A few questions

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Wilson, Feb 18, 2006.

1. Wilson

Wilson Valued Member

Hey all, this is my first aikido post.

alright, there a few things i would like to know abuot aikido.

is that true? ^

-is it possible to win a fight using aikido with out submitting them? if so then how?

-also can somone decribe a Real life fight using Aikido. exmple "somone swings at the aikido person and then grabs there wrist and does somthing to it" somthing like that.

2. Wilson

Wilson Valued Member

also i would really like to show people whos boss ( beat the crap out of them). now im not saying that im going to go looking for fights, but if a fight does occur than i would like to show him to pick his fights better.

is aikido for me?

3. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

No, Aikido is going to be more for self-development. You want to fight, I say look into boxing or kickboxing at a local gym and put up or shut up. :eek:

If you are interested in learning what martial arts has to offer, then Aikido or any number of other martial arts are great suggestions, IMO.

4. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Yes.

What does "win" mean? What does "submitting" mean?

http://martialartsplanet.com/forums/showpost.php?p=773771&postcount=11

5. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Yes it's true. Will you be able to learn those techniques well enough to apply them with such confidence? That's another storey only time spent training can tell.

I'm starting to think you've been watching too much WWF. Most "real" fights end without either person submitting. Normally they are seperated by their mates who are only marginally less intoxicated than they are. People don't tap-out in real fights.

I trust this will be sufficiant. It's not my storey though. It was posted by another member some time ago. I found it using the search function.

6. Wilson

Wilson Valued Member

good story, and thanks for all the information.
    i would love for you to tell your training story, i would really like to hear it

and by submission i saw some videos in video google where the aikido person would get the attacker on the floor and twist there arm, and then the the aikido person would let the attacker up. since it was only training, i thought maybe you were suppose to twist there arm until you broke it. or they started to cry histarically.

7. Demianu27

Demianu27 New Member

Ending the fight doesn't mean winning it. Aikido in real life is used for getting OUT of bad situations, basically throwing your attacker to the ground or off balance so you can get away.

Go all the way through with the movements and break their limbs off or pull them out of their sockets. But I wouldn't, I would just show that person and everyone around that I could break off their limbs and then stop.

Yeah; it wouldn't be a fight. It would be someone getting thrown to the ground, getting angry, getting thrown to the ground again, over and over until someone makes them stop.

8. Wilson

Wilson Valued Member

thanks

9. Wilson

Wilson Valued Member

lol that made me laugh

10. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

The immobalisations in Aikido could be use to pin someone down or break bones if need be. However if you're being attacked for real as in being mugged, then there will probably be more than one attacker. In that situation you don't really have time to waste pinning someone down. You have to go deal with his buddy.

11. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

In these circumstances osae waza very easily becomes oyo waza, a joint lock simply becomes a joint break/dislocation.

12. Mike_101

Mike_101 New Member

Is it possible to end a fight in a few seconds. Certainly so.
    As has been mentioned, aikido immobolizations can easily become breaks.
    Even the throws can be very dangerous when preformed on someone who does not know how to breakfall and lands on a hard surface.

Example of a real life "fight":

Someone got punched. (didn't see it coming)
    Someone punched back.
    The other person tried to punch again.
    Someone caught him off guard, and preformed the worst (first part) of irimi nage ura (entering throw) he ever did. Pushing him into the ground. The other person did not wish to fight anymore, they walked away.

Someone was so glad nobody got hurt, and that the police did not need to be involved.

13. Wilson

Wilson Valued Member

good example, i like the part were the police did not need to be involved

14. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

However if it's a submission you're looking for which is what Wilson mentioned, then idealy you want the other guy to submit before something breaks. Otherwise the submission becomes pointless.

15. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

As consistent with the Continuum of Force, the application of a technique should be reasonable for the situation. Immobilizations and pins should be considered a lesser level of force compared to breaks and chokes/strangulations, etc.

However, the continuum of force is not just escalation of force as needed but also de-escalation of force as needed. One, IMHO, should not always think in terms of escalation of force. I feel this is one-dimensional thinking.

Escalation works with weapons, a gun or knife is considered a more lethal level of force than say pepper spray. In regards to weapons, it is hard to de-escalate from a gun to something less lethal once the gun is drawn and the fight continues; therefore, it is better to have less lethal options available before it gets to lethal force.

This is the reverse of how martial arts work, however. Martial artists in regard to unarmed combat, start with the potential for maximum force and through use of control and awareness of context, CHOOSE to use a lesser amount of force to accomplish the job.

For instance, I could throw someone intending for them to land on their head, but I control the technique to have them land in a safer manner instead. If I actually started the throw with the intention of landing the opponent on his back, it would mess up the technique because part of throwing someone is to get the majority of that person's weight unbalanced in ONE direction so that they fall. To start this throw, it is much easier to move their head and their body will FOLLOW, rather than try to move their entire body all at once. So I start by getting their head to fall to the ground.

IMHO, don't look for a submission, first go for the break and use control to lessen the force into a submission as needed.

If someone goes for the submission first, IME, they may be out of position to actually complete the break. By going for the break first, you can still submit, but if you should have to break, you will have the proper position/leverage/etc. to actually complete the break as necessary.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2006
  16. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

I would actually agree with this. When watching other students perfom techniques I've noticed they are often too eager to get to the immobalisation at the end, leaving them in the wrong position to apply the immobalisation properly.