A journey begins

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by Shade, Jan 20, 2004.

1. Shade

Shade New Member

Hi everyone,

I just thought I would post to say that I will be going to my first Tai Chi class this weekend, and am very excited about it.

That's it :)

2. Syd

Syd 1/2 Dan in Origami

Great news my friend; so who did you decide to go and see afterall? ;)

3. Shade

Shade New Member

Well you know after much research and deliberation, I found this guy down at the dry cleaners who used to work in a chinese laundry and a friend of his uncle's actually once walked down the same street that the brother's dog's cousin's aunt said Ying Ping Wang who was at school with Yang Sua-chung lived in so the lineage is good :D

No seriously, I am going to see Paul Brecher of course.

Thanks for the advice by the way. Oh and I pinged a couple of emails at Erle Montaigue too.....what a really nice guy he is :)

4. Syd

Syd 1/2 Dan in Origami

Great to hear, best of luck and let us know how the first sessions treats you.

:)

5. hwardo

hwardo Drunken Monkey

Good luck and have fun!

6. Shade

Shade New Member

Thanks guys.

I can't wait

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

7. nzric

nzric on lookout for bad guys

Tell Paul we're keeping up with it all in Australia (even though Erle's gone off to Wales). Paul's a genuine guy - a bit evangelical at times but hey, there's no doubt the guy loves his taiji!!

8. Shade

Shade New Member

I will do that my friend :)

9. wayofthedragon

wayofthedragon The Defender

It's always good to hear good new such as this:cry:
    Good luck and train hard my friend:D

10. Shade

Shade New Member

Well not long now :)

Off to my class in the morning and am very excited.

One of my brothers went to a Tai Chi class near him in Milton Keynes on Wednesday night and tells me it was fantastic. He says he felt so relaxed afterwards, more than he has done in years.

11. Shade

Shade New Member

Well, I had my first lesson today.

I can honestly say without any hesitation that it was THE most fantastic hour and a half EVER (bar certain moments with my wife of course ;) )

My head/body/mind are buzzing with excitement and anticipation for my next lesson.

Near the end of the lesson my hands felt very warm, and my fingers felt strange (like they were larger than normal if that makes any sense).

I did a little bit of single push hands and learned some VERY good lessons from this alone.

Paul Brecher is such a nice guy, and watching him demonstrating is amazing. I was standing there thinking 'Man, if he's that good, what must Erle be like?'. My mind can only boggle!

Suffice to say I am hooked already after just one lesson.

:)

Late addition......I forgot to say a massive THANKS to everyone here who has encouraged me over the last few weeks, and to everyone who has shared information and advice :)

Enormous thanks to Syd, nzric, zun, moondog. Probably a couple of others whose names escape me (please forgive me).

Last edited: Jan 25, 2004
  12. Syd

Syd 1/2 Dan in Origami

Shade,

Thats great to hear man, your lucky also because not everybody feels the Qi or has sensation on their first lesson. Infact it takes some people quite a while to find the correct alignment and combination of breathing skills. Looks like you are well on your way! ;)

Best, Syd

13. Shade

Shade New Member

hwardo and wayofthedragon to be added to the above :)

How could i forget you guys? Cheers.

14. nzric

nzric on lookout for bad guys

Shade - great to see you had a good time. There is so much more to check out but I'm sure you'll learn it soon. Paul can really put you on the right track and he's a great teacher (not much ego there, he just deeply believes in the art).

Excellent - good on ya

15. Shade

Shade New Member

Well I don't know :eek:

Practising at home, I am getting really strong tingling sensations even in my forearms, and at one point today it was like feeling all the little bones in my hands (as if they were moving or something - I can''t explain what I mean).

Am i going mad?

Another sensation that is really strong is this (and this is the only way I can think of describing it) like holding a foam football in each hand, but not being able to feel the foam itself, just aware of the ball.

Also, the warm feeling in my hands is definitely there.

16. Syd

Syd 1/2 Dan in Origami

Shade,

It's all good my freind as Qi manifests itself whether you feel it or not. You are probably enountering various activations and it's all very, very normal.

17. Shade

Shade New Member

Syd, ok cool :)

I think I dwelt on your comment too much that someone at my stage wouldn't normally get to experience this yet, and I suddenly found myself feeling tremendous sensations that in turn made me wonder if I was subconsciously creating them myself.

I don't think I was.