A neat rant about Islam.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Strafio, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Strafio

Strafio Trying again...

I don't have a thing against Islam in general - I'm certain that the majority of Muslims live a peaceful religion. Nevertheless, there are also a large amount of factions who are blatant Nazis who seem to determined to conquer us all and destroy everything we value.

The Islamist is a book by Ed Hussain, a peaceful Muslim who flirted with fundamentalism and militancy in his youth. The book exposes the many strands of 'political Islam' - some being mostly 'peaceful', planning to take over the country through political process (but still having Nazi ideals - much like the BNP) with others planning to bring the country to it's knees with direct attacks and terrorism. It also makes a great distinction between 'spiritual Islam' and 'political Islam'.

In the meantime, [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nI5WoXpmPiM&eurl=]here's a great rant about political Islam in Europe.[/ame]
    I think that we Europeans as a whole really need to wake up.
    I know that 'political Islam' with it's Sha'ria law will never take over, but the longer we let it go unchecked the more difficult it will be to deal with and we've got other problems to be solving like poverty and the environment...

2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Large amount in comparison to what or who? :confused:
    In comparison to moderate or conservative muslims? :confused:

What constitutes 'large amount' in your opinion? :confused:

3. Capt Ann

Capt Ann Valued Member

Not sure, but I would consider the roughly 10% of all Muslims who consider themselves to be Wahabist would constitute a 'large amount'.

BTW, I thought Pat's rant was informed, well-articulated, and presented a good mix of humor, even given the fact he obviously has no love for Christians or Christianity, either.

4. Strafio

Strafio Trying again...

A large amount compared to other religions, I was thinking.
    Even though Christianity has a large amount of fundamentalists, it's an minority of those fundamentalists who have political aspirations to dominate. Such extremism seems to be thriving within Islam. Usually you can brush such minorities under the rug and deal with them as singular phenomenon but there seems to be a widespread tendency within Islam for these kind of groups to sprout.

I think that the book I linked to is good as it's written by a Muslim himself, who isn't anti-Islam, anti-spiritual or anti-religion, he promotes 'real' Islam as a peaceful way of life. At the same time, he has experienced the extremism in secular England where this sort of thing just shouldn't be happening. He's been to Islamic countries and seen how Islamic politicians run Islamic states. I don't think that a view could be more impartial and informed.

5. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Shame it's just the ones with the ear of the US President...

Mitch

6. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Well informed and well articulated? I've only managed the first 10 seconds so far and it's utter nonsense!

Mitch

Edit: OK, now I've looked at his other stuff and it's not really intended as serious commentary, just for comedic purposes. Take it as such and it's fine.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2007
  7. warriorofanart

warriorofanart Valued Member

Islam is a very complicated religion, a perfect example would be Iraq.

Iraq which was liberated, (I know alot say that we're there for oil etc. but when Iraq was freed from the iron grip that the Dictator Saddam had it was a very great "blessing" on Iraq, no matter what erroneous-Islamic and terrorist influenced propaganda say), is still in a very bloody struggle for power by many factions vying to take control, and even though they are many other factors, religion is one of the major ones.

Sunni and Shi'a leaders, and people, don't want either to have power, and it's not majorly effect politically, but religiously. As to why you don't have too look very far back in history, especially for iraq.

Saddam Mass murdered countless Shi'a, Turks, and many others for obviously their religion and race Respectively. But looking at the religious reasons most Shi'a wouldn't want another Sunni leader so they don't that tragedy to occur again. While Sunnies don't want a Shi'a leader because of the many things going on right now, and how their not able to restore peace to iraq (but to how anyone can bring peace to iraq in its current state is beyond me).

To wrap and add this up...whew :)...Islam has its unfortune share of bad history due to the acts of several very bad individuals, and it shouldn't be judged because of that, but to what it stands for (the real reasons), and not for, like I said, erroneous-Islamic and terrorist influenced propaganda.

Hopefully through acts of better individuals in the Islamic population, people will view Islam as to how it really is, NOT as a religion that wants to convert, kill, etc. all the other religions and people, to which I say IS VERY WRONG, and NOT for what Islam stands for.

8. Strafio

Strafio Trying again...

Not really... he puts it across with irony but the issues are real.
    Perhaps you're not aware of what's going on in Europe.
    You surely heard of the rioting that happened because someone dared to draw a picture of the prophet. A film-maker was murdered for criticising Islam and making a film that exposes the cruelty that Islamic states are imposing on women. The woman who collaborated with him had to flee to America to avoid being murdered herself.
    Criticisers of Islam are commonly being found themselves flooded with death threats.

Like I say, we're all conscious how it can be easy to have prejudices against a 'race'. Especially when it's a media bandwagon. At the same time, if these things are happening, perhaps it would be better to look into it and be aware of them rather than to close your eyes and assume the best?

9. warriorofanart

warriorofanart Valued Member

I don't know if it was just picture of the prophet, more like very insulting drawings, and such. Who would stand quiet while their beliefs and religious figureheads are (Not criticised) Insulted to the deepest extreme.

I completely disapprove of how some of the Islamic people responded, but some talk it out diplomatically, and it came to a much better understandings than riots and other wrong approches would ever come too.

Criticism is great it shows deep insights (most of the time :rolleyes: ) and both sides solve and understands things better, but there is a huge difference between criticism and insult.

10. slipthejab

Standing quiet and murdering people are two very different things. :rolleyes:

11. Strafio

Strafio Trying again...

Fair point. They picture did put a bomb under his turban.
    Then again, Jesus and other religious figures are fair game for making fun of.
    While Christians might vocally disapprove of such actions, they wouldn't go bezerk and start with the crazed death threats on all of western civilisation!

Indeed. I'm not criticising all Islam here, just pointing out that extremist groups are at large and need seeing to.

Fair enough that the cartoon could be seen as mildly insulting, but many of the people who get death threats aren't being insulting at all. Just honest criticism as they defend their values and what is right. I think that goes to show that the only 'appeasement' many of these groups will accept is complete submission to their 'ideal Islamic state'.

Incidently, I'm not sure any two political-Islamists will ever agree on what the ideal Islamic state will be like, but that doesn't stop them all agreeing that there needs to be one of some sort! :D

12. slipthejab

LOL! :D

Because extremist muslim groups never make the media and have been off the radar for years. :rolleyes:

13. LJoll

LJoll Valued Member

I'm sorry, but it was the biggest over reaction imaginable. Over a hundred people died. Jihads were being called left, right and centre, on Denmark, any countries near them and any that sounded a bit like them . I can take a bit of extremism, but at least be geographically accurate.

14. Topher

Topher allo!

Most people who disagreed didn’t even see the cartoons, just as most people against The Satanic Verses never read the book. It was merely the idea of Mohammed being represented that that trigged their response. In fact, when the cartoons were published there was no response, it was Muslims who released fake versions which caused the furore.

15. Verx

Verx "Darkness Approaches"

I take it that you missed the many peaceful protests....

16. Verx

Kinda like a certain war....

(Sorry I couldn't resist :p )

Meh, anger makes people blind. And who exactly was calling these "Jihads"? I'm pretty sure it some so and so with too much airtime...

17. LJoll

LJoll Valued Member

I didn't want us to go to war with Iraq. This is exactly the kind of us vs. them thing that is a big part of the problem.

Meh? Was all this worth it? Human Costs. This isn't revenge, it's just being a lunatic.

18. Verx

Apologises for using the word "meh". What I meant was there are people out there that go crazy. If they knew about the life of the Prophet they would know people did distort his reputation and the response was not violence but proving all accusations wrong by action and using verbal opposition.

19. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

some muslims think christians are stupid.

some christians think muslims are stupid.

i think they are all stupid :p

20. Verx

Who let H into the religion section? :confused: :D