19 year old master

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Shodai, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Shodai

Shodai Valued Member

well i have a few concerns, my buddy is taking lessons from this 19 year old who claims he's a Soke,and he is in the Marital Arts Hall Of Fame

and i looked online, and he is in the Hall of fame, how can this be when he is only 19, fishy to me.

i just wanna know everyone elses opinion on this, cause i dont get it.

2. illumin7

illumin7 Valued Member

Have you got a link to this so called hall of fame?

3. Stanislovas

Stanislovas Valued Member

Same name as the guy? If my name was Bruce Lee, I'd be telling everyone about all of the awesome movies I starred in.

4. Shodai

Shodai Valued Member

5. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

You can pay to have your name added to that site*
    there is an invisible h in the last word

6. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

There is no universal "martial arts hall of fame" - it looks to me like a marketing group.

7. Shodai

Shodai Valued Member

i was thinking that too...my freind says he has shown him pics and stuff,but ya, i figured you can pay

8. illumin7

illumin7 Valued Member

This is the guy right?

2009 Inductees.

Daniel Young………………………………………..…………………….Instructor
    Soke Young studies Young Ninpo Tai Jitsu, Karate, Ryukyu Kenpo, Jujitsu, Aikido, Kyusha, Tuite-Jitsu, Kubodo, and many others. He has been learning the martial arts for 16 years, most of his life and is a multiple-time black belt champion. He is an instructor at Young’s Martial Arts Academy in Ohio.

HOLD UP!!!

Ashida Kim………..…………………..………………….Grandmaster of the Year
    Grandmaster Ashida Kim began his martial arts career as a boy, watching soldiers practice Judo on the Army bases where his father was stationed. In high school he was on the wrestling team. At university, he studied Shotokan Kara-Te. In 1968 he was present at the Democratic national Convention in Chicago and became a member of the Black Dragon Fighting Society by learning John Keehan’s Dance of Death. Since that time he has trained and taught and practiced to be a better person. In October 2008 he was reunited with two of the original students of Count Dante.

On June 10, 2009 he was promoted to Judan, 10th degree, Yudansha by BDFS Grandmaster Doug Dwyer in recognition of his training, contributions and long standing in the martial arts community.

Ok the fact Ashida Kim is on there has my spider sense tingling.

9. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

These "Hall of fame" websites are universally useless because they will basically induct anyone whose cheque clears. A 19 year old may be reasonable at a martial art, but a grandmaster? Not a chance.

Tell your buddy that one way or another he's training with someone either too ignorant to realise that such titles aren't awarded to 19 year olds or too fraudulent to take seriously.

Either way, he needs to find a new school.

10. Topher

Topher allo!

Being on a list with Ashida Kim is NOTHING to brag about!

11. Shodai

Shodai Valued Member

12. Aegis

13. Gary - Enshin

Gary - Enshin Valued Member

If it sounds too good to be true ...

It probably is.

Gary

14. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

This link explains all , scroll down to the second page

15. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Yep, 19 is a bit young to be an expert in marriage ;)

Sorry, couldn't resist! :D

16. Aegis

Marvellous! Good spot, Col, I hadn't seen that rather awesome typo :D

17. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

Another thing, I thought to be called 'Soke' you had be the founder of an art?

18. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Look at his bio again. He teaches "Young Ninpo Taijutsu" or some such. His name is Daniel Young. He founded his own style. Hence "soke," "grandmaster," etc.

I think it's perfectly reasonable for a 19-year-old to be a good teacher of martial arts. But these shenanigans would prompt me to leave post haste.

Stuart

19. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

Here's mine: Wtf.

This just screams suspicion.

and maybe i only been training now seven months in ma's but i do know when something smells fishy.

20. Shodai

Shodai Valued Member