A Good Place to Train in the Wild

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Socrastein, May 7, 2005.

1. Socrastein

Socrastein The Boxing Philosopher

Does anyone on MAP know of ANYWHERE where one can live alone, unbothered, in the wild these days? I am looking for a place that is of course separated from society and people by at least a few miles, a place that is not visited by hikers or hunters or anything like that, and a place that is suitable for wilderness living (As in, don't give a response like "The Sahara is big and uninhabited" because that's not a very viable option). Harsh winters that require an advanced shelter to survive are out of the question. I would like to hear about a place with useable trees (For firewood, tools, etc.) edible and abundant wildlife (Deer, rabbits, squirrels, etc.) as well as fresh water (Creek, river, lake, etc.).

I plan to leave society and live in such a place to train and exercise for anywhere from a few years to the rest of my life, depending on how I take to it. I have found a couple places, but it is incredibly hard to just go google "Places to live in the wild" or something similiar - the topic is just not one that is easy to find information on, so I thought it would be good to talk to people all over the world and bank on the chance that SOMEONE either knows of, or has seen personally, a place where one can live and train in the wild alone and unbothered.

*Mods, I realize that the connection to MA can be seen as sketchy, but I fear that if this thread is moved to Off-topic it will hardly be seen at all, and I will lose the necessary audience required for increasing my chances of hearing suggestions of above mentioned areas*

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Hope you find somewhere REAL soon :D

The obvious but most expensive solution is going to be buying a big chunk of land. Other than that I think you're going to run into problems if you just set up camp on someone else's.

3. rtkd-badger

rtkd-badger Fundimentaly Manipulated

If I knew of such a place do you think I would tell you? No offence or anything but having 6 children aged 23, 21, 19, 16, 7, & last of all, 4.
    If I knew of such a place, and I told you, I would have to kill you.

4. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

I really doubt you are going to find a big enough place like that which isnt already owned. unless you go to darkest peru or something.

5. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

I met a guy in Canada who went and lived in like a hut with a tower attached in the middle of some forest in Canada for about 3 or 4 months. Apparently there are quite a few such places where you get paid to stay for a few months and basically your job is just to watch out for forest fires. I think people only stay for a few months at a time but it might be worth looking into as most people who claim that they are going to live in seclusion for years have never went longer than a couple of days without actually talking to someone...

Last edited: May 7, 2005
  6. rtkd-badger

Ikken: Your av is looking sort of colorless, you feeling ok? You look pale. :D

7. Darkclownxx

Darkclownxx Valued Member

i would love to live in the wild praticing my art its one of my life goals but i agree with badger you wont get many answers as people dont want other people knowing there little peice of heaven is..

meh lol

8. Darkclownxx

Darkclownxx Valued Member

i would love to do that! :love:

9. mattnz

mattnz Die or get rich tryin'!

Haha! South Island, New Zealand. I'm pretty sure noone lives there! :D Or even Stewart Island, for the really wild. The further south you go, the more extreme it gets!

Regards, Matt

10. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

It is a pretty appealing idea sometimes. But how are you going to perfect your art in the absence of other people? To my mind, you kinda need other people. Martial arts are about relationships, in my opinion.

But out of respect for your basic question, lemme ask this instead: Do you have the basic skills required to survive? Hunting, fishing, shelter, etc? Personally, I'd be doomed without access to readily prepared food.

Stuart

11. medi

medi Sadly Passed Away - RIP

Don't let the door hit you on the way out

12. HearWa

HearWa Ow, that hurt...

Wildlife protectors spend alot of time by themselves in the woods. Get a job taking care of some monkeys or something. Problem is you'd be hard pressed to find a monkey who's willing to spar/roll with you without biting or clawing. :)

13. leeless

leeless Handshaker extraordinaire

And "Wildlife protectors" are suppossed to protect wildlife, not eat them and chop down trees.

14. rtkd-badger

Heres one, Go to the mouth of a cave that is inhabited by a large bear.
    "KIAP" as loud as you can and prepare yourself for your first lesson. :D

15. AZeitung

AZeitung The power of Grayskull

Why not just go to college and get yourself a nice job?

16. Socrastein

To what end?

17. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

to not living with your parents for one

18. AZeitung

AZeitung The power of Grayskull

Having money and nice things, for another.

19. Socrastein

Well, I'm not bringing my parents to the wild, and I figured AZ meant his question as in "Why not go to college" instead. So parents are completely irrelevent Ikken.

As for money and nice things, I ask again to what end?

20. HearWa

HearWa Ow, that hurt...

Ooops, I forgot about that little tidbit of information. :p Thing is he'd have a paying job and a residence given to him for the 1-2 year periods that he'd spend in the woods so he wouldn't have to resort to that.

Another thing you can do, Socrastein, is join the militia for a bit. I'm going to basic training this summer and will be spending an entire month in the woods. This may not be ideal for what you're looking for but I'm just trying to be realistic. The militia seems to be very conductive to a martial arts liftstyle with the physical demands and if you choose to make a career of it you have great benefits and can retire early. You can also get your education during it and have a choice between many great jobs.

I don't know why I'm posting this. You seem a bit frustrated with life right now is all.