A Lock

Discussion in 'Women's Self Defence' started by KungFuGrrrl, Jun 1, 2006.

1. KungFuGrrrl

KungFuGrrrl Valued Member

Hi,

well I think I found a unique weapon. Yesterday I went to pay a bill at a storage facility......9:30 am

The girl working was very small and about 20 yrs old..... we were doing business when this large man (about 6'0 240 lbs) very sturdy looking a bit of a belly, but neck like a pit bull......

Started yelling at her through the employee door (glass door) she told him she cant open that door....he began hitting the glass with both arms like trying to break it..... and calling her Bi***

So.... He came to the front counter.....screaming and telling her she needs to go out back and look at his lock on his storage door. I told her do NOT go back there.... (a woman was recently gang raped and beat with teeth knocked out at one of these places, it was on the news).........

I hvnt been able to practise as just recovered from 2 surgeries and was frightened , called my boyfriend who could hear the man screaming and threatenening to knock her teeth out.... boyfriend said "DONT FORGET YOUR KUNG FU!" but this guy is HUGE...... "GET INTO YOUR MARTIAL ART MODE NOW"

so I took off my shoes rolled up my jeans pant legs..... all the while the bad guy is about to jump over the counter slamming his forearms on it each time getting closer.......the girl FINALLY called the cops which really upset him......

Meanwhile he is paying NO attention to me which was good..... so I started looking at LOCKS...... picked one up and opend the package.... I went behind the counter with the girl.... (the guys focus still on her)

I knew it would be only me and him as she was very shaken and a girly girl ....

I opened the lock and turned the loop part around so it fit over my knuckles and the base of the lock in my hand and i held on tight!

The plan was for me to wait till he was coming over the counter and BLAM! crack him in the jaw over and over and over ........

Luckily he left after the cops were on their way......

I stayed withher for a while....... What do you think about my idea? keep in mind I didnt have much time to analyze the situation........

and my Mandarin class Tuesday we went over KF moves and the guys were talking about if a guy has strong neck muscles dont go for the neck and I was afraid to go for the throat in case I missed!..........

What a WILD morning for me yesterday!

Give me feedback!

have to edit here...... I intended to use the lock in a hammerhand strike, not as brass knuckles..... I put the loop over my knuckles to help hold in place and so it would not drop out of my hand easily.
    THANK YOU GUYS!

KFG

Last edited: Jun 1, 2006
  2. KageAkuma

KageAkuma Valued Member

Well, first thing you should've done was called the cops. Not your boyfriend.

Overall I think the lock idea was good, but you would've killed your hands if you had actually used it.

Personally if I was in that situation and forced to defend myself, I'd look for any advantage. I don't think I would've done that with the lock though, because I'd be afraid of screwing up my hand. Instead, I would've gone with soft tissue striking. Even though he's big, you can't develop muscles in the eyes. Or his nuts.

So, what would I have done? Grabbed that lock, chucked it at his face and hoped to god I hit him, and then gone in with soft tissue striking.

Overall good work though.

3. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Ok then - its an improvised knuckleduster, and depending on the local law an improvised version of an illegal weapon may be as bad as using the actual one (knuckledusters are illegal in the UK, dunno about LA).

Advice - its always good to get to the point quickly in this forum ;)

4. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

well, that certainly depends ;)

I moved this thread over to the WSD forum because I believe although you question the validity of a lock being a weapon, your account (with plenty of details ;) ) ... may help women (& girly girls) in a similar situation :)

5. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I would hazard a guess that the law would be on your side if you grab a nearby object to slug some idiot who's threatening a small girl.

You weren't carrying an item with the intent of using it as a weapon and the circumstances gave you genuine cause to believe the girl's safety was being compromised.

6. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

I think the best way to use a lock as a weapon would be to tie it to the end of a rope or drop it into a sock.

7. KungFuGrrrl

UHHHH didnt have time to locate a rope and did not have socks on and that would have drawn his attention to me.
    It was also a VERY closed in area..(enough room for maybe 3 peopl in entire *office* except behind the counter where I quickly moved....

..I am afraid that if I swung a lock on a rope or in a sock he could have caught it or blocked it ... do you think so?

I was trying to be inconspicuous....... as he was yelling about knocking her teeth out and meant it. and was angry because she would not stop working with me to handle his *problem*

Thanks for the input.

KFG

8. philp

philp New Member

You probably wouldn't have done much except broken your fingers like that, a key between your two striking fingers in a fist would be a better option. Throwing the lock hard at his face would do the trick ;)

Well done for thinking on your feet though. Glad it turned out OK.

9. KungFuGrrrl

I didnt clarify my intent which was to hit him with the base of the lock not the knuckles...... I was holding it in my hand to use like a hammerhand strike.

I did not call the cops as that would have put his attn on me, she was supposed to call them (and did)and I had never been to that place before so didnt know the address...cops like the address &description...... was doing favor for bf by paying a bill.......

If the guys attn was on me, then I lose the element of surprise.

10. KungFuGrrrl

thanks, sorry didnt clarify:

ws planning to use lock in a hammerhand strike not a s brass knuckles.....put the loop over knuckles to hold lock in place.

11. KungFuGrrrl

Oh, what about if I threw the weaopn then I have no weapon! and he does.. (not that he needed it) but I certainly could not have taken him without some type of weapon and the element of surprise. I dunno, just really like getting feedback THANKS!

12. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

I think what you did would have worked well if you had had to start swinging.

I think it's possible he could catch a lock in a sock, but he probably wouldn't realize what he was facing untill you hit him in the face with it. Plus, if he caught the lock, you could just kick him in the jimmy as soon as the lock hits his hand. It would hurt like a mofo to catch a lock in a sock.

13. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

First off I want to say way to keep your head! Those who think in critical situations usually come out ahead. The lock idea was wonderful. Maybe a punch would have ended with a broken finger. An open handed slap may have had the same result. Doesn't matter. What matters is you kept your head, did not escalate a situation, just stepped in to protect someone else. I agree that a call to the police would have been a good choice but the call to your b/f did get your head into combat mode. Good job and way to go! Study what you could have done differently and this is a great forum to ask that question! :D

14. philp

philp New Member

My bad, didn't think about that. That would probably be pretty effective, and nasty :D

15. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

whole new meaning to putting a "lock " on someone !!!!!!! :D

best result all round was the fact the police were called and no need to resort to locking him up.

well done on not walking away or burying your head in the sand as a lot of people tend to these days ..

Smurf

16. KungFuGrrrl

Thank you! :D

I also showed her what I had planned (for her own use, as she is there all alone all day into the night) I figured while she is opening storages she can put the loop of the lock into her jeans pocket for easy access..... and the lock in hand is pretty inconspicuous.

I also gave her info on a good KF teacher. Told her I feel that is better then those quick courses as you really get that muscle memory ......

She said they wont get a security guy! can you believe that! it is a bad area and a HUGE business.....

I gave advice to her ...so I was hoping you guys wouldnt poo poo the idea!

17. KungFuGrrrl

LOL THAT sounds like the beginning of a adult Dr Suess story...
    The lock in the sock.......

KFG
    LMAO

18. karate princess

karate princess Savvy??

hye, thats actually a great idea, never would have thought of it

19. KungFuGrrrl

The weapon or the story "The Lock In The Sock"?

ROFLMAO

20. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

Using a rope, chain, sock, whatever is a good way to turn a lock into a weapon and it's very hard to block as most flexible weapons are, however, it takes more skill to use. If you have some experience with nunchaku or similar weapons it's a great idea.