6 Types of Athiesm

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Thomas, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

There is evidence to support regional flooding. There is no evidence other than the Bible to support a world wide flood and the massive extinction of animals, plants and humans that would have resulted from such a flood.

2. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

Religion gives people hope based on faith. It does not rely on what a bunch of science men who try to one up each other all the time say or what new great and wonderful discovery. I posted those articles and either people didn't read them, they read them and didn't understand them, or they just don't have a smart answer for them ... I find that to be quite funny on a forum full of people who seem to have all of the answers.

Tell me Hannibal... you know my situation, I've told you about myself. What do you think? Does religion really get a bum wrap because of people like me? Do you think I have come here and try to shovel feed you all full of my beliefs or have I just simply returned fire when ignorant statements are mad toward me or my beliefs based on ZERO proof other than what people say about Noah's Ark? So what?!?!? Noah's Ark... wow, it was thousands of years ago and no one found an old wooden boat that would have likely rotted and there been no trace left of it. Not like they had steel boats back then... not like they had any Thompsons water seal right?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  3. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Faith isn't a virtue, it's a weakness.

4. Saved_in_Blood

lol, is that right? You have all sorts of anger and disgust that come from your posts my friend.

5. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

No one would expect the boat to be found. Of course it would have rotted away long ago. What about the geological evidence that would have been left behind from a world flood? Such an event would make a detectable impact on the earth itself, and it would be found over the entire world, in the same geological layer of earth. Also you would have massive amounts of fossilized remains of animals in the areas that the conditions were right for it. You would also expect to see remains of human habitations all abandoned at roughly the same time.

6. Madao13

Madao13 Valued Member

Take your time and go reread your posts and compare them with his and see who is the one that shows anger and disgust.
    Oh and great arguement once again, by the way.
    He said his opinion about the nature of faith and you responded by insulting him instead of explaining why you have a different opinion on this particular subject...

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  7. holyheadjch

It's not anger or disgust, it's pity.

8. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Well this is getting personal pretty quick.

Ummm...careful with the schizo jibe please. We may have a "warped" sense of reality on the outside, but on the inside we got a whole lot of partying and all the food is low-cal. It's just that the internal monologues usually suck :p

Seriously though, we all have our own perception of reality. It's just...different.

You really don't have to go that far. Go look at some of the people in small towns and villages, they make you question the idea of being human.

Out of curiosity to the atheists in this thread - if someone's faith gives them enough reason to feel OK about life, but doesn't give them the excuse to be a douche canoe about it, would you consider that acceptable or is it important to you that they don't have a faith?

9. holyheadjch

My point was that if an alien species showed up looking like us, that would strongly suggest that there is some higher power guiding evolution. It's hard to come up with an alternative explanation
    People can believe what they like, but the need to believe in a higher power is still a weakness.

10. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Haha, I know, I was being silly :)

11. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

The little science men don't actually tell people to believe anything. I realise that you have huge trouble with the idea of knowledge not coming from an authority, but try to bear with me on this.

What the little science men, as you resort to calling them in an attempt to belittle what you can't refute, say is 'if you do this experiment then this theory predicts this outcome - you can do the experiment yourself, and if you get a different outcome let everyone know, and let them know how it was done so that flaws in your method can be researched, or so that we can find out where the theory is wrong and correct it'.

Now I know that you're so close-minded you've already declared you'll never question your faith (making it quite clear that you understand nothing about evidence), but one day I'm hoping you'll wake up, open your eyes, and bounce your head off the wall repeatedly as you realise how stupid you sound.

Did you see the initial post? It was pretty clearly an ad hominem attack on any atheists (as well as, I suppose, anyone religious who doesn't agree with saved's own little belief system).

If someone doesn't feel the need to advertise their faith, and claim it makes them 'right' in some divine way, then I honestly don't care.

It's the moment someone starts evangelising, boasting, attacking, trying to restrict other's freedoms or condemn people for perfectly natural, non-harmful actions that it gets my goat up.

12. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

BOOM!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEQdvYFMBAU"]BREAKING!!! UFO ALIEN DISCLOSURE by Canadian Minister of Defense May 2013 - YouTube[/ame]

My work here is done.

13. GSHAMBROOKE

GSHAMBROOKE Thats Tarm Sarm

Religion gives false hope.

14. CanuckMA

CanuckMA Valued Member

Oy Vey masked profanity removed

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2013
  15. Saved_in_Blood

Maybe to you... to me it's quite real and has been very helpful in some very hard times in my life. Yet another ignorant comment that comes from ignorant person.

16. GSHAMBROOKE

GSHAMBROOKE Thats Tarm Sarm

I was born into religion but i was far superior than the fools that surrounded me because i could not be brainwash like they were, the fact that i looked outside of the small box that you live in for answers rather then accept the lies that were fed to me proves that i am not ignorant and neither are you because all the evidence that you need to make a truly educated decision has been served to you to investigate at your leisure, you are either to stupid to understand or see it or to stubborn to want to.
    Someone on this forum said that they pity you, i do not because you have all the information at hand to prove all your false hope and belief to be pure made up lies and fantasy, its just pathetic plain and simple.

17. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

It's even more fantastic than that. From wiki:

Depends what you mean by "acceptable". I agree with the others when they draw a distinction between those who keep their faith to themselves and those who push it on others. For the record, SiB, I don't consider what you're doing to be "pushing". Passionately arguing your position is not pushing in itself. I only really have a problem with religion when it tells other people how to live their lives against their will. Any faith that can get along with people of different beliefs or no beliefs without prejudice is fine with me. We don't have a problem there, we just have a difference of opinion.

But there's another side to this and that's faith itself (specifically as a reason for believing something is real, as opposed to "a faith"). Everyone has the right to believe what they want, why they want, obviously. And I'm genuinely glad that some people's beliefs give them comfort and / or meaning. The problem is, out of all the reasons for believing something, faith has to be one of the worst. There are various reasons someone might have for believing something and you'd expect some to be better than others. Better methods would, amongst other things, give you some ability to work out if the thing you believe is likely to be true and would encourage you to doubt and double-check your beliefs. Faith in itself doesn't give you any confidence that your belief may be true, it just believes what it believes, end of. And it most certainly doesn't encourage doubt. In fact, more extreme manifestations of faith actively discourage doubt and portray it as being in opposition to faith. Further, by defining faith as a virtue, doubt tends to be portrayed as a bad thing.

The problems come when that kind of faith gets out of control. I suspect that many people of faith, deep down, know that faith is an unreliable reason for believing something. This no doubt causes some cognitive dissonance with their opinion of themselves as a reasonable person. One way some cope with this is to double down and become "more faithful". This can sometimes then lead to them wanting to force their beliefs on others.

18. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Saved in Blood & GShambrooke,

Stop the personal attacks. Now. No more "you're ignorant, you're pathetic." You're both making yourselves and your positions look bad.

19. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Ignorant??

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2013/0...te-now-church-the-center-of-measles-outbreak/

The Eagle Mountain International Church in Newark, Texas, run by Kenneth Copeland Ministries, has long been a strong anti-vaccination stronghold. Now, it is the epicenter of a major outbreak of Measles in the United States.

20. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013