Mark Rippetoe's Starting strength: A Beginners Routine focusing on Compound Movements

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by SickDevildog, Oct 4, 2006.

1. SickDevildog

SickDevildog Lost In The Sauce

I didn't want this thread to go under in the H&F section so I'm posting it here.

I came across this gem of a workout when I was browsing the www.bodybuilding.com forums. (gasp :eek: ) This routine has been recommended for everyone from beginners to someone that hasn't been focusing on his big lifts for years. So if you've been doing Legpresses and smith machine curls for most of your "workouts" this is for you.

Don't let the place where I found this fool you neither, it's a program designed to increase your strength first and foremost, and let other programs worry about the "pump" and "toning" (insert anything else you associate with bodybuilding here). :D
    www.startingstrength.com

The program focuses on compund movements and forcing your body to adapt to a stimulus by increasing the weight by ~2.5% every session.

I quoted all this information because I know from experience how some people wont bother clicking the link but will read the whole thing if it's smack dead in front of them. ;)

Here's the big thread that got me started: (2376 posts, have fun)
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=712752

The Basics:
    Here's a Faq on the routine:
    http://www.myjavaserver.com/~yianni/shortone/RippetoeWriteupWithFAQ.html#faq8

I started the program this week, and am looking forward to the strength gains that are bound to come.

A couple of things I've learned sofar:

Warmups:
    It's always a good idea to do a warmup that closely resembles what you're about to do for the main part of your workout session. In this case, the strength session, we want to start off with bodyweight or lightweight excercises that mimick the excercises that are about to come, and work up to our 50-90% max. This is not set in stone, if you want to do burpees, pullups and squat-jumps as your warmup feel free to do so.

Most people however, including BlessedSamurai (to name a familiar name ;) ) and other strength and conditioning coaches, do something similar this:

1x8 Bar
    1x6 50%
    1x4 70%
    1x2 90%
    3x5 100% (Work Set)

Rest periods:
    Keep the rest periods between 60-120 seconds, you can get away with 60 seconds or less when the weights are still light. As the weight increases you might want to add to the rest times aswell. I'm with Chad Waterbury on this when he says keep the rest periods low for strength and muscle gains.

Extra excercises: (Accessory Work)
    Again, the accessory work isn't set in stone, but it's a good bet to add chins and dips with a set/rep range that you're comfortable with. I'm using 3x3 for pullups and adding 1 rep every week, I'm also doing GTG for pullups on a daily basis so I kept the workload low.

The program calls for either Rows or Snatches, you might want to do both, so here's what another forum member did:

That's it for now, if there's anything else that you think needs covering feel free to post.

I'm on the first week of this program, here's my journal if you're wondering about the progress one can make. Don't laugh at the weights, I know I'm weak. :cool:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=916783

Last edited: Oct 5, 2006
  2. ItalianStallion

ItalianStallion Valued Member

Great post :)

3. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Great looong post! I have to agree that compound exercises are the grassroots to any type of weightlifting routine. They are also a great tool to use if you have been lifting for a while and want to shake up your routine. If you want to get bigger, stronger, etc., compounds are the way to go.

4. SickDevildog

5. ItalianStallion

Did you forget the link to the checklist :rolleyes: ?

6. Andrew69

Andrew69 New Member

Rippetoe cant be beat for increasing the strength of 99% of people IMO.

The book (Starting Strength) is one of the best books on coaching beginners available

7. SickDevildog

Whoops ;)

Anyone know a site where I can upload excel worksheets for free? I got 2 Ripptoe worksheets with all the information already written down and putfile wont let me upload it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 6, 2006
  8. SickDevildog

9. ItalianStallion

10. SickDevildog

No problemo

11. tetsu ryu

tetsu ryu Death is always a option!

I think this would be a great h&f sticky! im definitely gonna try this one out. im very happy about the time taken to explain each exercise although basic they are... still.. im very glad you found this gem of a routine
    sickdevildog. :p

12. SickDevildog

13. SickDevildog

14. rsm688

rsm688 Valued Member

rippetoes is great, i did it for 6 months and now i do a modified version of it that i came up with. strength gains are huge, i added about 20lbs to almost all my lifts the first month of it

15. SickDevildog

Good to see it's working for you.

I'm back on SS aswell, im on week 3 and the weights on the Squat and DL are already starting to feel heavy, I'ma have to reset doon I think. Damn me and those big jumps in weights!