2 good arts to crosstrain

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by usahed, Oct 1, 2006.

1. dianhsuhe

dianhsuhe Co-Founder: Glow-Do

?

I do not even know what an "empty handed mentality" is... Should he use an "armed mentality" then even if unarmed? Makes no sense Jester.

"Karate" isn't going to help him against a bladed assault? I am assuming you mean a traditional Japanese style? Again, Karate is NOT a style.

What WOULD help in a bladed assault?

Do you have experience in Thai Boxing? Your profile lists Praying mantis and the Filipino art- together totalling 12 months?

2. Sandy

Sandy Valued Member

Hi everyone,

I used to Thai box and was attacked (with bottles, not knives thank goodness) at the time.

Muay Thai's a really great style. I survived and it saved my neck. However, it didn't teach me what I needed to know about facing weapons or multiple attackers, resulting in injury to me.

Whilst I heartily recommend Thai boxing, I'd recommend krav maga as slightly better for self-defence. (Assuming you can find a good instructor.) Krav teaches dealing with weapons and multiple attackers from the start. (By dealing, I mean how to create the opportunity to escape, incidentally.)

Cheers :)

3. bounty

bounty New Member

I have never laughed so much, what are you guys taking,
    BJJ, Muay Thai, Boxing, JKD, Krava magra, I use this for stand up, I use this for "sit down", I use this for weapons, I use this for multiple attacks,da dee da dee da LOL,
    Ok lets start with the real silly one first Karate is no use if some attacks with a blade, How do you know?
    please dont say that "when you are attacked by a experienced knife fighter karate is no good you have have trained fillipino to stand a chance.
    nothing personal but ............lol
    TB

4. [T][K][D]

[T][K][D] Valued Member

Personally, Boxing and Judo would be my favorite choice for cross training.

5. jeff5

jeff5 Valued Member

Ryu Te Ren Mei used to be called Ryukyu Kempo. Its founder, Taika Oyata, changed the name because George Dillman started using the same name for what he teaches, and Oyata didn't want to be associated with him. It stresses tuite which is like joint locking, and pressure point strikes. (no, its not weird no touch knock out stuff) You learn Kata, but then they teach you self defense applications via the kata. You'll also learn a lot of basic "karate" looking blocks and strikes, but the way they use and apply them is very different than what people think of is Karate. They also do a lot of kobudo, which is weapons training as well as something called bogu kumite. Basically you suit up in full gear and go full contact.

Some of the stuff I've seen from Krav Maga is good, some isn't. I've seen some of their knife defense stuff, and honestly doing that against a knife will get you severly injured or killed. Maybe the book I was looking at was old, but they were advocating kicks and stuff against a knife. Not just kicks, HIGH kicks. Good way to get your femoral artery cut.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2006
  6. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

I'd have to agree that I am also skeptical about their knife defenses.

7. bounty

bounty New Member

When yoyu say you suit up for Bogu and then go at , what do you mean Suit up?
    TB

8. jeff5

jeff5 Valued Member

They put on Bogu gear, which is like a kendo helmet, chest protection, padded gloves, and go full speed and power.

9. bounty

bounty New Member

I think there is an "s" missing from bogu

10. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

bogu kumite

[​IMG]

11. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

is anything that is EASY ever very VALUABLE?

you know, the EASIEST form of self defense is to carry a pistol.

[​IMG]

12. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

FMA has it all just ask anyone LOL...

Seriously it is a hard one not to like. Combo of it and Muay Thai and Kempo is hard to beat in my humble opinion.

Kempo as in kempo jiujitsu, other spellings that have become popular in this day and age.

EP's Kenpo is different in MHO. He mentioned empty hands in his creed, not for me thanks if I can avoid it. LOL FMA has it all...

Pistol is ok, if you are going to kill, otherwise never bring it to the party.
    You can use it for club sometimes.LOL

Regards,
    Gary

Last edited: Oct 16, 2006
  13. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Actually a knife is probably better because it does not need reloading and you can also cut bread with it!

14. bounty

bounty New Member

Oh Bogu is for kids, good idea then putting all that stuff on.
    TB

15. jeff5

jeff5 Valued Member

I'm pretty sure adults do it too.

16. Kenpo_Dave

Kenpo_Dave Valued Member

Too much padding can be unrealistic as fighters can get a false sense on conditioning, thinking that they can take loads of hard strikes, unless its Daido Juku in which padding only prevents cuts :p

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMjGQk-k2ZA"]YouTube[/ame]

17. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

To much padding is a not good!

Always gives you the false impression. :rolleyes:

Yes, I like that chimp. He is on a card I have from TGSCOM,INC makers of fine things to go with my Glocks. :woo:

Knives are nice, and they are very useful.

Gary :)

18. Angelus

Angelus Waiting for summer :D

that look hardcore lol :D

19. Angelus

Angelus Waiting for summer :D

Thats precisely my point about the ineffectiveness of BJJ outside the ring. Sure it may make you a better fighter than any striker out there but whats the point of beating your opponent and then getting your head kicked off while you choke him out?

But this reminds me of something i saw in a park lol ...

I remember in summer 2005 i saw these 4 guys shoving this one guy who was walking with his gf and his dog - german shepard. He mad his gf hold the dog leash and started fighting this one of the guys. LOL the fight went to the ground and before you knew it the the other 3 guys were kicking the poor fellow.... and the dog just WENT CRAZY!!! The girl tried to hold the leash but she was basically tossed through the air when the dog started charging lol ... the guys just RAN... i think the dog bit the one that was on the floor ...
    Couple weeks later i saw the guy ... i think he was charged with irresponsible owenership of the dog or something like that... but he said theyd prolly have to drop that charge.

Anyways the moral of the story is make sure you walk with a powerful dog if you're gonna take a fight to the ground :D