A stupid question from an ignorant person

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by robin101, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

you realize that the oxford english dictionary was last updated in 1989. can't believe that you're still debating the difference between these terms.

2. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

I think it's simply a failure to realize or deal with the fact that there are words,definitions,etc which are used in professions or other activities which simply don't appear in that usage in dictionaries and other sources.

Now,maybe the following is there somewhere and I just couldn't find it,but---

I just spent a good deal of time first using the word "hound",then "dog" in various ways attempting to find definitions relating to a "blooded hound"(or dog).The only definition I could find was purebred.Not what I was looking for.

I could find nothing as to "blooding a hound","hound blooding","blooded a hound",etc.Same w/using the word dog instead.

Someone can talk to they're blue in the face,or type 'til their fingers bleed,but they aren't going to convince myself or the myriad of others who have blooded our hounds in the field that no such specific action,or no such hounds exist just because a descriptive term or noun relating to this and/or using those words doesn't seem to exist in formal sources.I know these have been in usage in the US for at least a century,I would guess more.

How about---

My understanding from various written sources over the years is that while T'ai Chi ascribes certain technical meanings/actions to the characters/words for p'eng,lu,chi,and an the TC definitions are somewhat offbase/twisted from what the words/characters mean in the language.But in the context of TC those words/characters mean,for want of a better way of putting it,what the body of TC teachings say they mean.An objection to this usage would be meaningless to a practitioner.

If we must get hung up on these things-

There's a Gung Fu forum here on MAP.The characters and meaning for gung fu don't in any way,shape or form relate to CMAs.So regardless what any dictionary may say or how many people the word over use it to refer to CMAs I guess it should be renamed.That,or we can start having discussions in there such as about the cooking gung fu of the hosts of the Chinese cooking shows on TV.Or my gung fu of blooding my hounds.Oh wait,there may be no such thing,even if I've done it.

3. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

--
    The ones I know don't consider themselves special at all...of course all marines think they are special.

This wasn't my job...I am just lucky. And, yes, those are double knots tied in my shoes

Attached Files:

• ME.jpg
      ME.jpg
      File size:
      91.6 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  4. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

--

Ummm...actually the term "contact sports" aready exists. Can't believe you are trying to make it something more than it isn't.

5. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

--

Anyways, hound dog, kind of like "special forces" isn't exactly very specific...check this out for your reference:
    http://www.dogsindepth.com/hound_dog_breeds/hound_dogs.html

6. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

--
    Anyways, since my first postings in this forum, on page 2, were directed towards robin101, the OP...I will post my first three answers to his post that brought us to where we are now:

Post #20
    I'm sure it has already been stated, but aikido in its purest form is non-competitive.

Other than that, MMA/UFC does not allow wrist joint locks.

Post #22
    I gave your question a little more thought: Aikido also trains with weapons from time to time, especially at the higher levels. This comprises a portion of the art. To take away a portion of the art would dilute the art.

Most aikido practitioners are still learning, perfecting, and trying to understand what aikido encompasses so as to make their aikido sound. This holds true at even the high levels of practitioners, hence the reason you have folks practicing aikido 30, 40, 50, 60+ years. Practicing that long, the same art, you really have to enjoy what you do, realize there is still more to do and learn, and have the discipline to keep showing up on the mats day after day for years and years and years and years.

Also, if you look at the aikido practitioners either on youtube, or in your local neighborhood aikido dojo, rec center, or club, you will find that they generally have expressions of joy and elation on their faces, unless that is, they are contemplating the latest aspects of a technique they are trying to perfect. But generally, smiles, laughter, and all around good feelings is what you will find in aikido. Very few practitioners will be able to look mean enough, or do that little head weave bobble action common to the NFL bobble dolls, that seems to comprise much of what is accepted as prime time entertainment, and shown on television/satellite.

Now from time to time, an individual may pull a muscle, tear a ligament, twist an ankle, and so on, and then the grimace of pain and agony may cross their face, but generally it subsides rather quickly, and after 4-6 weeks (could be longer in the case of a broken collar bone, bruised or cracked ribs...) of healing that individual is usually back on the mats and moving on with thier efforts to understand aikido. Some practitioners may return to the mats even sooner, but all efforts are taken to ensure injuries are kept to a minimum and that dojo safety is a constant.

Well, that's all for now. If I think of anything else, I'll be sure to add it. Thanks for such a great question!

Post #23
    On an entirely different note, you don't see many Eagle Scouts or US Army Green Berets in MMA/UFC competition either.

An basically, there you have it...

7. komuso

komuso Valued Member

Hi Izumizu,

right now myself, and no doubt a whole army of other mappers, are trying to equate your description of the joyful expressions of Aikidoka with the many photos we have all seen of o-sensei, who looked positively terrifying most of the time.

Or for that matter with the photos of koyo that I have seen. In his case it may just be that he is from Scotland, and it is always cold there, and full of Scottish people, but my guess is that the seriousness of his practice may be connected to the fact that he is practicing a martial art. And there is sod all that is joyous about someone who is really and truly trying to smash you. The joyful looks you are talking about, in my experience, aren't things you are going to get on the faces of people actually learning anything truly martial, but do turn up on the faces of the smugly self satisfied.

Oh, and nice work with the offhand dismissal of the entire Tomiki (sorry folks I have forgotten your more modern name) system as being an "impure" form of Aikido.

paul

8. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

--

Well, in this case I can only quote the senior members response on the forum. Unfortunately, I had to steal this from another thread, but I am certain it still applies:

Mr. Koyo:
    "if you ever make it to the Makotokai I am certain that you shall enjoy the training. "

The key word being "enjoy."

9. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

The timing body alignment and accuracy of the strikes all come from ken and jo principles.

The ken and the jo are taught to beginners. There is no point at all waiting until you reach black belt then studying the weapons principles which you should have used in your training,

I can easily see who has not trained in these weapons. And ANYONE who is smiling though his training is NOT out of his comfort zone.They need only train for a few minutes in true aikido and they shall be intimidated.

My use of the word enjoy is meant for those who enjoy the challenge and the training out of their comfort zone.

I personally do NOT enjoy the dancing around and grinning I saw at many seminars and classes.

10. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

--
    ye, i know what u mean, and i'm certain you have come to enjoy both the work, the training, and especially those sas bats types u hav crossed paths with...in fact, you are almost smiling in that picture, and that almost is pretty damn frightening.

11. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

--
    Additionally, I think we can all agree he is practicing a martial art, and not a (which does not exist) combat sport, or, as I have introduced, a "martial sport." Which we can go on about ad nauseum.

12. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

I have seen demonstrations where the "aikidoka" are smiling and laughing AND the "attackers" throwing themselves all over the place when being "thrown".

ALL nonsense taught by someone who wants to make money and have large numbers training in his dojo.

I will own up once in a while I will smile on the mat. Like below ..however I don't think Chris is smiling.

Attached Files:

13. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

--
    In addition to the pic I posted earlier, I'll post these for your enjoyment. Yes, because of the level of the practioner, I am helping her. In a couple of these, I am not helping anyone. Hope you like?

me1.JPG
    me2.JPG
    me3.JPG

14. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

Tried to del this pic...oh well. My bad.

Attached Files:

• me4.JPG
      me4.JPG
      File size:
      19.4 KB
      Views:
  15. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

For note guys, most American MMA promotions do allow wrist locks. I can't speak on the UK. The wrist is not a "small joint" as per the rules. In the most common ruleset, "small joint manipulation" is defined as any manipulation of three or less digits. So basically you're just not allowed to pop people's fingers, because it's not really likely to stop anyone in the fight, but it will cause permanent damage if it's happening every class or even every fight.
    Some submission grappling competitions do disallow wristlocks, but not many.

So it's not really much of an excuse, even if you somehow forget the idea that wristlocks aren't the heart of aikido anyway.

EDIT: Also, is it normal for Aikidoka to reach to the ground like that when breakfalling? I find that it makes back breakfalls much softer but I'm reluctant to do it because of the risk of collarbone and shoulder injury. That and every Judoka I've ever seen talk about it tells me you'll immediately die if you do it. (exaggeration, before someone misses that.)

16. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

17. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

Added a lil mo to my post above.

18. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

Also misconception. You may grip the hand, you just can't hook fingers inside the glove so that you use only the glove to grip. Using the glove as a stop to reinforce wrist grips is a fundamental strategy in MMA practice. Happens all the time. The only reason you don't see many wristlocks is because they are hard to finish in a step by step way. You have to catch it in the moment, and that doesn't really mesh with the way a lot of people practice submissions in MMA. The position before submission crowd kinda scoffs at the idea of attacking a joint without first isolating and controlling(Immobilizing is probably a better word) the limb, so it doesn't generally get practiced enough to produce much success. On the feet it's usually going to be a lever into groundwork at best anyway.

19. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

--
    My bad...as I've stated before, I don't watch much tv, and have only seen about 3 or 4 MMA? UFC? fights/ reality tv versions...not even sure what category they would fall under. Yes, however, I will agree with you that the joint lock application is not the end goal...

In anycase, welcome to the thread!

20. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

--
    Taken from wikipedia, not sure, if at all it is reliable:

MMA Fouls
    Fouls
    The following acts are universally considered fouls in the mixed martial arts world:

Headbutting
    Eye gouging
    Hair pulling
    Downward elbows
    Biting
    Fish-hooking
    Attacking the groin
    Strikes to the back of the head and spinal area (see rabbit punch)
    Strikes to, or grabs of the trachea
    Small joint manipulation (control of three or more fingers/toes is necessary)
    Intentionally throwing your opponent out of the ring/cage
    Running out of the ring/cage
    Purposely holding the ring ropes or cage fence
    Grabbing or putting a hand inside the trunks or gloves of the opponent
    Pulling or holding onto an opponent's gloves or trunksKicks and/or knees to the head of a downed opponent. ('Downed' refers to the three point of contact rule: if one knee is down, that constitutes a third point of contact, therefore, that person is downed)