a quick survey

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by shootodog, Mar 11, 2004.

1. shootodog

shootodog restless native

hey!

in some styles/ systems/ methodologies in fma, kuya is a term reserved for senior students (or students more senior than you).

(note for non- tagalog speakers: kuya = big/ older brother)
    (note2: manong is ilokano for kuya)

2. Airyu

Airyu Valued Member

Hello,

I'm 39 years old.
    Been practicing FMA for ~20 years
    Been practicing the MA's for ~29 years

Train Hard it is the Way!
    Guro Steve L.

www.Sayoc.com
    www.Bujinkandojo.net

3. Gryphon Hall

Gryphon Hall Feeling Scholler

Manong po

The term "kuya" and "manong", furthermore, is more closely related in meaning with "sempai" than the usual English equivalent upperclassman.

By the way, Manong Shootodog, you do know that I was joking, right? :D

Last edited: Mar 16, 2004
  4. shootodog

shootodog restless native

hehehe... of course!

quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

shhhh! the brother teacher(s) are here!

5. Gryphon Hall

Gryphon Hall Feeling Scholler

Sorry, off-topic

Nice one! It is sooo tempting to say something like "I do!" with attitude, but I don't have the skills to back that one, so I'll just say "He-he, ... someone else [pipsqueek voice]?"

[Had to find what the question meant, mind you, since I don't really know any latin; but when I did, I got reminded of a line in a defunct Sci-Fi show called "Space Above and Beyond". In it, a special bunch of artificial humans were being trained to be the best at killing and all that, you know, special forces. One of them was an especially skilled but introspective and philosophical dude. He was watching some birds while the instructor was going "We are watching you." He then asks, "Who watches the birds?" to which instructor replies "I do." Then the student asks "Who watches you?"

Needless to say, such independent thinking was unacceptable, so they tried to have him killed. But he kills them first then espcapes.

Yeah, off-topic. But that was a neat quote: quis custodiet ipsos custodes?.]

6. Kwan Jang

Kwan Jang Valued Member

-I'm 39 years old and have been in the martial arts since the age of six and the FMA since I was 16. I have trained in and taught the Innayan system and serrata systems of escrima as well as modern arnis.

7. FMA_Demon

FMA_Demon New Member

magandang araw sa inyong llahat

I am 34 years old
    I practice FMA (all my life) since 12 years old.
    I only cross train in other martial arts styles whenever there's a need to understand a certain movement and to prove if it's effective or not.
    I am not a Guro nor a senior student of any well known master.
    Although I am serving one true Martial Arts master,
    I am just a regular student who is dedicated to the Filipino Fighting System and it's rich History.
    I will share whatever I can share if it will help my fellow practitioners.

8. punong_guro

punong_guro New Member

i am 37 and have been active in fma since i was 21-22 and have been in martial arts since i was about 10 dad was a self defence instructor for the u.s. army so i got inducted early i guess lol

Last edited: Apr 15, 2004
  9. Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons Valued Member

I am 37.

I have been training in FMA's for just over 18 years now.

10. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

I'm 18, I've been training in CLF for almost a year, in Doce Pares Escrima for about 10 months.

11. Mandirigma

Mandirigma New Member

quick survey

Hi Folks
    I just turned 37.DAMMIT!!Been in the martial arts since 14, training in FMA since i was 25.Training in Silat for a few years now....

12. Airyu

Airyu Valued Member

Hello Everyone,

I am 39 years old
    Started MA training when I was 10
    Started FMA training between 1978 -1980

Gumagalang
    Guro Steve L.

www.Bujinkandojo.net

13. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

33 years old

19 years in martial arts

14 years in FMA (Doce Pares and Inosanto)

14. LastFMArnisador

LastFMArnisador New Member

wassup, Fellow FMA'ers ?

My Age = 22

spent 2 years training in Traditional Shotokan Karate.

Now training Doce Pares Eskirma and Serak Silat for 1 year. ( my teach teaches silat and Arnis together.)

15. ptkali778

ptkali778 Valued Member

im 27 been doing ma for bout 8 years now, spent 6 years hopping form one style to another...2 years kali/arnis and 1 year silat

16. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

I'm 43 on August 11th, Training in FMA for well over 20 year, Boxed for 5 years, JKD for 11 years, TKD in my younger days and wrestling for 15+ years, also done British MA in my very young years, fought in gangs at that time too, Married an English Girl of Irish decent in the Philippines with the wedding arranged by GM Dionisio Canete with several GM's at the wedding and after all that I am still learning each and every day.

And who said the FMA can't unite, just take a look at this forum.

Mabuhay

Pat O'Malley

17. Datu Puti

Datu Puti New Member

39 years old, Modern Arnis for 20 years, Balintawak for 4 years. :Alien:

18. E-Rocker

E-Rocker Valued Member

I'm 26 and have been training FMA for roughly one year.

19. danceofdeath

danceofdeath Yaw-Yan PASAY

well im 20, been training FMA since 5. took up muay thai and taekwondo along the way. im now a Yaw-Yan. =P

20. Juego Todo

Juego Todo Stay thirsty, my friends.

1) 34 (and a half);

2) circa 1975 (give or take a year).