2nd Kyu Test - With Video!

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Aikidojomofo, May 23, 2011.

1. sakumeikan

sakumeikan Valued Member

Ushiro waza

Dear Rebel,
    Just viewed this blog.In Ushiro Waza uke is behind you/moves behind
    Tori.This is irrespective of what application /control Uke attempts.
    Tori has to reverse this -he/she must be [by use of tai sabaki ] positioned behind Uke.Especially for Ikkyo etc.In the case of Shiho Nage Tori is usually to the side of Uke prior to execution of Waza. Tori must never turn around and directly face uke.As you stated I concentrate on Aiki principles and how they are applied.I did mention the fact that the vid camera work was in the case of Ushiro Waza poor.I had no intention of pulling the waza apart , just suggesting possible points of interest to the lad who posted his clip.
    Cheers, Joe

2. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

what is interesting about the ushiro in this exam, and part of this yoshinkan style is the entry made by uke compared to other styles. The entry is first made with a strike. I find that fascinating. Practical? Well that all depends upon how one approaches the theory behind ushiro techniques as a whole.

For the attacker who's goal is to wind up behind you, this preliminary strike serves a useful, and practical purpose.

In other instances, such as multiple attackers in which nage may at some point wind up behind uke, which also may be practiced with a single attacker who finds themselves behind their target the strike may not, as is the case in many other styles, be as prevailent, or may even come after uke is in position behind nage...but still, I have to admit this is the first time I have seen this set up for ushiro.

As far as grabs go, as some others have questioned the reality of such an approach, there have been a couple of times when in a class arrest and apprehension techniques have been demonstrated, and I have turned around and demonstrated counter arrest techniques with members of law enforcement present.

This is demonstrated for two purposes. First to prevent arrest, however temporary, and second to familiarize those in LE with situations in which they need to be aware.

LEOs still grab a wrist or an arm to afix restraints.

3. afhuss

afhuss Valued Member

Thanks for the link....now I just have to find a computer that doesn't have Youtube blocked!

4. dimtim

dimtim New Member

Just had a look at the video - well done big chap. I'm a wee chap (5'6) and sometimes think that is a positive in some techniques. Must admit to being a bit disapointed by the negative nature of some of the posts in this thread. Onwards and upwards comrades!

5. afhuss

afhuss Valued Member

Nicely done.

6. Congratulations Aikidojomofo!

7. Phantom Power

Phantom Power Valued Member

Yeah, a wee chap who loves punching us bigger chaps in the face!