A serious question about a basic yet important technique.

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by Slihn, Aug 27, 2006.

1. Slihn

Slihn New Member

Hello all. I know that this is sound like a silly question but here it is: How do you maximize the potential power behind a jab.I was taught how to throw a basic jab long ago but I can tell that there is no body weight behind it.Ive talked to a few people and they told me to lean into it,but that just feld very akward.In all my other striking techniques I seem to understand how to use my body behind the blow(espeically in lower body techniques such as knees and kicks) but just not the jab.I know that messes up my fight game because many combonations are easier to pull off it you have an effective jab(which I dont),since I do not,I know that I do not have access to all of my potential.I have very powerful kicks, elbows, knees, hooks, and crosses, but its hard to lead with power attacks,so (unless I lead with low kicks) it almost always forces my into a counter-attack stragety.Thats ok sometimes,but it is always better to take the lead and control the battle.

Any advice?

2. [T][K][D]

[T][K][D] Valued Member

try not tensing up before you throw the punch...Tense more in between the throw and the actual impact. Other than technique, I would say hit heavy bags again and again and again. You're right about jabs involving less body weight, but you should still be turning your shoulders a little for that force. I dont do boxing of any sort so you probably might have to listen to others more intently, but from why I learnt in TKD, jabs are more of a an opening attack which leads to the big hits.

3. Another Muay Thai Guy

Another Muay Thai Guy Valued member

You still have to twist into the punch to get more power even though it is a straight shot. Just like all punches, you get your power from the ground up; pivot on the ball of your lead foot, turning the foot slightly inwards, and allow your hips to twist in the same direction - you should end up with your jabbing arm's shoulder covering your chin at impact. It's difficult to explain, someone like Slipthejab or Mai Tai will probably be able to help more, but you really need to be shown in person by your instructor to fully explain the mechanics of it all.

4. Khun Kao

Khun Kao Valued Member

You step as you jab, which is how you get your body behind your punch.

A "slight" forwards lean adds extra acceleration.

Rotating into the punch, too.

Its hard to combine all three elements. I find that to generate power behind your Jab, you either step & rotate... or step & lean

5. duderanch182

duderanch182 Bored Thaiboxer

When I throw a jab I bring the shoulder back slightly (don't want toi do it too much as it will make it obvious the jab is coming ) and make sure you lean in with the punch. Do not forget use your hips and pivot your feet whike throwing your jab.

Try practising this and the best way I find is either get someone to hold the pads or do this on a bag, practise the technique slowly remember to do everything right and once you feel this is ok practise throwing it a little quicker and harder and it should click all together.

But some people don't beleive in having a hard jab as they prefer to use it to get range and slowly do damage and this is ok as we are all diferent and need to figure out what works best for you.

6. sportmuaythai

sportmuaythai Valued Member

I concur. :)

7. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

jabs are a very ineffective scoring technique in modern muay thai,working on you power side would probably give you more sucess,with the jab you are risking geting hit with low kicks inside and out and body kicks,the jab of course is great for boxing :)