1hr a week

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by S&CMAN, Sep 10, 2012.

1. S&CMAN

S&CMAN Valued Member

I recently signed up for tkd (preregister, not paid) which would have given me 3hrs a week as a beginner with more hours available to train as I increase in rank. However, my work schedule is going to be changing for an unknown length of time and it's going to cut me down to 1hr a week. I'm not sure if I should go ahead and pay the full amount, $125 for 4 months including the dobak(?), and just do the 1hr until my schedule changes again or if I should just wait.

Any opinions? Thanks

2. Razgriz

Razgriz Valued Member

125 for the time period including dobok does seem quite cheap. Not cheap in a bad way, as in thats quite a good rate.

I would say you might as well start, and go when you can. There is a lot of material on youtube some of it quite decent as well.
    Which I know doesn't replace an instructor -.-!

I think its better to start now than later...

Raz

3. hardball

hardball Valued Member

Get the dobak, train 1 hour in the dojang and practice at home. Lots and lots of practice at home.

4. S&CMAN

S&CMAN Valued Member

Yeah, that's what I was planning on doing since I know this change is only temporary. I just wasn't sure if it would be worth to pay for. I guess I could maybe stay a bit later on the day I can go and see if the instructor could give me some extra training or allow me to train with the higher ranks if possible.

Yeah, at almost 36 it's going to be hard enough as it is.

5. Instructor_Jon

Instructor_Jon Effectiveness First

If it's important to you you'll find a way to fit in the training.

6. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Dont but hit the gym with the spare hours untill your free again.

7. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

You should enquire if they have classes at other times in the day. I know that some places will have classes running 3 times a day.

8. Asterix187

Asterix187 Valued Member

If you hit the gym make sure that your training is generally TKD related, back work, leg work, stretching etc

9. S&CMAN

S&CMAN Valued Member

I went to the class last night and explained the situation to the master and he agreed to cut the fee in half until such time as I will be able to attend the other 2 classes, at which point I will pay the difference.

I think that's a pretty good deal. I'll just spend the week between classes working out at home and practicing whatever I learn in the class on Sunday.

10. S&CMAN

S&CMAN Valued Member

The classes are held in a school gym so only outside of school hours.

11. Instructor_Jon

I think that is a very reasonable comprimise, your lucky, sounds like you might have stumbled upon a good one.

12. S&CMAN

S&CMAN Valued Member

Seems to be. There are alot of little kids in the beginner class which is 7 years+ so the instructor made it fun which is the whole point for me. I want to get in shape and have fun doing it.

I did feel a little weird though since I was the only adult in the class not there with their kids. Anyway, was more embarressed trying to make that yelling sound without sounding like an idiot...How do you do that anyway?

13. Grizwald

Grizwald Valued Member

I've been in some mixed adult/kids classes and they have tended to pair up the adults, I wouldn't worry about that fact you don't have kids in the class.

For the ki hup (yell), I found it took me some time to get comfortable with that. But now it is kind of fun! Everybody seems to settle in on their own take on it, some people almost say words like 'ace' or 'ho' or something.

The key is to engage your abs and exhale. In my class it doesn't seem to matter what exact sound you make while doing that, just make it loud!

14. Instructor_Jon

Ehhh it's martial arts class, wear funny clothes, make funny sounds...just enjoy it.

15. Elpatzer

Elpatzer Valued Member

my 2 cents ...

I attend "family classes" with my family no less. Typically adults are paired with adults there have been very rare occasions when I personally have been paired with youths. I suspect this has to do with a couple things, I have a background in coaching so I know how to work with younger people and I'm a fairly small adult.

Being an old person though, I must admit that I find anything less than 3 times / week really difficult. So if I am going twice a week I must supplement with home training or I'm just spinning my wheels. If I were to attend class once / week I would need to be working out at home 2-3 additional times.