2nd Kyu Test - With Video!

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Aikidojomofo, May 23, 2011.

1. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

choad?

Last edited: May 26, 2011
  2. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

@dento
    reading what??? The same books that are out there that everyone else has access to.

And in between my reading I can just, at random, pick a dojo, not any dojo, but one that has shoji doors, pull put my bokken and space those doors the width of the bokken and practice my suburi until I whack the frame of that door.

I know, a bit disrespectful in regards to the sanctity of a dojo, but how many of you can freely walk into a dojo and whack at the shoji doors until you hit one? You may not have seen that video, but many on here have.

It's not that big of a deal, I can also rebuild that shoji should I need to. Nice of those folks to just let some guy in with a bokken and take cuts at their shoji doors, isn't it?

3. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

@Hannibal
    this is your idea of being irreverant? Still borders on immaturity, though no different from your previous spat of adjectives in reference to me. Can you find a synonym for attention whore? Or will you be able to come up with something new and original to call ma next?

4. Shinkei

Shinkei Valued Member

My only issue with you is that when Leo put up his grading video, you pulled some of his techniques apart. My advice was to follow his instructors teaching who are highly respected Yoshinkan Aikidoka. Now you may be the best Aikidoka or the worst Aikidoka in the world thats your little secret. I practice a different style to Leo I would approach techniques slightly different, but as Leo is practicing Yoshinkan Aikido with competent teachers its not my place to pull him apart.

Leo's teachers details, maybe you out rank them.

Our two teachers (sensei), Paul Stephens and Eva Stauffer are amongst the most highly ranked and skilled Yoshinkan Aikido practitioners in Europe. They were both trained and graded by some of the leading Yoshinkan Aikido teachers in the world. Tony Yates, Jacques Payet and Takefumi Takeno Shihan (master) are all household names to Yoshinkan Aikido practitioners.
    Both Paul and Eva first completed and then taught at the infamous Yoshinkan International Instructor Course (senshusei) at Yoshinkan Aikido’s headquarters (Hombu) dojo in Tokyo. The Senshusei course is a gruelling year-long intensive Yoshinkan Aikido course taught to civilians and the Tokyo riot police. Our dojo’s training is much more accessible and friendly but we receive significant benefit from our sensei’s experience training and teaching in the “riot police” course.
    Paul and Eva teach most classes together.

PAUL STEPHENS (5TH DAN)
    Paul Stephens began studying Yoshinkan Aikido in London, UK with Tony Yates (6th dan) 1986 and Jacques Payet (5th dan) in 1989. After acquiring his Shodan, Paul travelled to Japan and graduated from the 2nd Yoshinkan International Instructor Course at Hombu Dojo (central school) in Tokyo 1993. He remained in Japan until 1996 employed by the Hombu Dojo as a shidoin (teacher) of the Yoshinkan International Instructor Course and he accompanied Japanese Shihan (masters) on international tours. Paul eventually became the senior non-Japanese instructor in Japan.

EVA STAUFFER (4TH DAN)
    Eva Stauffer started studying Yoshikan Aikido at the Yoshinkan Hombu dojo in Tokyo in 1989. She graduated from the 1st ever Yoshinkan International Instructor Course, a year prior to Paul, and remained at the Hombu until 1996.

5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Drama Queen would seem to fit the request

You are fortunate that I am actually engaging you in a battle of wits as I usually do not fight an unarmed individual

Might want to read that one through a bit - or developp a sense of humour and roll with it :)

6. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

excellent, and why did you not take issue with sakumeikan or rebel wado for also adding their comments that as you put it pull the techniques apart? Or do aikidojomofos teachers only need to be mentioned when I make a post?

Also if you go back and re read the very first post in this thread, I believe you will read the words:

"Would love to hear any feedback..."

It does say that, does it not?

I'm aware this individual has instructors, like I said before, his posting of this video is not intended to bring feedback and questions from his instructors, is it? Or are they here on MAP as well?

7. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Izumizu,

Leave it be!

Let the thread be used for the purpose the OP posted it for.

Don't like what people are saying fine but ignore it and stop contributing to the derailment.

8. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

@Hannibal
    Oh, I have a sense of humor, it just requires a bit of maturity to actually understand it. Ha! See? No probably not.

But what is funny is the change you have made from insults and name calling to now engaging in what you now percieve as a battle of wits. My posts, nor the manner, or attitude in which I post has not changed. Yours have. Why is this?

9. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

You mean the part about "I would love to hear any feedback or answer any questions or comments."

You mean that part? What a noble idea, Dean.

10. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

You have to act like an **** don't you?

You know what I mean it's the behaviour you are engaging in now. If you can't keep your responses in context then don't reply, if you're trying to "engage in a battle of wits" then at least get your logic right and don't use strawmen.

Drop your moaning, stop derailing the thread and acting like a child.

I won't post on here after this but I will report each post you make which deliberately derails the discussion.

11. Shinkei

Shinkei Valued Member

My feedback to Leo was to take technical advice from his instructors who have a traceable credible lineage in Yoshinkan Aikido. As for the other people who made comments about Leo's video, they are not hiding as a secret Sensei.

12. dentoiwamaryu

dentoiwamaryu Valued Member

Great little grading, Unless someone has experience in your style do not take technical advice, just listen to your instructors and sempai

13. Aikidojomofo

Aikidojomofo Valued Member

I think that's exactly why I was partnered with a shorter guy. To put me in an awkward position and to see how I adapted my techniques. We have a lot of tall guys at our club so it's easy to become complacement when training with people of the same height

14. Aikidojomofo

Don't worry. I will always seek the advice of my instructors before anyone else. Thanks for your very kind words regarding my club and instructors

15. embra

embra Valued Member

Further on that point Leo.

I suggested raising your arms up less. Maybe the trick is something like project outwards slightly more than upwards and rotate the writs as in koyko-ho.

As a lot of folk have said, best to seek advice within Yoshinkan. In my case, my Aikido is fading, so what I say is no more than a pointer i.e. I 'preach' but don't practice. :)

A year or so back there was something of a revival in my case, but its petered out for one reason or another.

Stick at it Leo.

16. Aikidojomofo

Cheers Mitch!....If you ever get more curious there are some very good Yoshinkan Aikido clubs in Nottingham :cool:

17. Aikidojomofo

I have ridiculously long arms so it's something I need to be much more aware of. Littls Ukes have a hard time holding on

18. embra

embra Valued Member

if little uke loses the initial grip point, they can always immediately find another way to continue the awase/belending - by still attacking and projecting into tori - but it takes some work to a) develop by uke and b) by tori detecting the change.

e.g.if I am uke and Leo's tall arms have unbalanced me backwards - I can still back project into tori - so that the whole body movement continues - and tori has to make an on-the-fly change to continue the projection.

All easier said than done. It sounds like your club works on this. Also slow is best for this - to detect what is happening. The vid suggests this happens a lot in Yoshinkan i.e. a lot of studies on movement, postures and transitions.

One way that I used to do (definately past tense now) to develop this constant blending as a small uke; was to go where tori took me to, but always maintain some kind of contact (even if twisted out of all natural posture), until overwhelming force broke my ability to maintain the contact i.e. only then let go. When on the ground after Kokyo-nage projection I would often still have contact with Tori's projecting arm.

At some point I will put a thread up about the Aikido postures of hanmi, kamae, hitoemi and the related transitions - as I have a few very basic questions on this that I am interested in revisiting.

Last edited: May 27, 2011
  19. Aikidojomofo

Yoshinkan is all about posture. Don't sacrifice form for speed until you are proficient enough to start ramping it up a little bit. The whole point of the grading was to make sure we understood every step of each technique called out and try to be in the perfect position at each stage both as Sh'te and Uke. Which is why it seems quite slow

Sounds like a great idea for a thread!

20. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

Those of us here who study koryu will tell you, the format/learning method utilised in Yoshinkan is very similar to that seen in much older martial traditions and, that process has stood the test of time, it results in very methodical and technically accurate waza.

Again very well done.

Dave