A couple of brief clips

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by Dan Bian, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Hi wujibu,
    Currently working on mud-stepping at the moment, though havn't done as much Bagua as I have Taiji lately.
    Thanks for your comments :)

2. wujidragon

wujidragon Valued Member

You are very brave to put your video up, and I commend you for that. I have to ask though, why are you falling into your steps?

3. Dan Bian

This is how my teacher instructed me.

4. wujidragon

wujidragon Valued Member

fair enough, what was your teacher's reasoning for this falling step? What did he/she tell you was the primary purpose of this form the way he/she taught it?

5. Dan Bian

Falling into the steps, as if being pulled around the circle.

6. wujidragon

wujidragon Valued Member

Thanks for explaining.

7. Chris-H

Chris-H New Member

While I have not had the chance to see the Bagua video you put up, (seems it has been removed), I have a difference of opinion on falling into the steps.
    Please note there may be an underlying reason why your teacher has told you to fall into your steps, so I want to be clear that I am not dogging your teachers method.

I understand what you are getting at by stating being pulled around the circle, but I think that you need something behind you pushing you forward as well. There should be a pull and a push happening simultaneously when walking the circle. The steps should also be controlled so that you can change direction at any given time. If you are falling into the steps in an uncontrolled way, then you may very well be over committing and not utilizing the pull/push effectively (like I said - I can't view the vid, so it is hard for me to say). There is also the application aspect of this. Falling into ones steps can leave you vulnerable for being swept if the sweep is properly timed.

Best,
    Chris

8. wujidragon

wujidragon Valued Member

I did a double take on the video for the reason that if the falling was occurring with application that required forward energy then it would be conflicting I think. For example falling into the step while doing single whip or ward off. I didn't see that in the video and since his teacher taught him this method, then there must be a reason behind it. I'd like to get a little more depth on the reasoning, i.e. why in that step, what is the desired effect etc.

Typically, you are right, falling into a step is equivalent to loss of balance or simply not being in control of each movement. For example, when he opened his form with the side step he fell into that step (I see many do this and it shows a lack of control). In our viewpoint, my lineage and teacher, any type of falling step would be against our principle. One of the primary purposes of the form (the way we teach and learn it) is learning correct shifting and balance, as well as whole body integration, qi cultivation, etc.

Of course many there are many different ways these forms have evolved and that doesn't necessarily mean they don't have excellent application. It is good though (and I think the purpose of these forums) to gain an understanding of why differences in forms exist, how they assist the students learning, health and application, and their underlying reasoning or principles.

9. wujidragon

wujidragon Valued Member

One last thing I forgot to add...

Being pulled around the circle, being pushed, etc. don't make sense to me because the power and energy is generated in the dan tien moving from the inside out. Thus, being pulled or pushed seems to me to show a balance issue.