returning aafter ankle injury

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by galorin, Oct 23, 2006.

1. galorin

galorin New Member

I injured my ankle a while back, tore a ligament or two, still have a bit of a limp, and limited mobility. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for increasing mobility and something that I can do to burn off calories since my ankle really does not like even light jogging.

-Galorin

2. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Physical therapy, with a physical therapist.
    At least get a personalized list of exercises from a therapist.

3. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

As AikiMac has said, for proper advice you need to go to the physio. There are plenty of sites that give info on rehab but until you know exactly what the problem is, it would be foolish to try to make up a routine for yourself.

The physio will probably give you a mix of strengthening and stretching exercises (that's what I'm currently doing for my ankle) but is best to have these tailormade to your injury.

As for cardio work, it depends how painful your ankle actually is, I found stationary bike work to be my saviour (you can do distance, intervals and tabata sets) and you could try swimming - but be careful when pushing off from the wall.

4. galorin

galorin New Member

thanks Frodo, that was exactly what I was after. I'll be doing the physio in a few months (got a bit of a waiting list) but I'll try the cardio stuff that you've suggested.

5. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

Physios generally know the biz. I have messed up knees, from physio exercises they are getting better all the time.

6. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

band exercises- work the ankle in all four directions, forward,back,and side to side. i have torn all the ligaments in both ankles and these worked for me.

7. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter