3rd dan exam video

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by aikimaghreb, Sep 12, 2006.

1. aikimaghreb

aikimaghreb New Member

2. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

No disrespect intended but, I'm left wondering why you feel the need to gain people's comments/admiration from an audience regarding your grading ?

You've posted this on the following sites :Youtube, Aikiweb, MAP, Budoseek, E-budo Anymore I've missed ?

Gradings are subjective things and, IMHO are quite personal experiences which exist between student, instructor and the organisation they were taken within. Posting this information across the internet speaks volumes about ego.

Sorry to appear negative.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2006
  3. kiaiki

kiaiki Valued Member

Postings of this nature, as our Moderators warn time and again, lead to two responses:

A polite and slightly embarrassed word or two of approval
    OR
    Lots of negative remarks

I watched the grading and enjoyed the opportunity. What I saw was IMHO very good technically (praise) but I found the 5 man attacks and 4 man tanto attacks a bit silly. I've seen them done by 8th Dan masters - and they still look unrealistic.

If they are a test of how you deal with pressure, fine. But the range of techniques gets compressed into two or three, constantly repeated. One Uke with a (live) tanto who knows how to attack with random slashes and thrusts is a better test IMHO than 4 who attack slowly and in turn and pose no real threat to Tori. (negative comment).

Sorry, but that's what happens when you post these things.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2006
  4. prowla

prowla Valued Member

Just to add a bit of balance to this thread (because Aikido is about balance!), I liked the movie and found it interesting and instructive.

5. Cloud9

Cloud9 Valued Member

aw shucks, I thought I was going to see Aikido in the UFC. :)

If an Aikido BB does those moves with a non-Aikido person, they'd probably be breaking their arms before they'd flip like that.

6. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

So maybe the point in flipping (as you put it) is to exit the technique before your arm gets broken. Which allows you to continue with the practice.

7. Nick K

Nick K Sometimes a Valued Member

NIce balance and composure. I enjoyed watching it. Well done.