A few questions for the glasgow boys n girls

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by cjamieson, Oct 17, 2007.

1. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Yes that is Noro sensei in the "hut" in chigwell. That is where aikido first started in Britain. Nakazono, Tamura, Tada used to visit invited by Kenshiro Abe who was the first to introduce aikido. Having been there I tend to be a bit of an embarassment to those who would rewrite the history of aikido. Noro shihan left because of politics and as you say created his own art ki no michi.Abe shihan returned to japan I think he was involved in judo becoming an olympic sport and he personaly asked O Sensei to send a teacher here to establish aikido. This was Chiba shihan.
    Some, myself included, chose to follow Chiba shihan and others followed their own way.
    Chiba shihan always spoke highly of the other teachers and encouraged us to train with them when possible. When he relocated to San Deigo it was upon his advice that I saught instruction from Saito shihan.

Similar to you I have many yudansha visit my club and they seam to enjoy it but are pressured by their own teacher to make a choice. Plus the supid rumours of the intensity of the training etc.
    Still I have a great number of friends who have trained in other arts and we have open invitations to each others dojos. Sadly we used to give demonstrations at the International Kendo Taikai which was held in Ediburgh. At the taster sessions we would have kendoka,judoka, jujutsu etc but no aikidoka "because the clubs in edinburgh do not interact" so would not "share the same mat."

So sad really.

regards koyo
    kenshiro abe

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 21, 2007
  2. cjamieson

cjamieson Valued Member

Thank You

I would just like to thank all at the Makotokai for a fantastic practice. I will definatley be back soon.

Thanks again guys

Craig

3. koyo

No politics no personalities NO PROBLEM.
    always welcome.

regards koyo

4. macker

macker Valued Member

I understood the "Hut" was in Hillingdon Middlesex. Chigwell was where the summer schools were held.

5. koyo

Yep Macker you are correct. Chigwell was where the summer schools were held and aikido was really made available to other clubs that had sprung up.

I think that Hayden Foster is still teaching in Hillingdon.

regards koyo

Grange farm where seminars were held with aikido, karate, judo and kendo available. I made a few lifelong friends there .

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 23, 2007
  6. koyo

Hi Craig

The guys send their regards and I hope that you shall extend my best wishes to your teachers. As mentioned on this thread most of the makotokai are cross trainers hence the refusall to fall if not unbalanced properly and the strikes used if any opening appears in a technique.They were pleased to hear that you enjoyed the training.

best wishes for your future training
    regards koyo

7. sakumeikan

sakumeikan Valued Member

Dear Mr Jamieson,
    Sorry for the belated response. Regarding your visit to Mr Holland's dojo the cost of the insurance [£20] is to say the least exorbitant. If the Scottish Aikido Federation is indeed charging its member £20 for insurance per head this is far too much. I base this on the cost of Insurance premium paid to the British Aikido Board who I believe would be Mr Holland's member's insurance provider.
    Regarding your comments about visiting other dojo I would urge you to visit the Thistle Aikido Dojo in Chryston. The Sensei there is Mr Mike Flynn 6th dan Shihan , a current student of Chiba Sensei.The training here comprises body art , study of sword /stick and Batto Ho.There are other groups in Wishaw which work with Mr Flynn. Again I am sure you will receive a welcome.
    As a point of interest I have known Slim Coyle for oover 30 years and while it is some time since we last met I know him to be sincere in his study.
    Let me know how you get on,
    Cheers, Sakumeikan