10 Techniques I can fight with...

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by Kiyoshi's Dad, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Kiyoshi's Dad

Kiyoshi's Dad New Member

Ed Parker said something like "give me 10 techniques that I can fight with vs. a 100 that fight me".

What would your 10 Techniques list look like?

2. Hapkido

Hapkido New Member

a mini gun and 99 rounds. id end up getting a double headshot cs style. BOOYAH!

honestly, i dont understand this question.

3. #1 Stutta

#1 Stutta The New Boot

I think he's asking what your top 10 favorite techniques are that you learned in MA.

4. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

hmmm... If I could perfect ten techniques-

sprawl
    armbar
    RNC
    ground n pound
    lead hook
    rear roundhouse
    cross
    jab
    clinch and knee
    clinch and elbow

kind of hard to make ground fighting moves into techniques but i tried :D

5. alex_000

alex_000 You talking to me?

I think its good to fight with ten teqniques you've practiced to perfection and thats the plan i have on my mind for a complete fighter - In striking that is.

I'm preety much agree with Ikken on this one.

Jab
    Cross
    Left and right Hook
    Left and right Elbow
    Clinch and knee
    Rear rounhouse
    Frond Side kick
    Neck chocke
    Low rounhouse-or low kick as we call it.
    Grapping both knees with hands to trip one over and sitting on chest to pound his face ( I love that one)

I guess the list gonna chagne some of that after some years in judo wich i'm startin in a month. :D

Last edited: Jul 29, 2004
  6. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

Jab
    Cross
    Hook
    Uppercut
    Backfist / Sweeping Backfist
    Sau Choi (sweeping hook punch)
    Assorted Knee Strikes
    Sweeping elbow strike
    Tsun Toi (Knee crusher)
    Sidekick

7. redbull

redbull New Member

I don't think that ground and pound would qualify as a technique, it is more of a strategy.

My 10 techniques would be:

uchi mata (judo)
    double leg takedown
    arm bar
    sleeper
    jab
    cross
    hook
    uppercut
    round kick
    front kick

Last edited: Jul 29, 2004
  8. Tigermoth

Tigermoth New Member

How about yellow through orange because I've practiced them so many times I could do them in my sleep, upside down, with my tongue tied around my head :D . Well maybe not yet but I'm getting there :rolleyes: . Maybe I should master them on the opposite side before I say that too :Angel: .

1.Delayed Sword
    2.Obscure Wing
    3.Sword of Destruction
    4.Lone Kimono
    5.Thrusting Salute
    6.Beheading the dragon
    7.Escaping Ram
    8.Thrusting release
    9.Returning serpent
    10.Deflecting Thunder
    ..11.Thunder and Lightning

Go J

9. alex_000

LOL tiger most of your techniques sound like heavy metal songs. :D :D -No offence intended-

Last edited: Jul 30, 2004
  10. RichieRich

RichieRich Valued Member

Yeah, and Beheading the dragon was a B side! :p

11. Tigermoth

Tigermoth New Member

Kenpo Rocks

Try remembering 55 weird names like that. Of course some kenpo systems have hundreds. I don't know if they name them all though. They all have meanings. Like thunder stands for a kick and lightning stands for a punch. Maybe we should make a Kenpo compilation CD.

12. Kiyoshi's Dad

Kiyoshi's Dad New Member

I like what this thread has done.

A Kenpo Technique is more than just a punch or a kick, it is a Self Defense Technique Combination. It should contain a block, a body movement, a series of strikes or kicks and end with a takedown or knockdown. The names are just there to help us remember the movements and they actually become a language in them selves.

A Kenpo Technique is a stragety to put down an attacker is seconds so you can deal with other attackers or exit. It is not a rigid series of movements, but is alive and can change course as needed.

like my favorite... SWORD OF DESTRUCTION. (as taught to me by my insturctors... don't send my letters saying I'm doing it wrong, please).

Defense against a left punch to the head.
    1. left foot drops back to 6 o'clock, left hand comes up and does a half circle parry to your right shoulder, right hand does an extended outward block to the inside of the attackers arm.
    2. slide your right foot back into a cat stance, do a snapping ball kick (front kick) to the attackers groin.
    3. open your right hand and do a downward knifehand chop to the attackers neck.
    (the takedown can be any type, a knock down, another strike or kick, a throw or trip).

I like to think of a Kenpo Technique as being a mini Karate lesson. We learn the base technique then ask ourselves, What if he does this... and What else can I do to him?

13. Colin Linz

Colin Linz Valued Member

10 favourite techniques, that’s difficult. It would be easy to say what my favourite technique is, but 10. I thought I would just pick 5 juho and 5 goho style techniques, that way I can stay within the philosophy of go ju itai. My favourite technique would be Gyaku gote.

Goho
    Tsukiten ichi
    Uchiuke duki
    Tsubame gaesi
    Kintekigeri hizauke namigaeshi
    Haraiuke chini

Juho
    Gyaku gote
    Katate nage
    Oshi gote
    Johaku gote
    Sodemaki gaeshi

14. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

Hmm

1. Jab/Reverse (Can I count that as 1, well Im going to for now)
    2. Double punch (Pushing people away from you but with closed hands)
    3. Roundhouse kick(As I do TKD I am going to allow myself to not target kicks to a specific body part, I can do them all easy)
    4. Elbow strikes
    5. Knee strikes
    6. Choke holds
    7. Kote Gaeshi(Aikido technique even I can do, nice)
    8. Irimi Nage(Likewise)
    9. Front snap kick
    10. Side kick

But thats not entirely in the right order and I cant decide if I have to count hooks as a different technique to the other hand stuff, then I have to lose knee strikes or Irimi Nage and I havent included any floor fighting, face bars and stuff, aarghh! Also do I count elbows and punches as different techniques, they dont feel different to me, they both feel natural!

Plus can I count combos as one technique, if I can I like shoving people away from me then launching a roundhouse? Its all so difficult, theres only one way to sort it out, I need ten volounteers to try and attack me in a really clumsy ineffective manner...

15. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

Although we do have a number of self-defense techniques, we don't use the heavy-metal names for them (that is so ROFL!!!) we use numbers. But I don't think listing the names or numbers really helps this discussion...

A Kenpo SD technique is "designed" to end a fight. That is, if you can execute it properly, the opponent id unable to continue. So I think the original question is, if you could have 10 techniques that you could use at full speed on a real opponent, what would they be?

"DM 14" is a technique that blocks left hook, right hook, then attacks the head and body.

"DM 16" moves to the outside with a parry, re-direct, and shots to the head, with movement to end up behind them.

"Knife 1" a knife defense vs a thrust, to a wristlock, arm break and take down.

"Knife 3" defense vs back-hand slash, with wrist lock and head and body strikes.

"Knife 5" escape from a hold with knife at neck, to an elbow break and head shots.

"Grab 10" a mount reversal

"Grab 8" a choke escape with arm break and body strikes

"DM 9" a straight punch defense with multiple kicks to the knee and body.

"Gun 4" an escape from a gun to the rear of the head, with arm break.

"Run 1" an escape from any situation not covered above...

If I could execute these 10 techniques at realistic speed against a fully resisting opponent (that is "perfect them"), I would be very close to un-muggable.

16. alex_000

interesting... i would like to see that in action.

17. Tigermoth

Tigermoth New Member

"ROFL"? :confused:

18. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

well, I can't do that (because I don't have a video camera) but here's how it goes

As the attacker punches with a right to the body, block it using a right hand downward palm block while stepping back with the left foot(1). As the attacker follows up with a left hook, block that with a right hand rising crane wrist block(2). (Left low hand positional check) Strike the left side of attacker's face with tiger claw or palm heel(3), then a straight left thrust punch to an open target (solar plexus, face, jaw, etc)(4). then left front kick to groin or solar plexus(5).

(oh wait that's right hook left hook, but it can be done on either side..., just switch left for right :) )

19. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

Rolling On Floor Laughing

20. alex_000

Thanks a lot. As a boxer I would advise you not to block a hook with the wrist/or hand (if you want to keep your fingers that is , + is very difficult to catch it with so small curfaice area - your wrist.) We just lift the elbow and the hitter hurts a lot more , if not break something...

But hey that's just me talking crap , I guess you have a way to do it that works. I'd love to see it in motion.