2nd Aikido lesson

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Whiper11, Sep 7, 2007.

1. Whiper11

Whiper11 New Member

Hello all

second Aikido lesson today, have to say seems like i am going to be hooked, i love the manipulation and the pressure points.

I thought the training would be easy from a fitness point of view but i still came off the mat sweating like nothing else, so that is a major bonus.

My question is how do you remeber the moves etc, i have been taught about three different techniques now, but the classes seem a blur really. Do you get it by repeition? or are there other techniques etc??

Regards

2. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Don't concentrate on remebering the moves concentrate on the principles. Don't get hit (1) Align your body (2) unbalnce the attacker (3) Put everything into it and enjoy your training.

regards kyo

3. Whiper11

Whiper11 New Member

Thanks for that, My main problem and of course after two lesson, its really way too early to say its a problem, but i watch the instructor and have to basically reverse everything, and this muddles me up a little

4. koyo

Yoy have already mentioned one of the main elements. OBSERVE the instructor then FEEL the techniques when they are applied on you.It is really down to you how you progress. I feel that there is a paradox in that the faster you go the slower you learn. Study the basic principles and the techniques eventually become effective.
    Check out the martial arts of aikido threads here on map.

best wishes for your training regards koyo

5. 0gmios

0gmios Valued Member

I always tell beginners, see how Sensei moved out of the way first, that all you need to remember until you remember the rest.

Taisabaki, taisabaki, taisabaki! (body movements)

Keep with it. But be warned, it is ADDICTIVE.

Regards,

6. koyo

I tell the boys, first rule of aikido don't get hit, second rule of aikido..remember the first :D

regards koyo

7. Whiper11

Whiper11 New Member

That seems very true so far, i have noticed my body movement alsways seems to onvolve putting a chunky leg or moving around so that if they try and kick or punch, they physically can't do it.

Its is extremely adivtive and i like the strategy that thinking like that places on you.

8. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Doesn't your instructor mirror (demonstrate in reverse) for you?

Mitch

9. Whiper11

Whiper11 New Member

He does it both ways, but it turns out i am dyslexic in that regard, i find it very difficult translating what he does to what i do. He always starts out showing us from his angle and then demostrates on someone from about three angles, maybe its too much choice!

If there is a way to hold my hand the dirrect oppoiste of where it should go, i seem to be the poster boy

10. koyo

Keep your hands defending your centreline. Hold them as though holding a sword.

regards koyo
    edit
    and don't forget to SCOWL :D

11. Panzerhaust

Panzerhaust Banned Banned

Focus on basics.

If you try to remember every technique individually you'll go nuts. Work on remembering principles, working on muscle memory, and falling (very important).

The best thing is not to remember whole techniques but principles and pieces. Such as what sankajo is, how to get into doing it a technique from katate mochi, what is katate mochi. If you work on remembering pieces you will eventually be able to figure out many techniques simply from the name of the technique.

12. koyo

Good sense here particularly about basic principles.

regards koyo

13. armanox

armanox Kick this Ginger...

So much truth...

14. Senin

Senin Valued Member

What style are you studying? The Yoshinkan has step one, step two, step three procedure. Then you do it over and over, to exhaustion, and your body learns them without thinking about them.

I know some purists won't like this, but.........
    get an aikido book. When you get home, look at the technique you just learned at class. You might have a "uh-huh" moment, "that's what we were trying to do." It might make things easier next time.

Also, figure out what limb your teacher is moving first, then next, then next.

I know the aikido movements are suppose to come from infinity, but sometimes you need to break things down mechanically at first until you can get to the flow state.

15. Panzerhaust

Panzerhaust Banned Banned

I remember having this trouble when I started because I tried to remember al lthe techniques. Just work on remembering the peices and the body movement principles and eventually you'll be able to intuitively replicate techniques just from the name. Ie remembering what katate-mochi nikajo is is futile because then you'll have to remember kata-mochi nikajo. Learn the pieces such as katate, nikajo, mochi, yonkajo, ikkajo, ect. and principles and you'll be better off.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2008
  16. komuso

komuso Valued Member

Hi Whiper,

I also have a bit of trouble remembering things that I have been shown straight away. For me it took actually having the technique performed on me, feeling the way that I lost balance, was being controlled, and had to fall, for it to sink in properly. I used to practically beg to get hurled about like a rag doll by the dan grades because despite the frequent pain, I would be learning heaps,

just my considerably less than two cents worth,

paul

17. koyo

Without doubt the best way to learn is to experience the technique being applied on you. Another great value is that you become tough and strong more from what you can take than what you can give out.

Of course given the choice :) :)

regards koyo

18. komuso

komuso Valued Member

Not so sure about tough and strong, it always felt to me like I was being tenderised!

paul