Hardest workout I've ever done (?)

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Cuchulain82, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Cuchulain82

Cuchulain82 Custodia Legis

I thought everyone here would appreciate hearing about a workout that really killed me. I got it from the gymjones site. If you haven't checked out the site, you should. It is something between crossfit and T-nation. Anyway, here's the workout. They called it "Sparrow's Dozens".

http://www.gymjones.com/schedule.php?date=20060423

I didn't do ball slams because my gym is a little too... tame. So I did full ROM situps instead. Also, my bodyweight is 235, so that's what I deadlifted.

The workout was brutal- I made it through 8 circuits and then I was toasted. I threw up after the 6th circuit. It took me 1:03:00 (hr:mins:secs). The guy who posted the workout did all 12 circuits in 0:52:27. yikes!

Enjoy!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2007
  2. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Very crossfit. Looks pretty daunting, that's a hell of a lot of work for someone at 235!

3. Cuchulain82

That particular workout is pretty similar to most crossfit stuff. They do alot of other stuff as well though- more weight/olympic lift routines, etc. Dan John has worked out there (still does?) so that's a hell of an endorsement.

The reason I found the site is because that is where the cast of 300 trained to get ready for the movie. I saw the movie and assumed the actors got so big with splits, bodybuilding lifts, and HGH. But if gymjones.com is to be believed, the cast got so ripped by busting their tails. Pretty cool! :D

It was awful. It really just hurt. I mean... I puked in the middle- that hasn't happened to me since high school! I don't know how much the fact that I weigh 235 had to do with it- with all those types of workouts you're supposed to go as hard as you can and get it done as fast as possible.

They have some great workouts and lots of good videos- check them out if you have a few minutes.

Edit: Actually, do you know what bodypart seems to have suffered the most? My hands. My lower back and hamstrings are really sore, and my back is generally stiff, but my hands are just shot. I have blisters and one of my callouses ripped off so I have an exposed spot of raw skin. I was surprised my hands suffered so much!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2007
  4. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Looks like a bastardised crossfit girl. They do as many rounds in 20minutes, I think I recall. An hour is too long. If the aim is to improve your heart health surely tabata sprints would be just as good.

I finish my workouts with long stride overhead lunges and an ab exercises they get me tired quick.

5. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Doesn't surprise me about the hands, 12 rep deads and chins will do that!

6. Cuchulain82

Think what you want. I found it to be different than crossfit. Check out the website, or even better, do a workout or two. Then tell me what you think.

7. flaming

flaming Valued Member

I cannot think what goal someone would have to want, to reccomend a workout like that.

It makes me think of what I have heard martial artists call, conditioning. Like a shaolin monk whaking a table with a broom for half a day with a bucket of water on his head.

8. Socrastein

Socrastein The Boxing Philosopher

Anaerobic conditioning, general physical preparedness, and weight loss through EPOC. Great goals, and a great, though brutal, way to achieve them.

9. flaming

flaming Valued Member

The same epoc could come from tabata sprints, or deadlifting a 1RM.

10. Cuchulain82

I have to disagree. The volume of work done with this workout was simply greater. I've done tabatas and heavy deadlifts. They feel different. I did more reps with this one workout in an hour than I usually do in a week.

Now, hi-rep, low-rep... whatever. I'm not endorsing one over the other. If I had to liken this workout to something, it would be similar to a long sprint routine- because you're going against the clock, you go as hard as you can. I only stopped when I couldn't physically do an exercise. Then I rested... and when I could do more, I did.

Edit- Before criticizing the workout any more, you should really check out the site. The workout is out of context here at MAP, and I think it would make more sense if you check out the site and the people who are a part of the gym.

Also, what is a "bastardized crossfit girl"? What do you mean?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2007
  11. BigRed389

BigRed389 Valued Member

I've checked it out. It's very similar to crossfit...seriously look at a typical crossfit workout, and you'll see they pretty much follow identical training principles.

Supposedly, Gym Jones ripped off Crossfit, but whatever...they've both got excellent workouts.
    Though I think Crossfit is a lot more "accessible" in terms of "encouraging" people.

12. Cuchulain82

Maybe they did, maybe not- I really don't care. The fact that Dan John is involved and that Mark Wight was a top-level alpine climber gives credibilty imho.

Edit- Is anyone else going to try this thing? I was secretly hoping that if I did it and posted it, someone else would try as well and then post a time...

13. NewLearner

NewLearner Valued Member

Nah. Too much work.

14. BigRed389

BigRed389 Valued Member

Agreed...who really cares? Both provide similar workouts...for free.

Only difference is CrossFit is more "commercial" making it more "accessible" to the general public.
    Whereas Gym Jones takes a very, "kiss my ass" approach. :D

Different strokes for different folks I say.

15. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

Cuch...thanks for sharing the link. They have some interesting stuff there.

16. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Longer in duration.

17. Dao

Dao Valued Member

G'day mate,
    I am game!
    I will do the workout tommorrow night and post my thoughts tuesday!
    Bit hard to get a real good idea of a workout, or martial arts technique for that matter, from the office chair.
    It is always easier to theorise and critisise than actually give it a shot!

Dao

18. Cuchulain82

You're welcome!

BS- you've never seen the site before?

@Dao

Post your time and how the workout went.

19. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

Looks pretty hard, very much about power reletive to your body.

I've seen a crossfit workout but meh, this looks interesting. Certainly will get you ripped and fit!

20. BigRed389

BigRed389 Valued Member

By which he means there are Crossfit workouts that have "girl" names attached to them...and this is pretty much along the same lines.

Nothing "girly" about them, just that they're named after girls, while others are named after KIA war vets, etc.