A BJJ Question

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Xue Sheng, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

You will rarely see me posting in a BJJ section because I do not train it, I am impressed by it, but I do not think it is something my old arthritic body, that is much closer to 60 than 50, could handle.

However I like to know about the martial arts school in my area and I just located a BJJ school I did not know existed, that was that close to my area.

Now I know what the names Gracie and Machado mean to BJJ, but I have no idea what Ricardo Almeida means to BJJ and the head instructor of this school is a black belt from Ricardo Almeida.

Is that lineage potentially, bad or no way of knowing

2. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

"No way of knowing" ? :eek:
    Wikipedia? Google? Duck Duck Go? Yahoo? :rolleyes:

3. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

A black belt under Ricardo Almeida?
    Ricardo "black belt from Renzo Gracie, fought in Pride and the UFC, teaches Frankie Edgar and Eddie Alvarez" Almeida?
    I mean...I think he might be pretty legit. :)

4. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

Ricardo Almeida has four ADCC medals, a Pancrase middleweight title, six wins in the UFC and is one of Frankie Edgar's main coaches. He's roughly as legit as it's possible to be.

5. Xue Sheng

You are of course assuming I can read and write :D

After I posted I checked Google, however I missed the part about his black belt from Renzo Gracie

6. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

For a second, I thought you wrote Ricardo Almeida is teaching there...I would've signed up your great grand kids as well :p

7. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

8. Xue Sheng

Thank you for all the responses

And I should clarify, the head of the school received his black belt from Ricardo Almeida

Pretty In Pink likes this.
  9. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

A very solid black belt you can be sure.

Xue Sheng likes this.
  10. Vince Millett

Vince Millett Haec manus inimica tyrannis MAP 2017 Gold Award

...and as someone who is also nearer 60 than 50, I'd say don't dismiss the idea of training BJJ. I do just fine at 57! You could always go along for a try out session and see how you get on.

Xue Sheng likes this.
  11. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I agree with Vince - just train smart and don't try to out-alpha the 20 year olds

Xue Sheng likes this.
  12. Xue Sheng

My big concern with training BJJ at this time is not so much age as it is arthritis in the hips and knees.... Lost a lot of flexibility....if it was not for that, I would go check it out.

13. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Yeah it's pretty intense and takes its toll on your body as you get older

14. Vince Millett

Vince Millett Haec manus inimica tyrannis MAP 2017 Gold Award

Difficult to know how that might affect you until you have a go and see. However, BJJ is very adaptable in that everyone develops their own game. An older, less flexible, person will develop a whole different game to that a bouncy athletic 20 year old.
    If your flexibility won't allow you to do a spinny upside-down inverted technique, you can stick to an old school takedown-guardpass-submission approach. There are plenty of old inflexible people training.

15. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

''Xue Sheng said:

My big concern with training BJJ at this time is not so much age as it is arthritis in the hips and knees.... Lost a lot of flexibility....if it was not for that, I would go check it out. ''

While some might bemoan the lack of stand up in some BJJ circles it might not be a bad thing for a youngster like you Xue Sheng! I know that when I started judo there was a huge increase in the contact/impact that my body was taking. It's quite positive that BJJ is a grappling style without the intensity/exhaustion/impact associated with wrestling or judo. Give it a go. I'm too busy playing rugby to spend the necessary time on the mats but once I retire from the pitch I certainly would go back to BJJ (I've dabbled between judo and rugby).

Don't give up because you aren't quite as young as you used to be but respect that your body is changing (first time that you heard this since you were 13?) and things take time to heal and may be more sensitive because of old injuries that you forgot that you are carrying. Start a stretching program and be gentle but persistent. When I returned to playing rugby at 50 I hurt daily for the first couple of years and ached almost all of the time. Now 60+ I don't feel anything. There are no guarantees but there is lots of potential to enjoy another lovely art if you train wisely.

:' )

LFD

16. Xue Sheng

I'm a Youngster !!!!! Thank You..... but since you are 60+.....and I am not yet 60, but I'm darn close... you can call me youngster anytime you want :D

Thanks, I'll think about it. Most of my injuries are from over 40 years of MA training, a security job or two in hospitals with ERs, mental health units and detox units and f course dirt bike riding of my younger days