitabilaty, and the money you get to keep in your wallet, don't come to Texas, don't come to Deleware. Yes, some do, but just think what $21,500 means to you...you could pay your fighters more, pay your MDs more, pay the judges more...from what I have seen, $21,500 would go a long way to recruit some extra fighting talent.

20. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned