2nd UK-International Pencak Silat Championship

Discussion in 'Silat' started by rizal, Jul 12, 2006.

1. rizal

rizal Valued Member

Hey, UK-ers
    Any eyewitness account on 2nd UK-International Pencak Silat Championship at Brunel University??
    Indonesia is the overall champion with 12 gold, 3 silver, and 3 bronze.
    Surprisingly, the MVP (got to borrow this term over) are NOT Indonesians.
    They are M. Noor Rafii bin Ramli from Perguruan Gayung (Gayong?), Singapore, and Harriet Zuidland from Perguruan Bongkot Groningen, Netherlands. CONGRATULATIONS.
    Any info on Perguruan Bongkot Groningen? They sent 3 fighters to the finals: Harriet, who beat Suriani Usman from Indonesia in Women Class F; Rion Rijker on Men Class H; and Martijn Houwerzijl in Men Class G.
    So jealous of you Englishmen....After seeing the Spaniards performance years ago, I'm always to eager to see Europeans in Jurus Ganda competition (Doubles artistic freestyle performance, empty handed and weapons techniques). Europeans usually has the best fight choreography!

2. Wali

Wali Valued Member

When did this event take place? I haven't seen a single piece of advertising or notification to any silat school in the UK.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2006
  3. rizal

rizal Valued Member

4. sulaiman

sulaiman Valued Member

Salaams all
    Not surprisingly this event is another demonstration of the petty mindedness , politiking and downright bad manners of the uk pencak silat federation.
    Funny that with the abundance of world class uk silat players , gurus and schools , this national association is still limited to the same 2 indonesian perguruan as 10 years ago.
    oooh I could tell you some stories ..

ciao amigos

5. Wali

Wali Valued Member

Ditto!! :D

6. rizal

rizal Valued Member

please, due tell

7. sulaiman

sulaiman Valued Member

instead of bitching though , I would like to see an alternative event - not a championship or anything like that as in my opinion the Persilat olah raga leaves a lot to be desired, as for that matter does its seni rules , and also its jurus wajib etc , in fact most of things it concerns itself with.
    What would be better would be a celebration of silat, an acknowledgement of the fact that several dedicated guru gurus have struggled to bring this art to a westerern environment and have done so incredibly well.
    even just from amongst the contributors here we could cook up something pretty special.

8. Kiai Carita

Kiai Carita Banned Banned

Why Not? When?

Great idea Bro-Sulaiman!

How about Parliament Hill, full-moon September? In London there are many dedicated silat players. We can stay up all night doing silat with a 360 degree view around the city.

Or, an other idea, we could all join you and masuk Melayu with Bang Ariffin in Cornwall and we could do silat 24 hours in nature - when is your gathering actually?

Warm salaams to all,

KC

9. sulaiman

sulaiman Valued Member

Salaams Mas Bram, sounds good to me - I hope to be over there for Cikgu ariffins cornwall gathering - its the last week in august - will be coming to see you too hopefully - full moon on parliament hill sounds very nice ,only reservation I have would be where can we cook the satay ?

10. Kiai Carita

Kiai Carita Banned Banned

Make a New Thread?

Salaams bro,

Parliament Hill and Satay? I don't think the Park Police would be understanding even if we offered them some nicely. If satay is part of the story maybe Cornwall or the Stables Market would be the option. Full moon in the firts weeks of September? After your Cornwall gathering?

You know what bro, why not you start a thread toying around the idea of a silat satay gathering for sometime you are here. Lets invite Cikgu Ariffin, Haji Mangipin, Steve Benitez, Richard De Bourdes, Pendekar Sanders or Guru Liam, in short everyone! We could make a night long silat and satay evening with teh tarik and bajigur, bring some drums and gongs and a tarompet and off we go! I have been warned by Sarge not to advertise on this forum, if not I would invite people myself through this posting.

Bro, I suppose a good time would be after your Cornwall do but any time you like would be good. One pair of our brothers and sisters in the UK are to be married soon aren't they - this world class event can be a silat thanks giving for their union too. Anyway, whenever you have time I'll do my best to help.

Warm salaams,
    Bram

11. Orang Jawa

Orang Jawa The Padi Tribe-Guardian

Good idea Sulaiman!!!
    This coming August, I will be hosting our 23rd annual gathering. An open martial arts gathering. Indonesian, Philipine, Japanase, Korean and Chinese martial arts students would be party with us. Listen to learn and learn to listen is our mottos.
    An open mind is a good things!
    Tristan

12. bela diri

bela diri Valued Member

Hi Guys

I will see if i can generate interest from our side guru de-bordes is in england during september but i know he is very busy.

regards
    bela diri

13. sulaiman

sulaiman Valued Member

Sounds good - I will speak to some people who know some people etc.
    Satay and Teh Tarik is definitely essential.
    Mas Tristan please post some videos or photos of your gathering -would love to be there .

14. Narrue

Narrue Valued Member

I think this is the event your talking about

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LyJAEOPW6w"]Silat melayu in Brunel uni - YouTube[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TQ7ZZ4yGzY"]Pencak Silat - YouTube[/ame]

15. Pekir

Pekir Valued Member

Doesn't sound like much of a national assocation anyways, more like two befriended schools who organize an international party (which can be a good thing too). I'm from a school which up to date have chosen to not be a member of the Dutch national assocation after we left it somewhere in the early eighties. But at least our national assocation represents enough schools to actually represent a nation.

Pekir

16. sulaiman

sulaiman Valued Member

Salaams

Salaams Pekir
    Me too , I´m keeping Silat Gayong España well away from the national Spanish association.

It seems to me that as soon as something becomes " official " all the blessing and reality of it leaves and you end up with politics and beaurocrats.

The UK organisation is a good example of this , their mandate from Persilat was to spread and encourage the culture and practise of silat in the UK.
    What they have taken this to mean is that they have the right to decide what is and what is not " officially silat " a right they have used to exclude silat gayong
    silat Lincah
    silat Haqq melayu and numerous others from participating in UK or international Persilat events.
    Still its their loss - none of the clubs I know want anything to do with them now - what they represent is not what we recognize as Silat.

adios
    sulaiman

17. Pekir

Pekir Valued Member

Sulaiman,

Some things are pretty much the same wherever you go. During one of the last Olah Raga competitions I spoke to some of my fellow teachers that are members and discussed the option of joining again after 20 years or so. If I'm not mistaken my guru even performed some official duties at the time. One of them had the attitude don't decide to quickly on this, the other would like our school to join a.s.a.p.

At a certain point during the afternoon the teacher who would want us to join and myself walked into the chairman of our nation branch and introduced me with the message that I might consider to join (again) His reaction didn't give me the impression that he was really interested. If I want to be negative about his reaction it was more like: well if you really want to join send in the form and we might just accept you. Instead of: that's interesting who do you represent, tell me some more. In general, people on a forum like this are more interested than my counties representation is about what's going on in his country!!

pekir

18. rizal

rizal Valued Member

hmmm i think europe has a deep problem here.
    Have you complain to Persilat directly?

19. Pekir

Pekir Valued Member

Rizal,

Most of the time when talk to other teachers whose schools are members about the nations leaque the subject automatically turns to political issues and disagreements on a whole bunch of things. This was the reason for my own teacher to abandon the memberships a long time ago. I myself am somewhat doublehearted to becoming a member.

On one hand I don't think we have to be a member to consider ourselves a legitimate representation of one of the many schools. On the other hand if you want to have a voice and really want to make a difference you should join and put effort and time in it. Contacting the Persilat in may opinion would only be an option if you are a member or want to be one and are refused for doubtful reason. They haven't refused me as I haven't actually applied to be one yet.

While writing this post I also realize that I don't want to get into silat politics myself so I might want to easy my criticism before I do get part of it :)

Pekir