4 weeks to go till thailand and I cant train!!

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by SCP_Kensei, May 6, 2006.

1. SCP_Kensei

SCP_Kensei www.taintedlover.com

I'm off to Rawai Muay Thai 4 weeks from today!!
    I should be really excited but unfortunately a recent injury means I cant do any MT classes for the next couple of weeks, I dont even know if i'm going to be 100% by the time I go.

We were working some cut-kick drills and my partner lost concentration, and instead of kicking waist heght fo me to cut-kick he kicked ankle height. as he's a bit shorter than me this meant his nee smashed into the muscle onthe outside of my shin (Tibialis anterior). He wasnt pulling his shot either so the shot damaged something deep within my lower leg, taking me out of the class (I couldnt stand for some time).

Anyway a week later and it's started to heal (Phew) till another guy I was training with did exactly the same thing.
    Now I think i'm going to have to keep away from MT for the next 4 weeks to avid any training that may cause further injury and ruin my training in Thailand!!

Sometimes life just sucks.

2. sportmuaythai

sportmuaythai Valued Member

Regret to hear of your mishap. I hope you'll heal sufficiently to train at least for a couple of weeks. I assume that they will have shin pad for you at Rawai camp. Any way, all is not lost. You'll find Phuket to be a very good spot to spend holidays, and you can watch muaythai fights and may be bull fights as well. I'd reccommend that you search for FBT shin guard stocking to wear when you spar back home. You can surely find FBT store in Bangkok, but I don't know if they are available in Phuket. FBT muaythai shorts are also good value. The FBT shin guard and their other muaythai accessories are official equipment for amature muaythai competition. You'll also find that Thais don't usually go all out when sparring. Have fun.

3. Smee

Smee Evil kung fu genius

Hey mate

i've just got back from Rawai. They do have shin guards for you to wear.

There's also plenty of other "entertainment" if you cant train....hahahaha

Seriously, just go and enjoy it. Do whatever training you can. You wont regret it. I'm just jealous as hell.....

4. Cyrax

Cyrax Forever Student

sorry to hear about your injury I would definately take it easy so you will be in good condition for thailand...i am very jealous...how the hell do you afford it?

5. JKD_Haduken

JKD_Haduken New Member

i will be at rawai camp next year!!! I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!! I think about it every single day!!!

6. SCP_Kensei

Flight to thailand £304
    1 month at Rawai £90
    Accomodation £110
    Internal flights £70
    Insurance £58

Cheap as Chips

7. duderanch182

duderanch182 Bored Thaiboxer

Just wondering where did you book your flight as that is really cheap.

8. pablo147

pablo147 Valued Member

you guys are lucky, from new york to thai land is over $1000, not to mention it takes over 20 hrs to get there

Last edited: May 9, 2006
  9. OBCT

OBCT New Member

Does anyone know of a Thai gym in Bangkok that I can go to for just one day ? I'm saving to do a RTW trip next starting february, and would really like to try it in Thailand.

Any info on places where I could try Muay Boran/Chiaya and/or Krabi Krabong (Either North, or South Thailand) would be good also.

10. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

No exactly how you feel SCP Kensei I received an accidental kick just above my thigh which left me unable to put weight on my rear leg for over a week was still healing about a week later when I took another accidental shot to the same place which that time ruptured my quadriceps! Was out for about a month and a half on crutches so definitely be careful!

I'd suggest putting the training on the back burner for now and letting your leg heal in time for the trip! Once you get there you can make up for all that missed time and anyhow maybe once your leg feels stronger again start going swimming or similiar low stress exercises to keep up your fitness and get strengthen your leg back up.

11. MonsterMaxx

MonsterMaxx Having fun

Nothing sucks worse than getting hurt. I snapped my big toe bone 3 days before a Caribbean vacation. It's taken me out of the state tournament as well.
    Most unhappy about it.

Heal well.

12. SCP_Kensei

Well i've found a solution to my training issues.
    1) No leg shielding wiht that leg. I make my opponent only kick waist height and above on that side and use a high arm shield. (only a temporary thing)

2) Instead of kicking with that leg I use The upwards diagonal knee (Kao Chang??), basically thrown as the round kick but only using the top half of the leg.
    Good against pads, NOT so good vs people (bit destructive).

@DUDERANCH: Air France keep having Sales.

Last edited: May 9, 2006