50 man Kumite!

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Haduken, May 9, 2006.

1. philp

philp New Member

Yes, I can imagine! :D

Let me know when you've tried it ;) I'll be sure to bow down to you.

2. thepunisher

thepunisher Banned Banned

This isn't kyokushin Haduken. Its seiki-juku and even though you might not have heard about them we've had a couple of 3.rd dan gradings in our style. Even though at the last bb grading someone only went for their 2.nd dan.

Christian

3. thepunisher

That will be a while. Towards the end of this year I'm attempting to get up to 3.rd kyu (green belt). Means, maybe another year or two before I go for my bb. But a buddy of mine, martialartsdude on here, is planning on going for his bb in the near future. He is preparing for it now.

Christian

4. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

A 1st kyu needs to fight 15 senior black belts to get his black belt? Surely if the others are senior black belts he'll get pwned in the first round and never pass?

5. Haduken

Haduken Valued Member

good luck to him... i think i had about a 8 man line up at the end of a long grading recently, and it was very, very hard. have seen a couple of 30 mans, which is our 2nd dan... very impressive - also moosey... i am sure you don't have to beat everyone, just hold your own and keep going and fighting

6. kyokutsuki

kyokutsuki Valued Member

WOW by the way you've put it a 50man kumite seems almost imposible! makes you wonder how sosai oyoma did 300 ! hehe

7. kyokutsuki

kyokutsuki Valued Member

No offence but a 50 man kumite is a feet on its own! So how on earth do you expect a person to go though a whole 3rd dan grading and then do a 100man! either your fibbing or your karateka's are seceratly terminators! hehe

8. thepunisher

Yes, you read that right moosey. Thats part of the grading requirement for bb in our dojo. And concerning passing: well, at the last grading from 19 participants 10 passed it. It seems to have alot to do with endurance but if you think this grading is hard you should see the seiki-juku ju jutsu grading for bb. I heard the last one was really bloody. :eek:

Christian

9. Moosey

I don't understand how the 1st kyu isn't just KOed by the first one or two black belts? For him to successfully fight 15 black belts in a row would seem to suggest that your brown belts are better than your black belts? How could this be? Sorry if I'm being dense - I just don't get how your 1st kyu wouldn't be pulped by the 15 senior black belts?

10. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

I think he said that they just have to endure 1 and half minutes per fighter, so i guess just playing it safe and being tough.

11. thepunisher

It is assumed in our dojo that if you are brown belt you are nearly there to your bb. Meaning a brown belt has to know all the fighting skills that a bb already knows before taking his belt test. And yes, many times the brown belt does get a knock or two but what he is required to do then is get up again and keep on fighting. Like I said, its also a test of endurance. And they do get pulped. I heard someone I know at the last bb test got messed up pretty badly but what he managed to do is keep on going until the end. And thats the important thing, you have to show spirit and endurance to last all 15 bb's.

It makes anyone coming out of this bb grading a person to respect, regardless of whether they pass or not.

Christian

12. karate princess

karate princess Savvy??

actually, in our syllabas it states that for a third dan you should be able to complete 100 fights, however, the number they give you might not exactley be 100 and i dont think all of the people you face will be senior dan grades, but i think what they are trying to get at is that for a thrid dan you should be very very fit and be ABLE to complete 100... i think

13. prowla

prowla Valued Member

In our Dan grading, you don't have to win each of the 10-15 fights, you have to prove that you can protect yourself, keep doing karate, and give a bit back too.
    The line are allowed to punch to head (there are typically several bloody noses), and the last one I saw included some knees to head (resulting in a nasty split lip).
    (It is true though that in reality, there has to be some restraint from the line because people would literally be killed otherwise.)

Oh, and after that you have to do the formal grading syllabus for every belt 10th kyu-1st dan without error, just for good measure.
    I saw one person have to bail out of their dan grading at around the 3rd kyu syllabus because they were going to pass out.

Last edited: May 10, 2006
  14. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

As an intersted observer, what are the rules for the sparring in however-many-man kumite for kyokushinkai?

Mitch

15. Haduken

Haduken Valued Member

rules may vary slightly, but as i understand it - full knock down rules: punches/open hand strikes/elbows all to the body and legs only (no elbow strikes to the back). any kicks to the head legs or body. knees to the body or legs only. NO headbutts, NO knees to head, Fight till knockdown (graded person must get up within 3-5 secs), knockout or time limit is reached(sweeps and throws are not counted as knockdowns, but are included in sparring.)

16. edd1

edd1 Valued Member

Know it's not totaly the same, but at my old gym one of the boxing guys (ranked about 7 in the nation) onec did a hundred rounds for charity ion the middle of the local mall. Impressive.

17. Moosey

Very impressive!